What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How hot is it?

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
It’s hotter than nickel night at a brothel……

What are folks doing to stay cool during this heat wave when working in the hangar?

I’m using a portable room air conditioner with flexible duct blowing the hot air outside and the cool air directly on me.

And please stay hydrated.

GET OVER IT!!!!!!!

What are folks doing to stay cool during this heat wave when working in the hangar?
I’m using a portable room air conditioner with flexible duct blowing the hot air outside and the cool air directly on me.

I've lived in Texas for over 80 years. It's supposed to be hot during the 10 months of summer!

What drives me up the wall is that the media has to sensationalize things by expounding the "HEAT INDEX".

Last edited:
BUT..............

I've lived in Texas for over 80 years. It's supposed to be hot during the 10 months of summer!
What drives me up the wall is that the media has to sensationalize things by expounding the "HEAT INDEX".

If you really need a "saying", It's hotter than Aggie Night at the Chicken Ranch!

Just came back from Texas/cruise. Good on you guys for dealing with it. Was freakin miserable! Reminded me of living in Florida but worse. haha

Hot

There's a reason we moved. Texas was miserable and ATX roads were a parking lot 24x7.
We rarely break 90. Our house doesn't have an AC.
Windows open about 6PM and close in the morning. Usually stays about 70 all day inside. 6" frame house.
Keep the heat. No thank you.

I was 29 before I had a house with AC. 35 before I had AC in a car.

I can't believe what wimps you guys are. Next you'll be putting AC in you airplanes.

Exactly the way Minnesotans feel about "WIND CHILL INDEX" ;)

I was working on the hangar today and going in and out all day. The dehumidifier running in my hangar was doing its job but it was still warm. I said "Alexa, fans on" and my two ceiling fans came on. Was still a little warmer than I would like so I walked over to the NEST thermostat and turned the temperature down to 80. It was comfortable in the hangar every time I walked back in after that.

Yes I have a heat pump for my hangar.

Last edited:
It’s not the heat, it’s the humidity…..

Attachments

• IMG_0935.jpg
    IMG_0935.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 69
I was 29 before I had a house with AC. 35 before I had AC in a car.

I can't believe what wimps you guys are. Next you'll be putting AC in you airplanes.

I was 72 before I installed a Mini-Split AC unit in my hangar....SOOOOOooooo nice. Heat in the winter. Cool in the Summer.

I was 72 before I installed a Mini-Split AC unit in my hangar....SOOOOOooooo nice. Heat in the winter. Cool in the Summer.

Just installed a mini-split in the 12 X 20 office I built in the hangar, what a difference:D

I also have a roll around free standing AC unit that I position where I am working and a big fan to keep the air moving in the main hangar area.

All works OK for a day at the hangar in this weather.
Figs

Not gonna change for a while with those 2 stalled fronts.

Attachments

• IMG_0937.jpg
    IMG_0937.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 80
I had to put my coffee in an insulated mug to keep it from getting too hot.

Been getting up @ 3am to get started.Then wrap it up by 9/9:30am. I can usually get 20 miles in on the road bike after that. Been working ok so far.

80* and 50% RH at 3am today. Felt sooo good to cool off a little. Only hit 104* today :)

Chandler, AZ.

21 days over a 100

Work at the hangar on the shady side from 0700 until noon. Home to the Nut Farm to do the farming chores. I lived in Wyoming for 10 years and hated the cold. Sometimes we had 12 airplanes to preheat before we could fly. I might heat my RV a couple of times a year. I’m a warm weather person. Our Great Pyrenees hates the heat, but she is still on guard at night.

It's not just heat, it's dehydration.

The funny thing about dehydration is that it has some of the same physiological effects as being drunk, just without the pleasant buzz. Headache, fatigue and mood shifts are pretty easily recognizable, but it also impairs decision making and memory retention.

Impaired decision making and memory retention aren't compatible with safe aviation.

If you don't let yourself get dehydrated, the heat isn't comfortable, but it's mostly fine. If it's getting above 100º you probably should be drinking a gallon of water over the course of the day and doing something about electrolyte balance (eg diluting a sports drink into your water jug)

- mark

Too poor for a hangar. Swamp cooler for the garage and another fan inside the fuselage when I'm working in there. I need to get some kind of panels so I can block off the sides of the garage that are open when I'm running the swamp cooler. Honestly though, when it's above 110 it's cooler to just leave the door closed and run the fans.

I live along the gulf coast of Alabama about 15 miles north of the beach so it gets hot here, not Texas hot but hot. I built the subcomponents of my RV in my house and when I was ready to begin final assembly I moved my Cessna 152 out to the ramp... (She was looking at me like "I've been living in this hanger for 10 years... What's going on???"). Incidentally, my 152 is now part of a flight school in Georgia.

After I had to start spending lots of time in this heat I had to come up with something. Here's what I did and as simple as it seems, it helped alot. Of course a fan ran all the time. I kept an ice chest full of ice and drinks and I also kept a spray bottle of water in there. I would get that chilled bottle of water out as often as needed and mist the ice cold spray on my head, face, neck, arms, chest etc. Sometimes wiping off with a towel and others just standing in the moving air. Along with drinking ice cold drinks it was the only thing that helped me make it through. The misting of cold water really helped. A few times I went so far as to hose my self off using the FBO's hose. Just using the spray bottle of water would leave me with a refreshed feeling along with a renewed energy and focus.

Last edited:
I had some lab work done today. Although it wasn’t for dehydration, the numbers were classic examples of dehydration.

With this heat, I have been profusely sweating working outside and knocking down lots of water. However I was alkalotic and electrolytes were out of range.

I was able to pee several times a day and urine was light straw colored so I thought I was good but I can say I haven’t felt right for the past 2 days which I attributed to the heat.

Since I avoid the sugar in drinks like Gatoraid, water is my main go to. Also, this heat killed my appetite and food consumption was way down which means I’m not getting the sodium and potassium needed.

As you know, sweat is the body’s way of cooling itself. Problem is the humidity has been so high that the sweat isn’t evaporating and you sweat even more to try to cool yourself.

I’m heading to the store now to get some zero calorie electrolyte drinks.

So this is your safety tip today - If you don’t feel like yourself and you’re sweating heavily, get some salts in you.

Back