What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hiding Mounting Hardware for Avionics Trays

Hello, I am working through how to mount up all my avionics trays behind my panel. I have seen photographs (include a few from stein here) that seem to somehow hide the front panel mount holes for the hardware that holds the aluminum angle that holds the racks.

From the attached drawing for the GTR225 for example, the bezel size of the unit is not big enough to "cover" any hardware to the left and right of the unit itself. I had assumed the bezel of these units would cover the hardware used to mount the angle. That doesnt seem to be the case.

I think I am just missing some type of obvious solution, hmm.

Attachments

• gtr drawing.JPG
    gtr drawing.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 82
  • stein2.JPG
    stein2.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 143
On my airplanes I’ve screwed aluminum angle to the panel for tray support. Obviously the screws are visible. But you could flush rivet the angles to the panel to make the hardware invisible after paint.

I think i may have just figured it out. Looks like on the RV14, Vans was smart enough to just make the center panel rack the standard tray width (approximately). So I can screw the trays right to that.

After about a day a searching, I post this, then found the applicable build log from someone else. I've attached photos for anyone else who may find this thread.

Attachments

• IMG_7483.JPG
    IMG_7483.JPG
    322.9 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_7482.JPG
    IMG_7482.JPG
    274.1 KB · Views: 171
Racks

That’s great if the 14 is ready to install equipment racks. Otherwise it’s usually install an angle or something then attach the racks to that. I flush riveted angles to the panel and installed nutplates on the angles to mount the racks.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Attachments

• IMG_8260.jpg
    IMG_8260.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_8261.jpg
    IMG_8261.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_8262.jpg
    IMG_8262.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 130
Hello, I am working through how to mount up all my avionics trays behind my panel. I have seen photographs (include a few from stein here) that seem to somehow hide the front panel mount holes for the hardware that holds the aluminum angle that holds the racks.

From the attached drawing for the GTR225 for example, the bezel size of the unit is not big enough to "cover" any hardware to the left and right of the unit itself. I had assumed the bezel of these units would cover the hardware used to mount the angle. That doesnt seem to be the case.

I think I am just missing some type of obvious solution, hmm.

I have been wondering about this as well for my RV-8 panel. For those of you with non-visible rivets attaching the radio tray mounting angles to the panel--are you just filling the flush rivet head and painting/powder coating?

I have been wondering about this as well for my RV-8 panel. For those of you with non-visible rivets attaching the radio tray mounting angles to the panel--are you just filling the flush rivet head and painting/powder coating?

I didn't make any attempt to fill them, just countersunk the rivets and then painted the panel. You'll never notice them. In the picture below you can see a couple of the rivet head outlines under the paint, but just barely

On my panel when everything's installed they're pretty well hidden by the flange of the screens, but even if they weren't you'd really have to be looking close and from just the right angle to see them.

Attachments

• IMG_8047.jpg
    IMG_8047.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_8248.jpg
    IMG_8248.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

With the typical material thickness of the panel, it has to be machine countersunk for flush rivets.
If that is done properly and the rivets are installed properly the rivets are pretty much invisible under paint or powder coating.

I would be hesitant to hide the rivets. When you revamp your panel to accommodate new avionics, and this will most likely happen if you keep your RV long enough, you may need to remove/modify those angles and hidden rivets will complicate the panel update process. As has been mentioned, paint is sufficient to blend the rivets.

Back