What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Geography Lesson...

comfortcat

Well Known Member
Panel Geography

I'm starting to think about wiring my plane, so I'm thinking about what my panel is going to look like and that brings up the idea of tablets.

I was around when we saw the exponential growth of microcomputers, and we are now seeing the same thing with tablets, which are actually thin flat microcomputers. Multi-processor, gigabyte, HIGH RES microcomputers.

Tablets are getting faster, more powerful, networked, sharper, have greater capacity in processor, memory and storage. And cheaper.

I believe that EVERYONE who is planning a panel today better plan for a panel mounted tablet.

* Cut a hole for the tablet? Nope. You will not know if your tablet will be 7", 8" 10" or even 12". RAM type mounts that allow the tablet to snap onto the surface and slide in and out. Remember, there is a good chance you will be replacing you panel tablet every three years!

2j3pnpd.jpg

* Power? the USB connector is becoming pretty universal, so you need to have an internal power source that a USB cable can plug into. Cigarette lighter outlet? Nah. Behind the panel is better, and these work today, like from Blue Sea Systems:

25g88s9.jpg

* Do I need wiring for a network connection? Nope, WiFi and Bluetooth will be the defacto standard for tablet devices. External GPS (if needed), ADS-B, AHARS and other devices we have not yet even thought of will be wireless. How about a high resolution camera that can see in the dark and in clouds?

The question is no longer "Should I buy a tablet?" but rather, "When should I buy my tablet?"

Tablets are the future. And that is when my plane will fly.

CC

Be careful that your USB port is delivering 5+/-0.25 clean DC volts. Many of the gadgets that can be powered by USB are intolerant of ship's power. You'll also want to make sure your 12vdc to USB converter can deliver 2.5 amps if you want to charge on-the-fly. The wall wart for an iPad is rated for 2.5amps @10 watts.

Last edited:
I'd suggest the install use a cigarette lighter receptical rather than a USB receptacle.

With a cigarette receptical you can plug in anything, including a low profile dual USB adapter.

Under my panel I installed a twin cigarette receptical. I've only used both on one ocasion but it was nicer than fumbling with a splitter.

Cig Lighter plug...

I will be putting two 12V cigarette lighter plugs on the outside of the panel, but I thought they were a bit bulky for behind the panel, but you are right:

1. More universal
2. Some VERY compact USB adapters are available.

Hmmm... maybe one of each?

Question: Why do they still call them Cigarette Lighters? When was the last time you allowed someone to light a cigarette in your plane?

CC

Question: Why do they still call them Cigarette Lighters? When was the last time you allowed someone to light a cigarette in your plane?

CC

Same reason some of us old farts still say "Centigrade" instead of "Celsius" when we're talking about temperature. We grew up with it, and we're engrained with it deep in our brains! For further enlightenment, see this. :)

Last edited:
Just a quick thought to add to the very rational thoughts already stated in this thread.

While "external devices", be they tablets, GPS, ADS-B or whatever, are terrific additions to our cockpit equipment, the rats nest of connecting cords they bring with them represent a serious threat to cockpit emergency egress capability and crash impact survivability.

This threat needs to be dealt with by carefully planning where your "external devices" are mounted and how firmly they're mounted. Break-away mounts may prevent more serious head and body injuries in an impact scenario. Ideally we want to mount the devices where our heads can't hit them, but we already know from experience that we have few options in our small cockpits. If we can't mount the unit out of harms way then we need to give serious consideration to some flexible or soft mounting technique. Ralph Nader wasn't completely crazy when the movement he sparked drove the current "soft and flush" automobile cockpit designs. We can't afford to lose the value of those lessons so painfully learned.

When installing a "portable" device, please consider purchasing an extra set of its corded connection wires which can then be semi-permanently installed in the cockpit. This allows us to route and secure the wires so they will not be able to entrap us as we try to make a hasty exit from an aircraft which might be burning or sinking in water. The investment in extra cords is a small price to pay for the additional margin of safety that is afforded by not having a cockpit full of tripwires.

The safety ideas are VERY good. Wires have drowned more than one aviator caught by a helmet cord.
Another thought:build your own USB circuit and jack. The adapters rarely deliver enough current at 5VDC. A surplus charge cord from Garmin or elsewhere can be cannibalized and soldered to a USB jack. More than two amps, stable voltage and use less panel space.

Back