What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Giving away an RV-7A Kit

NVCRV7A

I'm New Here
Fellow RV'ers:

It's been years since I made any meaningful progress on my RV-7A. While I've done a day here or there of build work, I'm at a stage in life where I doubt I will have enough free time to focus on the build. So I've decided to give my kit away.

Here is where things stand:

I have purchased the tail and wing kits.

The tail kit is done except for the fiberglass work.

The left wing is done.

Both tanks are done professionally - by Evan's Aviation in CA.

I've made progress on the right wing but there is a lot more to go.

I haven't ordered/purchased the fuselage or other kits yet.

I have a heated Dynon pitot kit.

Here is what I want to do

I want to give the parts away to someone that can complete the airplane. Give me a one page write-up on why you want my kit and how you will use it to get the next generation interested in Aviation specifically and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) topics in general. If I like what I get, we have a quick phone conversation and the kit is yours.

Needless to say, there are no warranties on any of the parts and while most of it is crated, it would be your sole responsibility if selected to figure out how to get it to your shop from the Tampa Bay area. Once it's yours, it's yours so expect the usual legalese around me not being responsible as to how you put the rest of the airplane together, whether all the workmanship meets AC 43.13 standards etc.

Hoping to hear some good responses!

Donation

Nanji
I am so impressed with your generosity. Hopefully some student program will finish and spawn a bunch of new pilots and builders.
Thank you.

Scott Brown

Get in touch with Scott Brown. He runs a STEM program/camp. This might be exactly what they need. Very worthy program.

St. Petersburg College and NAA, Clearwater

St. Pete College starting aviation program, and National Aviation Academy (A&P school) might benefit, and keep the kit local --- also, Pinellas County trade school a possibility.

Ron

Sad but Soo good for a school our EAA group to benefit from

How incredibly generous of you and hopefully you will get honest, sincere, responses of people wishing a project like this to benefit those that might not be able to afford it.

Sad that you could not finish and enjoy such a wonderful plane but Good for those that will benefit from the generous offer!

Thank you for all the responses so far!

Folks,

Thank you so much for the wonderful responses so far and the PM's sent. I'll respond to those later this evening.

Let's see what else comes in today.

I will reach out to the St. Pete Aviation folks as well...

-Nanji Chandra

I have two sons at Virginia Tech who have been working hard to get the school to sponsor a build project for the Aeronautical Engineering program.
If you talk to them you will be sold on their dedication and genuine interest and abilities.
I'll have you a 1 page write-up tomorrow (from them, not me).

Lakeland Aero Club

I'm am working with the Lakeland Aero Club which is the high school flying club associated with the Central Florida Aerospace academy located on the SUN 'n FUN campus on Lakeland Linder Airport. The club is made up of young people under age 25 who are pilots, enrolled in flight training or enrolled in CFAAs A&P program. Currently we have about 40 members. The club just completed a 2-1/2 year restoration of a 1953 Piper L-18C which club members flew to Oshkosh this year for Airventure. You can check out the Lakeland Aero Club Facebook page or visit our website lakelandaeroclub .org. We are a Florida 501c3 not for profit corporation. We would love to have the opportunity to complete your kit so our young people can get hands on experience with a sheet metal airplane project. We have avoided getting involved with a RV-12 project because we want the kids to learn how to use solid rivets that are more common for most aircraft. I would invite to to check out the Lakeland Aero Club and if meet meet your expectations I would be happy to speak with you. My name is Mike Zidziunas (Mike Z) I am the director for the club and my number is (941)915-8883. Thanks Mike Z

RV Kit

Nanji Chandra,

Hello. My name is Ralph Zahnle, Jr. I am the program manager for a new high school aviation maintenance academy in Lake City, Florida. I am an ATP Pilot, Flight Instructor and A&P/IA mechanic. Previously, I was a Professor at Florida State College at Jacksonville in the aviation maintenance department. I recently left that position to start an aviation maintenance program for the high school students from Columbia County, Hamilton County and Union County, Florida. The aforementioned counties are poor rural counties with little opportunities for students after graduation. I have been fund raising for the last two years to get the program to where it is now. Last Monday was our first day of class with 35 enrolled students. Lake City is the home of HAECO airframe services. They are a large repair station for United Airlines, Jet Blue and several other airlines. They are interested in hiring my students upon graduation. The first two years of the program is teaching them how to build and repair aircraft aluminum structures. I have asked several kit plane manufacturers as if they would be willing to donate an aircraft kit so the students could participate in building a real aircraft. None have responded yet. I also live at Cannon Creek Airpark in Lake City, Florida. Cannon Creek is the home of dozens of RV aircraft and aircraft builders. All of them would be willing to become technical advisors to my program if we had an RV kit to build. If you would be willing to donate your kit to our program it would be a great enhancement to our program. We are also a non-profit organization and can give you a receipt for your donation. Please contact me if you would like to discuss the program further.

Sincerely,

Ralph Zahnle
386-965-1502
[email protected]

FROM MY SONS AT VIRGINIA TECH

To Whom It May Concern:

My name is Hunter Hollingshead; I am an aerospace engineering student at Virginia Tech and I write to you in search of assistance in starting a club to build an aircraft at Virginia Tech. Last year I went to each of my Aerospace professors requesting sponsorship for the club and information on how to get school funding and was essentially met with a ?you?re not going to be able to get funding and this is not a plausible goal? response. I have since resorted to applying to start an undergraduate research project called Craft and Design of MAV?s (Manned Aerial Vehicles). The goal for this project is to give myself and other students experience designing and building aircrafts. This will greatly improve the opportunity students have for getting careers in the aeronautical field, especially considering that VANS Inc. doesn?t even review resume?s of those with no aircraft building experience.
If given the opportunity I would like Craft and Design of MAV?s to evolve into a student run organization to finish building your Vans RV 7 (and many more aircrafts thereafter) to be used analogously to EAA?s Young Eagles program. I would encourage more pilots and aviation fanatics to join the club and experience all aspects of aviation from the ground up. I also hope to use other funding received to enroll students in aircraft building seminars such as those offered by EAA this fall so that we may better educate members of the group.

Please consider my letter and feel free to contact me with questions and suggestions,

Hunter Hollingshead
609-221-7135
[email protected]

Thanks for the responses!

Folks,

Thanks for all the great responses. I've been having a crazy week (just the reason why I'm not making progress on my build). I'll respond to everyone that individually this weekend.

Jack - Great to hear from you! Hope all is well with you and EAA 166! Miss you all very much!

Cheers!

Nanji

Back