What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Horizontal cold air with vans cowl

RyanWhite

Has anyone modified a vans cowl with normal scoop to integrate an air filter and pipe it to lycoming cold air sump with SDS? I know this is probably a lot of work probably cutting the scoop into its separate piece. Just curious if anyone has attempted this. I would go showplanes cowl (original plan) but now that there are no deletions…..

To accommodate a horizontal intake, you will need to cut off the standard updraft chin scoop and carb/fuel servo bump out. Should be not too difficult if you’re comfortable with fiberglass work - or willing to learn (self taught). That’s how many of us have done it with no prior fiberglass experience. You might also consider a smooth bottom F1 Rocket cowl chin scoop, which is removable. You don’t need the entire bottom cowl, just the chin scoop, which faces forward with its opening below the prop spinner. It would make bottom cowl removal much easier too. Vince Frazier (FlyBoy) might have some info on this approach.

Fitting a new cowl is substantially more work than chopping off the original chin scoop and glassing in the hole.

With that I'd use the Van's production horizontal induction filter/duct which takes its air from the LH inlet ramp. Not sure those are typically used on -10's, but don't see why they wouldn't fit, or lightly modified to make fit if necessary.

Has anyone modified a vans cowl with normal scoop to integrate an air filter and pipe it to lycoming cold air sump with SDS? I know this is probably a lot of work probably cutting the scoop into its separate piece. Just curious if anyone has attempted this. I would go showplanes cowl (original plan) but now that there are no deletions…..

I am currently in this exact position. Just got the cowl pinned on and now looking to solve this CAI to cowl issue

Good past design discussion here:
https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=175589

As Scott said, you're probably better off to remove the enclosure intended for the vertical induction system, then build to suit. I'm sure a filter and duct could be fabricated to fit inside the vertical induction cowl, but it's really not in the right location for efficient feed to a horizontal manifold.

SDS would make design easier, as the (1) throttle body is shorter, which would ease packaging, and (2) it has no pressure sampling for metering. Although none is better, it should be insensitive to a moderate degree of turbulent flow entering the throttle body.

After living with it 13 years, I still love having the intake scoop section of the cowl as a separate piece, on and off with Skybolts.

Attachments

• P7050007.JPG
    P7050007.JPG
    226 KB · Views: 19
  • P7050008.JPG
    P7050008.JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 12
  • PB150002.jpg
    PB150002.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 12
  • PB150005.JPG
    PB150005.JPG