What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT HXr screen shots

Give me a call...

This is a whole new world.

Give me a call at GRT Avionics (www.grtavionics.com), extension 260. I would be happy to help you get up to speed on this piece of great equipment, what you should know, and plan for. Some things you are seeing are available but not necessary to get flying.

It can be a bit overwhelming if you are new to it. Remember the first time you sat in a "steam gauge" equipped airplane and had little clue, perhaps no clue, what all those dials were for or how they worked? It's the same with the GRT Avionics "glass", with practice you can learn to use it to its fullest potential just like you did the "steam" gauges. I think it is better in every way.

Have fun and fly safe,

phone call

Give me a call at GRT Avionics (www.grtavionics.com), extension 260. I would be happy to help you get up to speed on this piece of great equipment, what you should know, and plan for. Some things you are seeing are available but not necessary to get flying.

It can be a bit overwhelming if you are new to it. Remember the first time you sat in a "steam gauge" equipped airplane and had little clue, perhaps no clue, what all those dials were for or how they worked? It's the same with the GRT Avionics "glass", with practice you can learn to use it to its fullest potential just like you did the "steam" gauges. I think it is better in every way.

Have fun and fly safe,

Thanks, I will call tomorrow.:D

With the winds note how the Flight Path Vector indicator is off to the right indicating I'm crabbing to the right so you have to adjust where you look because the traffic indication is relative position.

8571726237_8de98f897f_b.jpg

Hmmm. Relative to what I wonder. TIS-A and B traffic position data must be based on track since nobody but you knows where your nose is pointing. Brings to mind the question about how GRT chooses to display the data. Is it registered relative to track or nose? If track, then the PFD/Terrain display should be a direct read for traffic position off the nose.

And yes I am curious because I plan to install ADS and TIS-B this year on my GRTs

Hmmm. Relative to what I wonder. TIS-A and B traffic position data must be based on track since nobody but you knows where your nose is pointing. Brings to mind the question about how GRT chooses to display the data. Is it registered relative to track or nose? If track, then the PFD/Terrain display should be a direct read for traffic position off the nose.

And yes I am curious because I plan to install ADS and TIS-B this year on my GRTs

It's relative to your TRACK and the traffic's TRACK. The ADSB gets it's position from GPS position, altitude and TRACK. It has no idea what the headings of the aircraft are. Same with the TIS. It's radar/transponder position and track.

Let's exaggerate the positions a bit and it makes it easier to visualize.

Let's say the wind is so strong I'm crabbing 45 degrees to the right. (heading 360 degrees, TRACKING 045 degrees) Then if I indicate traffic on my screen that's 45 degrees off to my left (10 oclock-ish) in order for me to put EYES on the traffic out the windscreen, I'll actually look at the 12 oclock position from my cockpit to see the traffic.

Last edited:
The traffic is based on your track but displayed relative to your aircraft's nose. (heading)

Huh? Your explanation made perfect sense to me right up until this last statement, which seems to contradict your preceding explanation. If your HEADING is 360 and your TRACK is 045, and the traffic appears to be straight ahead when you look straight ahead out the windscreen, then the traffic will appear on the screen as 45 degrees off to the left, correct? If so, this means the traffic is displayed based on (and relative to) track. If it was alternatively displayed based on heading, it would be displayed on the screen as straight ahead.

erich

Huh? Your explanation made perfect sense to me right up until this last statement, which seems to contradict your preceding explanation. If your HEADING is 360 and your TRACK is 045, and the traffic appears to be straight ahead when you look straight ahead out the windscreen, then the traffic will appear on the screen as 45 degrees off to the left, correct? If so, this means the traffic is displayed based on (and relative to) track. If it was alternatively displayed based on heading, it would be displayed on the screen as straight ahead.

erich

You're right Eric. The traffic will be displayed according to track, which will make it appear off to your left on the screen and in front of you outside. Thanks for the good catch.
I should have stopped while I was ahead. I'll edit out the incorrect statement.

Last edited:
I'm sorry gentlemen, but I didn't buy it.

I called Carlos to get the straight scoop. He took a look at the post # 45 images and indicated that the traffic display is in "HDG" mode as shown in the traffic warning box on the left.

