What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heater not effective

RV9 O-320 848 SMOH
Last year I installed a Vans Heat Muff on the left side exhaust. I didn't build this aircraft, and in it's previous life it was a warm weather aircraft that never flew in the winter. After one year, this heat muff does not throw out a lot of heat. I noticed that Spruce has a muff with a restrictor in the muff exhaust for about $200.00 I can't decide if I should do that or simply add stainless steel scrubby pads from Wal-Mart to increase surface area, and more importantly reduce flow(about $2.62. The intake on the muff comes from the passenger side baffling and has a sizeable diameter, at least 1 1/2", but I believe I used 2" scat tubing when I plumbed it so it may be larger. The scrubbies may help, and I am wondering if someone else has used these and the result of same. See photo. Thanks Joe

Attachments

• scotchbrite.jpg
    scotchbrite.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 26
The scrubbies may help, but just as important is to seal either the places where internal (warm) air is escaping or where cold air is entering.

There are known fixes for air leaks - canopy seals, baggage area seals, aileron push/pull tube seals, etc. All of which you can search for on the forum.

RV9 O-320 848 SMOH
Last year I installed a Vans Heat Muff on the left side exhaust. I didn't build this aircraft, and in it's previous life it was a warm weather aircraft that never flew in the winter. After one year, this heat muff does not throw out a lot of heat. I noticed that Spruce has a muff with a restrictor in the muff exhaust for about $200.00 I can't decide if I should do that or simply add stainless steel scrubby pads from Wal-Mart to increase surface area, and more importantly reduce flow(about $2.62. The intake on the muff comes from the passenger side baffling and has a sizeable diameter, at least 1 1/2", but I believe I used 2" scat tubing when I plumbed it so it may be larger. The scrubbies may help, and I am wondering if someone else has used these and the result of same. See photo. Thanks Joe

There have been cases where those scrubbiest have worn a hole in the actual exhaust...which is bad because that exhaust is then directed into the cabin...

I you look at a standard muffler, there are welded studs to increase the surface area; those stud usually cannot vibrate and wear holes in the exhaust.'

I would not recommend the scrubbies.

scrubbies scrubbed

Thanks for your input. Unless I can fabricate my own restrictor, I will buy the Spruce custom heat exchanger. CO is nothing to trifle with.

Joe

Joe,
Here is another approach. Not my idea. I saved these pics from a post a couple of years ago and unfortunately, I didn't save a link to the thread. The poster commented that this worked very well. You get the idea. Not hard to make if you have the equipment.

RV-heat-muff-1.jpeg

RV-heat-muff-2.jpeg

Back