What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GDL-82 Issues

BobRv4

Well Known Member
I have a Gdl82 running with a Becker transponder. Was working great in anonymous mode, but now I'm getting calls about no ADSB. As soon as I flip the switch to show my N number, it works. So not sure if the tower doent know, understand, or like the anonymous mode but I want to figure it out. Plan is to update software and see if the install tool shows any errors. Any other 82 guys have had this issue? Thanks.

Thanks, ran the report no red blocks or areas at all. So it works fine in normal mode. Will update software and run the install tool and see what happens.

Who is saying you don't have ads-b? The tower? They probably won't see your ads-b unless you are out of anonymous mode or squawking something other than VFR. If it's another airplane, then it's possible they have their settings configured to not show VFR airplanes, only airplanes with tail numbers.

I think some people aren't used to anonymous mode even if your setup is working fine.

If you have a mac laptop you can download dump978 and get a small SDR radio and can actually look at what your system is spitting out.

Here is instructions on dump978: https://gist.github.com/fasiha/c123a9c6b6c78df7597bb45e0fed808f
Here is an SDR radio that should work: https://a.co/d/cyiq81a

hope that helps.

I'll let you double check this, but if you're talking to ATC -- including tower -- you're not supposed to use anonymous mode.

I'll let you double check this, but if you're talking to ATC -- including tower -- you're not supposed to use anonymous mode.
Ed, I don't think that's correct (although it makes sense). What is true is that if you're given a squawk code (anything other than 1200) the box should automatically drop out of anonymous mode.

You can legally use anonymous mode anytime, been using it since day one of adsb mandate. This issues has just started. Also anonymous only works squawking 1200. I still think its something the tower doesnt like or see. The tower is the only one Ive talked to. Hooking up a laptop next week will see what happens. Im thinking worst case ill just switch to show my N number. Thanks for all comments and info will report back in a week or so.

I have had chats at the pump with others, including instructors, that mention they didn’t see my N-number on their ADS-B. when explained i fly in anonymous mode they comment i should not be able to fly anonymous mode.

I hazard the guess that the tower controller is spoiled by seeing N# displayed and now he can see your number so he thinks your equipment is at fault. Perhaps tower needs to be reminded that it is a visual operation - radar is in the other room... we have a few like that as well. Fly on 🛩

§ 91.319 Aircraft having experimental certificates: Operating limitations.
(d) Each person operating an aircraft that has an experimental certificate shall—
(3) Notify the control tower of the experimental nature of the aircraft when operating the aircraft into or out of airports with operating control towers.
I once won a bet with an FAA inspector on this one...

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/technology/equipadsb/resources/faq says "Additionally, GA operators that are equipped with UAT transceivers, squawking 1200, and flying below FL180, have the option to select "anonymous mode". This enables the transceiver to broadcast a randomized temporary address, but it disables ATC's ability to provide services. The transceiver reverts back automatically to the assigned ICAO aircraft address when the anonymous mode is turned off.”

It’s amazing to me that more people aren‘t using anonymous mode, or at least understand the perspective of privacy advocates given the abuse we’ve seen. It’s nobodies business to track where I am or if I’m operating unless I’m getting services from them. In the mean time I’m happy to barf out anonymous VFR pings so that others near me can see me on their screen.

I’d feel different if ads-b was encrypted and had one lick of security thought put into it, but it would make ads-b in much more complex as the keys would need to be embedded into the client like with DVD or bluray players which just means it’s only a matter of time before it‘s cracked.

My last update on this post. A buddy came by with his portable Adsb reciever, my unit work fine in both normal (N number) and anonymous (random id code). So I'm going to leave it as my 82 works fine.

My last update on this post. A buddy came by with his portable Adsb reciever, my unit work fine in both normal (N number) and anonymous (random id code). So I'm going to leave it as my 82 works fine.
Thank you for the follow up.

You can legally use anonymous mode anytime, been using it since day one of adsb mandate. This issues has just started. Also anonymous only works squawking 1200. I still think its something the tower doesnt like or see. The tower is the only one Ive talked to. Hooking up a laptop next week will see what happens. Im thinking worst case ill just switch to show my N number. Thanks for all comments and info will report back in a week or so.
I don't think you have a problem at all, other than a tower controller with an anti-anonymous attitude.

I have a Gdl82 running with a Becker transponder. Was working great in anonymous mode, but now I'm getting calls about no ADSB. As soon as I flip the switch to show my N number, it works. So not sure if the tower doent know, understand, or like the anonymous mode but I want to figure it out. Plan is to update software and see if the install tool shows any errors. Any other 82 guys have had this issue? Thanks.
The only type of tower controller that could possibly complain about this would be at a Class Delta airport. Reason being that ADS-B only supports anonymous mode on one squawk code, 1200 VFR. So any tower controller at a Bravo or Charlie airport wouldn't even be talking to you unless you had a prior-issued discrete transponder code assigned by approach, clearance delivery or center. Anonymous mode can't work unless you are squawking VFR. So your Class Delta tower controller might not have equipment that accommodates a target in UAT anonymous mode but that's his problem, not yours. You are fully legal at Class Delta and lower class airspace. The controller may even be using FightAware or similar app that ignores UAT altogether (although FA is trying to get UAT receivers out in the field).

When UAT anonymous mode is active the rest of the world with normal ADS-B receivers (which apparently your tower controller doesn't) will still show you as a target, just without your aircraft and personal information attached. You are still safely in the system for traffic avoidance, usually with a "VFR" designator next to your target icon rather than N Number. The casual aircraft owner, CFI or DPE usually mistakenly thinks that anonymous mode means you are invisible. The words "anonymous" and "invisible" do not have the same definition. I get that all the time. They shows ignorance on their part. Analogy time. It is no different than cars on the freeway traveling safely by maintaining separation without knowing the name and personal details of every driver around them. Imagine if a law was passed to where you had to put a sign up in the rear window of your car with your name, address and phone number for all the other cars to see? How would that enhance safety? For operational and safety's sake I want everybody to see me the best way they can (ADS-B) without the unnecessary disclosure of personal information (anonymous mode).

Main point here is that I know many times ATC equipment upgrades take more time than the normal gubmit' cycle and that might have something to do with it. So it's your tower controller, not you.

I only fly in anonymous mode (I don’t fly into class B or C airports). I occasionally switch out of it to see if my airplane drops off my ADS-B display as I have blocked my own N-number from displaying. I feel it is a quick check to see if my GDL-82 is sending my info.
Displaying N-numbers would not be an issue to me if the FAA did not have all aircraft and pilot registrations accessible to the general public on their website. But that horse has left the barn.

Displaying N-numbers would not be an issue to me if the FAA did not have all aircraft and pilot registrations accessible to the general public on their website. But that horse has left the barn.
Exactly right! Calls for the higher diligence of flying in anonymous mode.

The only reason there must be a "mode" switch for anonymous installed is an isolated operational case. That is when you are flying on a VFR flight plan and are not using flight following. Then the anonymous mode switch must be set to the "disabled" position. So the rest of the time, including on an IFR flight plan or using flight following, the anonymous mode switch can be left in "enabled". Reason that works is the equipment ignores the anonymous mode switch when squawking any code besides 1200 so the switch doesn't matter.

Back