This setting includes the calculations to show traffic as it would appear out the window. He was positive on the Traffic screen and PFD/Terrain screen but said he had to check with programming on the Map screen.

SO, no relative bearing compensation is required if the system is set as shown.

To me this is good news. It indicates again that GRT is doing things right.

I'm sorry gentlemen, but I didn't buy it.

I called Carlos to get the straight scoop. He took a look at the post # 45 images and indicated that the traffic display is in "HDG" mode as shown in the traffic warning box on the left.

This setting includes the calculations to show traffic as it would appear out the window. He was positive on the Traffic screen and PFD/Terrain screen but said he had to check with programming on the Map screen.

SO, no relative bearing compensation is required if the system is set as shown.

Thanks Bill.

I certainly won't contradict Carlos on this. It will be interesting to hear what he says about the MAP box since it's in TRK.

I called Carlos to get the straight scoop. He took a look at the post # 45 images and indicated that the traffic display is in "HDG" mode as shown in the traffic warning box on the left. This setting includes the calculations to show traffic as it would appear out the window. He was positive on the Traffic screen and PFD/Terrain screen but said he had to check with programming on the Map screen. SO, no relative bearing compensation is required if the system is set as shown.

Agreed, mo betta this way!
erich

Hmmm. Relative to what I wonder. TIS-A and B traffic position data must be based on track since nobody but you knows where your nose is pointing.

TIS-B position data is based on GPS POSITION, nothing to do with track or bearing. TIS-B tells you exactly in the world where the target is, it's up to you to figure out where you are and then decide the relative direction. It does also tell you what direction the target is tracking, but that isn't what you base where it is.

TIS-A is totally different, everything is transmitted relative to you since it's a client/server system not a broadcast system.

Also, technically, ADS-B does support transmitting both heading and track. You're supposed to transmit heading so ground systems can tell what direction you are pointed even if you aren't moving.

--Ian Jordan
Dynon Avionics

Also, technically, ADS-B does support transmitting both heading and track. You're supposed to transmit heading so ground systems can tell what direction you are pointed even if you aren't moving.

--Ian Jordan
Dynon Avionics

Hi Ian, what is in an ADSB installation that even knows what your heading is?

Its GRT

Hi Ian, what is in an ADSB installation that even knows what your heading is?

Hi Jerry,

Its the EFIS system that knows what your heading is. In your case the HXr has the ADS-b data as well as its own heading data from the AHRS sensors. With this data the GRT HXr (EFIS) can place the traffic on the display relative to heading or track depending on what you have selected.

If you are on the PFD with Heading up the HXr (EFIS) will display the traffic data (using its GPS reported position) in relation to heading. If you have Track up it will display the traffic data (using its GPS reported position) relative to your track. This is the same on the map pages. The difference is heading up or track up and how the HXr (EFIS) displays the data to you.

In the images posted, the PFD and traffic alert window are set to Heading up, the Map inset is set to Track up. The PFD image will look like it does outside the windscreen, the traffic will be in the same position. If the PFD were in Track up the traffic on the display would be more to the left than what you would see outside.

If you want to see what the difference is, set the PFD to Track up vs Heading up. Heading up will look normal (looking out the windscreen). Track up will show the crab angle compared to looking out the windscreen.

Most pilots fly heading up on the PFD and track up on the Map. These are both interchangeable to your liking.

Last edited:
As Carlos says, an EFIS knows your heading, so it can send this to the ADS-B OUT device. ADS-B OUT data is not just limited to GPS data (although GPS data is all that is required for the 2020 mandate).

Other random ADS-B trivia: Heading is transmitted as an angle which is 0-359 degrees, however track is transmitted as north velocity and east velocity. Thus the transmitter needs to convert GPS speed an track to these two numbers and then the receiver has to back out speed and track from these two numbers. We have no idea why.

According to AC 20-165A, heading input to ADS-B transmitters will only be used on the ground, and it will be optional.

(CAUTION: Thread drift!)

Thanks Carlos and Ian. This is getting really interesting and I'm learning more and more about all this stuff.

I understand that the EFIS knows the heading all the time and that the indicator is in the HDG mode. That all makes sense.

