What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hinge Covers

Doug Rohrer

Well Known Member
I have not permanently installed the front top fuse cover, as I am still finalizing wiring behind the panel. I have test fitted the canopy, and all seems to fit well. However, as I made up the little hinge covers, they seemed kind of small and fussy, and the slots they fit in require trimming and sealing. For those with completed aircraft, do these little covers work OK? What happens when the canopy is removed for service? They just look really fragile, and I have not been able to study a completed airplane to see how they fit and hold up.

I felt the same way. I didn't see how you would get the covers off once installed and be able to reuse them. You could make up a few sets when the the plane is painted.

I decided to go with a piece of vinyl tape over each spot.
Being a Taildragger and cowling be higher they are not really noticeable.

There are some after market solutions out there made out of a UHNW like material. https://www.rvplasticparts.com/product-page/rv14-canopy-hinge-cover

Attachments

• IMG_6600.jpg
    IMG_6600.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
After going thru the stock hinge covers, I switched to the RV Plastics version and am satisfied. Sealing the leading canopy edge against rain using either the aluminum or the RV Plastics hinge cover is a challenge.

I felt the same way. I didn't see how you would get the covers off once installed and be able to reuse them. You could make up a few sets when the the plane is painted.

I decided to go with a piece of vinyl tape over each spot.
Being a Taildragger and cowling be higher they are not really noticeable.

There are some after market solutions out there made out of a UHNW like material. https://www.rvplasticparts.com/product-page/rv14-canopy-hinge-cover

Pretty much exactly what I did - had about 3 extra sets painted and stowed away. The tape is insurance and doesn't look bad at all.

After going thru the stock hinge covers, I switched to the RV Plastics version and am satisfied. Sealing the leading canopy edge against rain using either the aluminum or the RV Plastics hinge cover is a challenge.

Anything you can share in particular? I still get a few raindrops on my feet when flying through rain. I've replaced the front canopy seal with a double D seal and used silicone around the RV Plastics hinge covers.

I’m just finishing up section 38 and made some small mods that may help If you’re going with the oem clips.
20231128_181333.jpeg
I bent the clip slightly to give it a spring action. When sliding them in you can actually hear it “click” into the slot.

20231128_172638.jpeg
The bend did not change after multiple test fits.

20231129_140638.jpeg
I made an install/removal tool out of a rivet and heat shrink to prevent over extending the retaining clip. The rivet extends about .085” past the heat shrink, ymmv
I had enough material in my finish kit (2021) for two sets of clips.

Back