What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTX 327 Firmware Update

uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
For the Garmin folks, will there be the capability to update the GTX 327 firmware at Oshkosh, I have an older unit for my Champ that I need updated to the latest firmware (2.12 if I recall correctly)
Thanks
Figs

Transponder Updates

For the Garmin folks, will there be the capability to update the GTX 327 firmware at Oshkosh, I have an older unit for my Champ that I need updated to the latest firmware (2.12 if I recall correctly)
Thanks
Figs

Hi Figs,

We'll be able to run transponder software updates for EAB aircraft at the show this year.

Thanks,

Justin

Hi Figs,

We'll be able to run transponder software updates for EAB aircraft at the show this year.

Thanks,

Justin

Keep in mind that software updates don't necessarily validate unit operation or functionality, a 91.413 test is required after the update to verify operation.
(In fact I find many 327's that are out of spec during testing, they are getting old and the freq drifts)

What is used to bring them back into spec? Is there some tuning pot on the board you turn while looking at the output on some measuring device? Looking at the maint manual https://www.experimentalaircraft.info/doc/garmin/GTX327-M-Guide.pdf it doesn't look like there are any tunables, just tests that lead to board replacement. I hope mine lasts a long time, I'm not at all interested in a 1090ES transponder. I like the GTX-327/GDL-82 combo which shows up as VFR on the fish finder.

Last edited:
What is used to bring them back into spec? Is there some tuning pot on the board you turn while looking at the output on some measuring device? Looking at the maint manual https://www.experimentalaircraft.info/doc/garmin/GTX327-M-Guide.pdf it doesn't look like there are any tunables, just tests that lead to board replacement. I hope mine lasts a long time, I'm not at all interested in a 1090ES transponder. I like the GTX-327/GDL-82 combo which shows up as VFR on the fish finder.
There is indeed a cap in the output oscillator to adj frequency (C525), it has to be disassembled and run on the bench with appropriate test equipment.
They really do drift out of spec quite often. I charge an hour bench time to do it so generally not a big deal.

The main point I was trying to make is a SW upgrade is NOT a functional test, is simply a SW upload.

Last edited:
There is indeed a cap in the output oscillator to adj frequency (C525), it has to be disassembled and run on the bench with appropriate test equipment.
They really do drift out of spec quite often. I charge an hour bench time to do it so generally not a big deal.

Walt,

When would you suggest to have it checked? My unit is getting old, but the IFR check comes back fine.

Mike

Walt,

When would you suggest to have it checked? My unit is getting old, but the IFR check comes back fine.

Mike

Verifying frequency is part of the 2 yr/91.413 check.
However, some of the test boxes used to do the 91.413 test are older than dirt and don't actually give an accurate readout compared to more modern test equipment. Another problem is many guys who do "portable" checks for example are not equipped to actually calibrate an out of tolerance unit, consequently they tend to be a little less demanding, they don't walk away empty handed if you get my drift.

Back