What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help needed for FADEC engine and Garmin G3X

N834ST

Fellow aviators,

I am in the process of retrofitting my G3X touch, with a GEA24 as the G3X won't talk to my Aerosance FADEC, despite it putting out a useful RS232 data stream. This means I need to double up on sensors because my FADEC is using a bunch right now including EGT, CHT, oil temp, oil pressure, fuel pressure, inlet temp.

Some things are easy, like just adding a second set of EGT, oil pressure and fuel pressure senders but the struggle comes when there are no other places on the engine for sensors. The key one is oil temp. I have only one port that I know of that is suitable for oil temp probe and it is already taken. I have an IOF-360 with a right angle oil filter adapter. The other one, which is just optional but nice to have, is CHT. As you know, only one bayonet fitting per cylinder.

Does anybody have enough knowledge to suggest other options for oil temp location? Can I use the galley plugs on the front of the engine?

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Mark.

Last edited:
If you really need to add additional sensors, would it be possible to put a tee in the oil line going to the cooler and place a sensor in either the branch or run?

What's the issue with the G3X not reading the data from your FADEC? Are the two companies not playing together?

dwb

The issue with using the cooler line is that it isn't always flowing. It only flows when the vernatherm valve opens :(

I guess because Aerosance is long gone and nobody is really using it, the Garmin guys don't think it is worth the time to develop the code to read it. Let alone the hassle of trying to find out the data message sentences.

Will the G3X guys accept the patch if you write it? I bet there is a coder or two on the forum who might be convinced to do it for you if you don't wish to.

On that note, does Garmin publish an API for the G3Xt system?

Will the G3X guys accept the patch if you write it? I bet there is a coder or two on the forum who might be convinced to do it for you if you don't wish to.

On that note, does Garmin publish an API for the G3Xt system?

Good questions, I wouldn't expect them to, but you never know. I would have no idea where to even start with that stuff.

Back