What still puzzles me is say an airplane without an EFIS has ADSB in and out. It's got say a 430W hooked up to a Garmin 330ES transponder and a GDL88 in/out box, where will the heading information come from to transmit out to the ground stations? No glass at all which is not uncommon, just a regular 6 pack.

This is interesting. Sorry about the thread drift too Katie, but it things we should all understand.

What still puzzles me is say an airplane without an EFIS has ADSB in and out. It's got say a 430W hooked up to a Garmin 330ES transponder and a GDL88 in/out box, where will the heading information come from to transmit out to the ground stations? No glass at all which is not uncommon, just a regular 6 pack.

The AC is pretty vague on this. It specifies a heading gyro, magnetic or non-magnetic, that meets TSO-C5 or C6, but doesn't say how it will talk to the ADS-B transmitter. It's more like a suggestion than a requirement. I think it's a wish list item for the feds, throwing it out there for all the ADS-B and avionics companies to chew on. There's all kinds of information that ADS-B can transmit, all of which would be useful to ATC. The Garmin equipment in your example would likely fit the non-heading, "GPS track/groundspeed" only category.

Last edited:
I understand that the EFIS knows the heading all the time and that the indicator is in the HDG mode. That all makes sense.

Thanks for starting inquiry down this path Jerry. I am curious too. I'd be interested in learning the next step "down" which is a steam 6 pack and an ADSB reciever and display.

I speculate that a system that advertised TIS-B in my proposed case would need an internal GPS which would provide track orientation for display of traffic data. On cursory inspection, the recievers I looked at had GPS. Not a complete survey by any means though.

I also went looking in this thread to see how you are hooked up for ADSB. The Trig and Skyview pair is an interesting solution. Its making me rethink my plans for ADSB I/O. Did you get the Skyview dual freq receiver? (1090 and 978?)

Last edited:
Thanks for starting inquiry down this path Jerry. I am curious too. I'd be interested in learning the next step "down" which is a steam 6 pack and an ADSB reciever and display.

I also went looking in this thread to see how you are hooked up for ADSB. The Trig and Skyview pair is an interesting solution. Its making me rethink my plans for ADSB I/O. Did you get the Skyview dual freq receiver? (1090 and 978?)

Bill,
I did get the SkyRadar D2, which is the dual (978 & 1090) unit. I'm using the GPS position out of the HXr into the Trig for the GPS input. I get WX and Traffic on the GRT perfectly.

Also, the Skyradar unit has built in WiFi that I use WingX Pro on our iPads. My wife gets traffic and weather on hers in the back seat. I'm going to get an iFly 720 to replace her AvMap EKP IV in the backseat which will also use the WiFi for WX and traffic.

Last edited:
Full up coupled ILS

Back towards the opening post here with HXr screen shots.

I've been meaning to get a full up coupled ILS and finally got around to it.

In the shot below, I'm shooting the ILS to runway 05 at KGVL. You'll notice that the scoreboard box (white) on the upper left notates the LOC freq. of 110.550, the LOC is captured and the SAP (synthetic approach (HITS) is using the ILS05 LOC, the A/P is in ENAV mode and the LA/P indicates the lateral portion of the A/P is engaged.

The white scoreboard on the top right indicates the DA of 1480. On it's left is the missed approach altitude I set in of 3100 feet. Next down it shows the G/S is captured and the SAP HITS is using the ILS05 G/S. VNAV is engaged following the G/S and the VA/P-on indicated the vertical portion of the A/P in engaged.

You'll get SAP annunciations telling you what it's using when you have an ILS dialed in and selected as NAV source. It'll prompt you to enter the loc course in and inform you it's using the LOC and GS if you have SAP for the runway selected. You have to ACK all three of these.

The ILS needles are almost centered, I'm just about centered in the HITS and the runway is visible down the chute. I'm tracking 048, heading 051 to intecept the 044 LOC course. The altitude balloon is tethered over the runway at 3100 ft and on the softkeys in the bottom the MISSED button is active. Just prior to this before I was cleared the approach, the MISSED button was YELLOW and stated EXECUTE. When you punch the EXECUTE softkey, the A/P starts following the approach if you are in the HDG mode.

