What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GTR200 com

That doesn't look like arcing to me. Could there be something rubbing against the aluminum case that's creating aluminum dust/powder?

I agree with you also that it looks like aluminum dust.
I’m just looking for all options because I’ve had com problems since 2017. I’ve changed everything from the antenna, coax all wiring and separated it from all other vans components, ran a separate grounding cable from all components to the battery ground terminal and even changed radios. all of this was with the help of experts, and it’s better. However, now I’ve just had a complete com failure and have a new unit to put in and praying it will remain good.

Failure could have been due to constant vibration of the radio. Maybe the tray is mounted solidly.. but the radio was a little loosey goosey in it.. Seems it was vibrating against the tray in that area.. so.. maybe the vibration was enough to make a component or joint to fail inside the radio.

vibration

so, if you haven't found the root cause of the issue, wouldn't replacing the radio just result in the same eventual failure?

if vibration is suspected,

a) balance carbs
b) check propellor angles +/- 0.1 degrees
c) dynamic balance the prop
d) other sources of vibration??

good luck

There’s burned spots on the bottom of my GTR200 com box. In this picture it shows 3 about the size of your thumb. It black spots like it’s been arcing. If you touch it you get black on your finger.

When I zoom in on that black area in your photo I have to agree that it does look like there might be some pitting from what could be a wire touching and arcing in this area.

Have you removed the radio from the rack and looked to see if there are any wires located in this area that might be causing arcing?

In looking at the below picture of the bottom of a GTR 200 in a rack, it seems possible that this damage may have occurred in an area covered by the rack. Are you sure that this damage did not occur when the radio was out of the plane?

BottomSideInRack.jpg

Steve

Last edited:
If the damaged areas on the bottom of the radio case were caused by arcing wires, it would be pretty easy to just visually look at wires in that area and tell whether that was the cause.
I am doubtful that it was.
There are clear, scrape marks, running fore an aft on the case related to the fretted area that is closest to the face plate. There is probably a bad burr on the edge of the tray in the position of the fretted spot. That is what would have also caused, the scrape marks each time the radio was inserted or removed.
The aft one may also be from a burr on the tray, or it may just be from the radio, not being seated tightly.
I think this was all caused by the radio not being fully seated in the tray.
This could be caused by the actual mounting position of the tray, resulting in some interference between the front face plate, and the instrument panel, preventing the radio from sliding into the tray fully.
This could cause performance issues with the radio and potentially it’s ultimate failure.

BTW, I would strongly recommend you have a dynamic propeller balance done if it hasn’t ever been.

Last edited:
It feels like the new engine isolators is helping. I didn’t notice the difference until I changed them. Also changed the radio and upgraded it.

It feels like the new engine isolators is helping. I didn’t notice the difference until I changed them. Also changed the radio and upgraded it.
I’ve also had the propeller dynamically balanced.
Started out at 0.22 ips ended at 0.03 ips which is considered good.
The airplane still isn’t anywhere near as smooth as my bonanza are my Cessna 172.

Back