What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hartzell prop governor cable Firewall location

0302lj

My 6a build has a Hartzell prop governor (part H-1). The rotation has opposite from the prop governor that Vans provides. Drawing op-62a shows the firewall protrusion on the pilot upper f/w side (For the vans PG).

Looking for specific f/w protrusion location (upper passenger f/w side)for the Hartzell Prop governor. Would appreciate pics.

Much thanks!

prop governor arm location

My 6a build has a Hartzell prop governor (part H-1). The rotation has opposite from the prop governor that Vans provides. Drawing op-62a shows the firewall protrusion on the pilot upper f/w side (For the vans PG).

Looking for specific f/w protrusion location (upper passenger f/w side)for the Hartzell Prop governor. Would appreciate pics.

OK. 6A builder here, so I'll take a swing at answering your question.....but first I need some clarification.

I am assuming you have an O-320 or O-360 engine (of some flavor) with the prop governor mounted on the back of the engine.

Are you saying the Hartzell governor you have has the arm pointing in a different direction you need, when the governor is mounted to the engine pad? If this is the case, the governor arm may need to be re-positioned to point where you need it (and where the Van's drawings show it needs to be).

I do not have a Hartzell governor on mine, so I can't tell you exactly how to re-position the arm on one of them.....BUT, during my build I had to perform similar governor surgery on my Van's supplied McCauley governor in order to put the arm in the correct location for the LEFT side firewall cable penetration.

Attached are the Van's drawings I used for the prop cable routing and firewall penetration location.

View attachment OP26 Control Cables.pdf
View attachment 25 - Firewall bulkhead.pdf

You COULD run the governor cable to the right side of the fuselage, but then the cable bracket (that mounts to the governor) will likely not fit where you need it to be. Also, the cable length may not work with any Van's supplied governor cable (since they are assuming it is mounted per their plans).

If you are not sure how to re-position the governor arm, a call to Van's, or Hartzell, or a governor overhaul shop may be needed to get exact instructions. Just make sure if you talk to Hartzell or a governor repair shop......tell them this is for an Experimental Van's RV....and you are not violating any aircraft type certificate by making this change (ask me how I know that ;) ).

The Van's design works well....as long as you beat (OK, gently persuade :)) the governor arm into the right location.

Let me know if I completely misunderstood your question, or you need a better explanation. Sorry, I don't have build photos of my installation......I think I was mostly trying to finish the @#$#$^#@$ thing at that point.

Last edited:
yah, i didnt do so well at my initial post.

Building an RV6A, with a 0-360 C/S prop...With Dynon panel. Will not follow the Vans build manual in that they call for a vertical "throttle, mixture, prop governor mounting"....im going with it centered horizontally under the panel.

The "travel/direction" of the H-1 Hertzel prop governor thats mounted on rear of the engine requires to have the cable enter the engine compartment from the passenger side (the direction the arm turns is opposite from what Vans sells.

I had a post out here about year ago asking about this type of Prop Governor....several had replied they also used the same model (H1) and had had no issues at all.

so trying to understand "exactly-ish" where others that use this Prop Gov cut the hole in the upper passenger side of the firewall.

OK. Now I understand.

How about about rotating the governor arm to point down, instead of up? That will reverse the prop pitch action for the same push/pull motion of the cable. Then, you could still run the cable to the left (pilot) side of the airplane. Might require a custom cable bracket, don't know.

FYI: I also abandoned the center column console (original Van's design) on my installation. Mine looks like a common left/right carb heat/throttle/prop/mixture setup found on most of the spam cans I've flown. I was able to use the van's supplied prop governor cable with this setup....no length change required. Also, dumping the center column thing makes getting under the panel WAY easier......yea, still somewhat a PITA, but a bit less so.

Back