The Synthetic Vision is in TERRAIN mode indicated by the various colors. Note to my far left the mountains are higher than I am so they are red and you can see the S/V attitude/altitude line intersecting the mountains.

8585958501_9696565a52_b.jpg

I have a question... is "SAP05" in black box denoting the "next mode" for the autopilot? (I thought that's what the second column is?) I see that "3100" is showing the same (that seems correct for missed on ILS05 at GVL).. but SAP should not be an option for missed mode.. no?

Hi Radomir,

Since Jerry has the SAP armed while using the ILS data from the nav radio the SAP is there to show it is being used and will be used if the ILS data drops out. Jerry is "using all the tools" on this approach.

Regards,

Thanks Carlos... so if he pressed Missed button.. what would happen? What mode would the A/P switch to?

Garmin self test

Ok, after 1 week shy of 4 months work converting traditional steam gauges to the HXr, and replacing some radios, new panel, etc etc I'll be ready to fly this weekend.

Last weekend I powered all the gear up and calibrated etc and one question immediately came to mind.

The 430w has a self test on power up where it moves the Cdi and flag. How can I see this on the HXr?

I can already see that learning how to use all this new gear is going to be quite a challenge.:confused:

Last edited:
I can already see that learning how to use all this new gear is going to be quite a challenge.:confused:

Been flying for a couple years now, and still have not figured out all the bells and whistles.

Lack of understanding, and general frustration with digging through manuals is a huge part of the steepness of my learning curve.

Good luck to you

Ok, after 1 week shy of 4 months work converting traditional steam gauges to the HXr, and replacing some radios, new panel, etc etc I'll be ready to fly this weekend.

Last weekend I powered all the gear up and calibrated etc and one question immediately came to mind.

The 430w has a self test on power up where it moves the Cdi and flag. How can I see this on the HXr?

Not sure on this but I'll be at Sun n Fun in a day or two and ask the GRT team.

OK, after the HXr has booted past the Accept button, and then push the OK button on the 430 test page and the HXr will display the needle offset and track indications. It's automatic.
One of our Team members has a 430 and we checked it out.

OK, after the HXr has booted past the Accept button, and then push the OK button on the 430 test page and the HXr will display the needle offset and track indications. It's automatic.
One of our Team members has a 430 and we checked it out.

I will only add (even thought it's obvious it can be missed) that if you have multiple nav sources for your CDI/bearing pointer (multiple GPSs, SL30, etc), you must ensure both are set to receive guidance from the 430. Then as stated, after hitting enter on the 430, you will see CDI 1/2 scale left, course 150, bearing 135, and to flag.

New HXr Tutorial Video--The start of something beautiful?

I've had some requests for video tutorials lately, so here's the first of what will probably become a whole library. (we'll see how much video you guys can send my way... :D) It was put together using raw footage from Jerry "Widget" Morris as he flew his HXr-equipped RV-8 home from Sun 'n Fun. This one shows how to use the Map Selection Tool to find information about airspace and airports. It also has some great footage of ADS-B traffic and weather radar. (Keep in mind that the system only shows the weather information if you have an ADS-B or XM weather receiver onboard.) Widget's airplane is equipped with a Radenna SkyRadar D2 ADS-B receiver and Trig TT31 Mode S transponder. I have a couple more videos in the works from the footage he sent me, so stay tuned for more.

If you're a GRT customer with a GoPro and some time, I welcome whatever in-flight video I can get my hands on to make these. Thanks again Widget for all your help!

Thanks, Katie. As a brand new Hxr user, I can use all of those you can produce!
(Nice bumper music, too!:D)

A/p and leaning

Ok so I have about 2 hours on my unit now. Learning to use the visually presented data on the Pfd is fairly easy.

Loved having the map page with inset pfd and engine info. Practicing some formation, pitchouts and rejoins etc on sat, the map helped keep away from airspaces and airports and generally increased sa.

Jerry/Carlos, what I haven't figured out are the autopilot and leaning functions and where the flight director is. Any tips, images, etc you can show us here?

Last edited:
I have an HX, not HXr, but I think the autopilot functions are similar. Push the lower right knob, it will ask you to set the desired altitude. It will also bring up the autopilot menu above the white buttons, one of them selects the flight director display. Push the knob again to set desired rate of climb or airspeed (as selected from options); push knob again to exit menu.

