What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hanging up the (MCC) Headset

Congratulations!

Congratulations, Paul. I'm sure you'll stay active in your "retirement." I'm glad I was fortunate enough to get to know both you and Louise.

Best wishes :D

Job Well Done, Sir!!!

Paul,

Thank you for your dedication to the space program. I'm sure you'll find plenty to do in your transition to the next leg. Wish I could have moved down here sooner but at least I'll get a chance to finally meet you and get some technical counseling from the master. Paul, it's because of people like you that I jumped at the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to work at NASA.

Best,
Randy

Randy Stafford
RV-8

Good luck and happy flying

Congratulations Paul on reaching a milestone and starting a journey on another.

Your help and advice along with your brief stops by Kestrel were a big help in the completion of my project.

All the best for your next phase Paul. I note that you've made 9,165 posts on VansAirforce since 2005 (and most of them pretty interesting). Now hopefully you'll have the time to crank it up a bit and do some serious posting. :D

Last edited:
Thank you!

Paul,

Thank you for everything. You're an inspiration, truly, and I count myself fortunate to share a common interest with you.

-John

Thanks for your service!

Paul.....thanks for your service to our country through the space program that has made us second to none on earth and has launched thousands new technological breakthroughs on this side of space.

I think every one of us here agrees...."you are out of this world!!!"

YOL BOLSON my friend!!!

Thanks so much for everyone's comments and well wishes. I must say again just how fortunate I have been to have been a part of the great adventure, and it wouldn't have happened at all if we weren't part of a culture that values exploration.

For now, I hope to add more fly-ins and aviation events to my annual calendar, and hopefully I'll get to meet a lot more folks who share the passion for experimental aviation.

Paul

Well earned!

Paul,

From someone who has been there, a few things to expect;
1. The pay goes down,
2. the workload goes up,
3. and it is possible to find something just as fulfilling to do.

Congratulations on a great career. Looking forward to seeing you at Oshkosh!

Bob

Congrats on your retirement

Paul,
Congrats on a job (career) well done. THanks for your service to the country and I hope you and Louise have many sunsets enjoying the Rv's and whatever else fills your hangers.
Hope to meet you along a flightline in person one day....Louise as well.
Doug

For now, I hope to add more fly-ins and aviation events to my annual calendar, and hopefully I'll get to meet a lot more folks who share the passion for experimental aviation.

Paul

Paul, your first stage booster has now run out of fuel and dropped away, but your second stage is about to ignite. :)

Congratulations, Paul! I wish I was retiring, but that's still a few years away.

Now you have plenty of time to build an RV-12! :D

Congrats Paul. Thanks for all the work you've done for NASA and here on Van's Air Force. It is much appreciated.

Paul,

Congrats on being a big part of one of the most phenomenal bits of human history! Not many things compare!!!

Proud to call Louise and you friends...looking forward to calling you neighbors! :) We got us some flying to do! ;)

Cheers,
Bob

Ok, the world is small place?

Last Thursday we toured the Huntsville, AL International Space Station Payload Operations Center. While there, a group of controllers, wearing vests, were gathered together for a photo op. It was explained to us (by Penny P. who was awesome) that a Houston controller was retiring after 30+ years.

Each day of the week had a different theme ? skinny black tie day, ugly tie day, vest day, etc. Our day was vest day.

Who knew it was Paul they were sending the pictures to?!?

Enjoy the next phase of your life!!

Paul,

Congrats on being a big part of one of the most phenomenal bits of human history! Not many things compare!!!

Proud to call Louise and you friends...looking forward to calling you neighbors! :) We got us some flying to do! ;)

Cheers,
Bob

Paul, I can't think of anything original to add to what's been said, so I'll just echo Nasty's well-wishes for you both!

I don't see actual "retirement" anytime soon on my artificial horizon, but as I wind down my productive years and seek out something fun to do, I hope our paths continue to cross.

Enjoy!

Congrats

Congrats Paul. Despite missing co workers and the job you'll quickly find there is life after a career!!!

Enjoy!!!

Congratulations Paul! I imagine it has been a time of mixed emotions but you're leaving a legacy of historic importance for all of mankind. It may be necessary to shove that to the background while you're doing it but now is the time to look back and take stock. For most of us, when we look at what you've done, the reaction is one of awe and admiration. I hope you can see your accomplishments a bit through the eyes of those watching rather than participating...you'll really get a bang out of it!

Congratulations and THANK YOU for the inspiration. I hope you and Louise will have time to celebrate before SHE has to go back to work in order to keep you in the manner you would like to become accustomed to:D

Retirement

Congrats Paul!
As a veteran at retirement, I think you will be fine. You like to build, teach, write, and fly. That should keep you busy. I guess you will be leaving the Lone Star State now that you are not tied to Houston. I hope that won't mean that we will not be seeing you, Valkyrie, Junior, and Louise at Petit Jean, and other flying events.

Tailwinds for you fellow aviator, Enjoy!

I stopped by the Museum of Flight located at Boeing Field (Seattle) today for a quick visit. While I was in the Exploration of Space section of the museum, I stopped at a display of Mission Control. The display included a looped video discussing the role of Mission Control and it's contribution to the safety of shuttle flights.

Hmmmm... I watched the whole video and sure enough... There was Paul Dye! Just a quick blip about the role of the Flight Director.

I hope you're getting royalties from the film to pad the retirement check. ;)

Congrats Paul!

Enjoy what lies ahead.

I got a chance to see a lot of your last session. Thought the blue and red "satellites" were pretty cool. Especially given some of my "other" connections to that effort. :)

James
"CB"

Each day of the week had a different theme ? skinny black tie day, ugly tie day, vest day, etc. Our day was vest day.

Just be gad that you missed tie day...sunglasses were suggested! :eek:

Tailwinds for you fellow aviator, Enjoy!

Thanks Sky - I was thinking of you this afternoon as I got some final time in the T-38 Sim....much fun!

I hope you're getting royalties from the film to pad the retirement check. ;)

Yeah...as much as Yeager got paid extra to break the sound barrier! :rolleyes:

Thought the blue and red "satellites" were pretty cool. Especially given some of my "other" connections to that effort. :)

My team in Houston spent the afternoon trying to figure out the "game" - finally had to get the rule book from Huntsville to figure it out. Pretty neat that High School students got the opportunity to fly stuff onboard the ISS!

Last edited:
As Steve Ashby said;
Perhaps some writing is in order.
Maybe an autobiography, or NASA stories, or a novel that ties it together like aeronautical engineers, pilots & Oshkosh were written into Butcherbird?
And thanks for being an integral part of the space program, I'm one of the boys that grew up hooked on every bit of it.

Last edited:
Back