What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GMA240 to GTR200 Interconnect

fasilpereira

Well Known Member
Hi,

I'm in the process of wiring a GMA240 to a GTR200 as a COM2.

While checking both installation manuals, I've found a difference on the twisted shielded cables wiring. (Ref GTR200 Fig D-4 vs GMA240 Fig B-1).

The GMA240 setup only uses 2 shielded pairs for Audio and MIC interconnect while the GTR200 setup uses an additional unshielded wire for the MIC key. Check attached image.

The GTR200 Fig D-4 is specific to GTR200 to GMA240 interconnect and I'm thinking on goint this route. But I would like to understand why the GMA240 manual proposes a completely different setup.

Thanks,

Fabricio

Attachments

• GMA240 VS GTR200.jpg
    GMA240 VS GTR200.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 45
Use the GTR diagram.
The only difference is that the top diagram has no dedicated mic ground connection. In older radios this was not uncommon - the mic ground was the same as the airframe ground, and the ground return would find a way between the two boxes. More modern radios float the audio grounds, to try to reduce noise. Whether you run the PTT line inside a shielded cable or not, should not, in principle, make any difference - it’s just a dc signal. But noise can be hard to diagnose. If it was me, I’d shield it, just to be sure.

Bob,

Thanks for the explanation.

Would you use a single conductor shielded wire for the PTT or change one of the lines to a 3 conductor? I’m considering the last option.

Thanks,

Fabricio

I’d just use whichever cabling I had on hand. But if I had both single and 3 wire, I’d use the 3 wire - less work.

Back