Thanks!!

Bob, thanks for posting that, I just went out and played around with the GRT, and found mine works just like you described.

Good to learn something new.

Ok so I have about 2 hours on my unit now. Learning to use the visually presented data on the Pfd is fairly easy.

Loved having the map page with inset pfd and engine info. Practicing some formation, pitchouts and rejoins etc on sat, the map helped keep away from airspaces and airports and generally increased sa.

Jerry/Carlos, what I haven't figured out are the autopilot and leaning functions and where the flight director is. Any tips, images, etc you can show us here?

Leaning is reached from the ENG page. From the PFD, press MORE, ENG will appear on the left side soft key. Press it and you will get options to SET FUEL, and LEAN. When you press LEAN, a small L will appear in the EGT bar graph. When you reach the temp drops from leaning you will see negative numbers telling you how far below PEAK you are operating. They are in a box. Look at the opening post in this thread in the first couple screen shots and you can see the L by the EGTs.

You can also set you fuel added here. Use the right knob to add gallons or use the left knob to set it to full, if you have set the proper amount in the setup menu. It's actually labeled FUEL FLOW in the setup menu. If you have it set, the number you put in the setup menu will appear above the LEFT knob.

To reach the flight director, push the RIGHT knob twice and you will see the FLT DIR option above I think the center soft key. You can turn it on/off there.

You get to the AUTO PILOT by engaging it with the button either on your stick, or panel. its also the disengage button. Yellow/Green, and two RED soft key labels will appear on the lower left of the screen. You can press the right knob to bring up Auto Pilot functions for Steering, alt, approach arming and SAP (synthetic approaches). Once you select the mode hitting the EXIT buttons engages that mode.

To select altitudes on the HXr, be on the PFD page and just twist the right knob and that will select the altitude, displayed above the right side score board. Press after the altitude you want is entered and it will ask for a speed to climb, or a rate to descend.

Hope this answers your questions.

Holler if you need any more info.

Last edited:
Cheers...

Thanks. I will play with those this weekend.

I am also trying to figure out how to pre-process the demo files for use with either/both of savvy analysis and excel. Is there a process and or tool? I'm on a Mac, but have a handful of windows vm's I could (grudgingly) use :D

I am also trying to figure out how to pre-process the demo files for use with either/both of savvy analysis and excel. Is there a process and or tool? I'm on a Mac, but have a handful of windows vm's I could (grudgingly) use :D

I just uploaded my demo file straight from the stick I copied off the HXr to savvy and it automatically took all the engine data and displayed it.

I don't know about loading them as exel files. Someone else will have to chime in about that.

If you want to look at the data in excel you are welcome to use GRT Decode found here http://www.rvproject.gen.nz/grt/index.html

The program is for Windows.

Savvy Engine Analysis takes the native EFIS demo file.

Best regards,

If you want to look at the data in excel you are welcome to use GRT Decode found here http://www.rvproject.gen.nz/grt/index.html

The program is for Windows.

Savvy Engine Analysis takes the native EFIS demo file.

Best regards,

I have a bunch of files like demo0000.log, demo0000+1.log through demo0000+5.log. Savvy analysis only seems to see data in one of the files, and the time is less than my flight.

All flights seem to be 11 mins long and occurred on jan 1, 2000. Data is missing.

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
I don't think you're doing anything wrong.

Some suggestions:
Setup the efis for automatic recording. (Current software)
Have the USB stick in the display unit while recording and immediately afterward.

You will have to configure the clock in the EFIS for the correct date/time stamp.

Regards,

I don't think you're doing anything wrong.

Some suggestions:
Setup the efis for automatic recording. (Current software)
Have the USB stick in the display unit while recording and immediately afterward.

You will have to configure the clock in the EFIS for the correct date/time stamp.

Regards,

Device is set up for automatic reporting. USB sticks are installed prior to power up and remain in until after power down.

I don't have a clock/keep alive, but the clock picks up the date from the external GPS data does it not?

Is it normal to record the data in 11 minute segments?

DEMO files

Walkman,

I have my unit set to record continuously and all my DEMO files are exactly 10MB's. I don't know how to change that.

