What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hall Effect Sensor Module Installation

prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm looking at the manual for my Lightspeed electronic ignition, for reisntalling and clocking my Hall Effect Sensor module. The manual says:
"...Turn electrical power on and rotate the sensor module in the accessory case counter-clockwise until the green light on the module case turns on and then off again. Maintaining its position, fasten the sensor module with the toe clamps..."
Question - Should this procedure be done with the ignition keyswitch in the OFF position or in the R position (ignition module being installed on Right side)?

Another question about this procedure. The instructions just say to position the crank at cyl 1 TDC using the marks on the flywheel. Doesn't it not matter whether this is TDC after compression or after exhaust? Just going by the TDC marking on the flywheel you could be at either, but the ignition would presumably have to know which stroke it was on. Am I totally misunderstanding this?

Another question about this procedure. The instructions just say to position the crank at cyl 1 TDC using the marks on the flywheel. Doesn't it not matter whether this is TDC after compression or after exhaust? Just going by the TDC marking on the flywheel you could be at either, but the ignition would presumably have to know which stroke it was on. Am I totally misunderstanding this?

As with many EI systems, the LightSpeed is a wasted spark design. It fires #1 and #2 cylinders on compression as well as exhaust stroke. So it makes no difference which one you are on.

The key is to remember what your timing set point:
- For most normal compression parallel valve engines this is 25 degrees BTDC. To achieve this you set the timing with the flywheel at TDC (0 degrees).
- For most angle head engines timing is 20 degrees BTDC. For these engines you set timing with the flywheel at 5 degrees ATDC.

As with all Lightspeed EI installs you must verify timing properly set with a timing light. Do not rely solely on the ignition LED signals.

Carl

Great thanks! What could the symptoms be of getting the timing wrong? Rough running, high CHT's, difficulty starting, other?

Great thanks! What could the symptoms be of getting the timing wrong? Rough running, high CHT's, difficulty starting, other?

All of the above -- and if the phasing is wrong you'll get a wicked kick-back the first time you start it.

He doesn't mention it in the manual, but the key switch to the module should be ON when you do the adjustment.

And -- you can remove the GRD-R jumper on the key switch when you are done. This will enable the lightspeed ignition to fire its plugs during the START sequence.

Last edited:
You didn't ask, but I have almost 5,300 hours on aggregate on 3 different Lightspeed equipped EZ's. I'll simply suggest you eliminate the mag hole Hall Effect module, and make the efforts to install either the std crank sensor or the newer mini-sensor.

I wish someone would have convinced me to do this much earlier than I did.

You didn't ask, but I have almost 5,300 hours on aggregate on 3 different Lightspeed equipped EZ's. I'll simply suggest you eliminate the mag hole Hall Effect module, and make the efforts to install either the std crank sensor or the newer mini-sensor.

Why is this?

I could see why. You are trying to relay what you missed in the past, to us. And yet, you also don't give any convincing reasons to go to the effort to make the change.

I also ask, why did you change...... and the benefits of the change.

Back