What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glareshield mounted G5

Italiancowboy

So I’ve seen a few photos and videos of RV10s with a G5 mounted on the glare shield or on the center tube.
Anyone have this set up and can comment on if they like that ?
Unfortunately mine is mounted on the upper right side of the panel (so great for the copilot but not much use for me). Guess the original builder ran out of room on the left side.

Glare shield G5

I’ve see photos/videos of G5 mounted on the glare shield or on the center tube.
Anyone have this set up ?
What’s your review?

And who sells the mounting box/kit ?

Aerosport products had a nice one they had at Oshkosh. I don't see it on their website yet. give them a call

These products have a need for mounting rigidity to perform well. A center support installation might be ok, but have serious doubts that a glare shield installation could support the requirements. The fact that someone else did it, does NOT make it a good idea. That is a trap you do not want to fall into when building a plane. If the G5 is cosemetic, then go for it. If you expect it to save your butt some day, do some research and read the installation manual.

Last edited:
G5 on the glare shield of my RV-10

I also ran out of space on the panel for the G5, so I mounted it on the glare shield next to the structural "pipe" running from the panel to the cabin top.

Installing it took a little bit of head scratching and the fabrication of a small mount for the G5. But I took a bunch of pictures of the G5 mounted in Rob Hickman's RV-10 (with his permission), and fabricated a similar installation to his. Once I decided how I was going to mount it, it only took one draft/mockup to finalize it and then mount it and connect it. And I didn't need any specialty tools for the simple fabrication.

I'm glad I mounted it there. I have found it is more in my line of sight on the approach or in the pattern, so easier to quickly check speed, altitude, and heading while still keeping my head up and outside the cockpit. Here are a couple of pics of my installation.

Let me know if you want more info.

Attachments

• G5 on Panel from Center.jpg
    G5 on Panel from Center.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Left View G5 IMG_4985.jpg
    Left View G5 IMG_4985.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Front View G5 IMG_4992.jpg
    Front View G5 IMG_4992.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Bottom View G5 IMG_4998.jpg
    Bottom View G5 IMG_4998.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 52
Look good.
No problems with glare or overheating?
I saw someone was selling a mount that was kind of a box that the G5 sits in and I assumed that was not just for support. Can’t find that website now.

I fly right over Sugarland on my frequent flights from CS down to Lake Jackson, maybe I’ll have to drop in and look at yours sometime if that’s ok

Thanks for the feedback
Not a new build situation, trying to improve.
I think securing them to the center tube is the right call (that’s currently where my compass is located)

I’ve got two HDX screens so the G5 is my third redundancy; just not very useful in its present location (far upper right side of panel)

Last edited:
G5 on Glare Shield - No Problems Yet

Look good.
No problems with glare or overheating?
I saw someone was selling a mount that was kind of a box that the G5 sits in and I assumed that was not just for support. Can’t find that website now.

I fly right over Sugarland on my frequent flights from CS down to Lake Jackson, maybe I’ll have to drop in and look at yours sometime if that’s ok

I haven't had any issues with glare, overheating, nor vibrations, at least not so far.

My initial thought was to put it in a box. I even fabricated a box, but found it was too large to fit in the space I wanted to use. So after talking to Rob Hickman about his, I decided to make a simple bracket and install it in a similar fashion. I asked Rob about a possible cover for the back of the G5, and he said he thought about that but decided it wasn't needed. And while I may some day try to fabricate or 3D print a back cover, I haven't seen the need, and so have better things to do with my time. But who knows, maybe someday?

I'd be happy to have you drop into KSGR so I can show you my mount. Just let me know when you would like to do that. Probably need to be next year as I will be going out of town for the Holidays. I'll sent you a DM with my email and phone number.

Cheers,

Back