Walkman,

I have my unit set to record continuously and all my DEMO files are exactly 10MB's. I don't know how to change that.

I just saw a page in setup tonight that would allow you to change the size of the DEMO files. I think the default is 6MB. I cannot tell you exactly where I saw it, but it is in there somewhere!:)

Back towards the opening post here with HXr screen shots.

I've been meaning to get a full up coupled ILS and finally got around to it.

In the shot below, I'm shooting the ILS to runway 05 at KGVL. You'll notice that the scoreboard box (white) on the upper left notates the LOC freq. of 110.550, the LOC is captured and the SAP (synthetic approach (HITS) is using the ILS05 LOC, the A/P is in ENAV mode and the LA/P indicates the lateral portion of the A/P is engaged.

The white scoreboard on the top right indicates the DA of 1480. On it's left is the missed approach altitude I set in of 3100 feet. Next down it shows the G/S is captured and the SAP HITS is using the ILS05 G/S. VNAV is engaged following the G/S and the VA/P-on indicated the vertical portion of the A/P in engaged.

You'll get SAP annunciations telling you what it's using when you have an ILS dialed in and selected as NAV source. It'll prompt you to enter the loc course in and inform you it's using the LOC and GS if you have SAP for the runway selected. You have to ACK all three of these.

The ILS needles are almost centered, I'm just about centered in the HITS and the runway is visible down the chute. I'm tracking 048, heading 051 to intecept the 044 LOC course. The altitude balloon is tethered over the runway at 3100 ft and on the softkeys in the bottom the MISSED button is active. Just prior to this before I was cleared the approach, the MISSED button was YELLOW and stated EXECUTE. When you punch the EXECUTE softkey, the A/P starts following the approach if you are in the HDG mode.

The Synthetic Vision is in TERRAIN mode indicated by the various colors. Note to my far left the mountains are higher than I am so they are red and you can see the S/V attitude/altitude line intersecting the mountains.

8585958501_9696565a52_b.jpg

What is the G+47 to the right of the altimeter tape and the da number below it?

I was buzzing around the other night and noticed G+130 on mine.

I was buzzing around the other night and noticed G+130 on mine.

I believe that is the difference (in feet) between the GPS derived altitude and the altitude derived based on the "altimeter setting".

I believe that is the difference (in feet) between the GPS derived altitude and the altitude derived based on the "altimeter setting".

Correct answer. When you ARM the SAP, you will get a GPS derived altitude which is displayed below the airplane symbol as a green number. The G+/- number is the difference between the GPS altitude and the tape altitude. In the OP the PFD photo shows g+47, indicating the GPS altitude is 47 feet higher than the indicated barometric altitude. Totally separate of each other for monitoring.

The DA number below that is the Decision Altitude that I set in for the approach on the A/.P presets page. You'll also note that in the vertical autopilot scoreboard on the upper right, above the altimeter tape also shows 1480.

New Software update

Well, the latest software update from GRT for the HXr is out and it's got some really nice features if you are so inclined.

One of my BIG wishlist items was a larger MAP on the PFD screen and GRT has come through with that. On the 10.4 inch display it's great. I flew yesterday through weather, traffic and Class B airspace and always had all the information displayed on the new MAP and it was large enough that I never wanted to switch to the regular MAP page to orient myself.
I'll get some photo's up soon to show other subtle differences that I noticed after an hour of just watching it work.

Here's a screenshot borrowed from GRT to show you what it looks like. It's not exactly how it looks but it's close. The heading indicator/bug on the bottom is a bit different on the HXr and you can toggle between the CHT/EGT indicators and an HSI.

wp711b2f1a_05_06.jpg

Also, if you want to take a SNAP shot of your screen, with the new software if you have a USB storage device installed, just push SNAP and viola.. instant pic of your EFIS screen.

Several other nice additions also. If you have an HXr and haven't updated your software, drop by the GRT website and download it.

Aww, finally the trifecta I have been looking for: the pfd, moving map and engine monitor all on the same screen and at a reasonable size. Can an mpg value be squeezed into the engine info somehow? Prefer that over percent power.
Erich

There is a MPG indication on the engine data page. I'm not sure if you can get it to display on the PFD page, but I will say that most of the slots are programmable.

Back