What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Having Second Thoughts 6A vs 6

4. Here's the big one: When you want to SELL the plane it will be way easier.

Woodman

I beg to differ...I have watched the RV market for the last 5 yrs and A models consistently sell for less than an equally equipped normal RV. So they may sell "easier", but for less money - my perception only I have not done a detailed market analysis.

As it's been said here hundreds of times before, 'build what you want'. As long as you're happy there is no one else to please. Of course, I recommend the taildragger - as always.

Regards,

Last edited:
Nose wheel--Tail wheel

I am based on a grass, 2500' runway that is pretty narrow. Although I have quite a bit of tail wheel time, I do feel safer in the -A. I feel it is safer in the taxi mode, take-off mode, and certainly the landing mode. I also do not like the "lean back" feeling when just sitting in the airplane on the ground. I make all of my landings "two point" and hold the nose wheel off the ground as long as possible, even when on long concrete. No aircraft like nose wheel landings. Bob.

6 vs 6A

As there have been a few posts here mentioning a -6A on its back, maybe someone who has "been there, done that" can answer a couple of questions I have had for some time. !. Do you know of any confirmed cases of the 6A folding the new, heavy duty, nose wheel strut. I know it could happen if you hit a cement curb or something like that, but I mean in a soft/rough field situation. 2. Can someone who has been in a -6A slider which mine is, tell me how hard or if it is even possible to get the canopy open while the aircraft is upside down, and also how much room it there between the canopy side rails and the ground, to get out. Thanks, Bob.

If you are taking votes...

mine would be with a taildragger. i am an only somewhat-experienced TD driver, and for my money most of them are a little bit more of a challenge but a LOT more fun. not to mention more at home on grass strips i plan to use a lot.

having said that, even if you fly a trike, in most of the flight regimes you will fly them the same: the nose gear is for taxiing and keeping the nose out of the dirt when you are moving slowly or stopped, and if you are moving any speed at all you ought not have much of your weight on it anyway.

Cannot open, must break to get out

As there have been a few posts here mentioning a -6A on its back, maybe someone who has "been there, done that" can answer a couple of questions I have had for some time. !. Do you know of any confirmed cases of the 6A folding the new, heavy duty, nose wheel strut. I know it could happen if you hit a cement curb or something like that, but I mean in a soft/rough field situation. 2. Can someone who has been in a -6A slider which mine is, tell me how hard or if it is even possible to get the canopy open while the aircraft is upside down, and also how much room it there between the canopy side rails and the ground, to get out. Thanks, Bob.

Speaking from experience, once the A model is upside down it rests on the canopy and rudder/vertical stabilizer. It is not possible to open the canopy in this position. The good news (if you can call it that) is that it most likely will already be cracked and fairly easy to break a hole to crawl out of (which is what I did).

Back