What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GEA-24 Direct P-lead Connection

Ralph Ketter

Patron
I'm hoping for some input from G3Expert here to my two questions at the end.
I'm helping a friend with his G3X. The Tachometer suddenly started reading much higher than the actual as well as reading erratically, pegging out and a red X appearing. He was using a tach vent magnetic pickup sensor which had been working fine. Looked at the option of using the 400K resistor to the p-lead but a caution note indicated the GEA-24 must be Mod level 2 and his unit is Mod level 1.

P-lead Caution.png
Looking at this diagram it suggests that maybe this doesn't apply when connecting to the ignition switch end. One toggle switch in this case, the other side is electronic ignition.
P-Lead Connection.png

• Is it possible Mod level 2 does not apply if connected to the ignition switch side?
  • What is the path for getting Mod level 2?

A T1A9-1 sensor for his slick mag is on order hoping that will fix the problem but looking at other options.

You definitely cannot connect a GEA 24 to the P-lead of a magneto, regardless of any other components that may or may not be used, unless it meets the minimum Mod Level requirement listed in the documentation.

In my experience, a GEA 24 that is misused like this will indicate a configuration error, which should be your clue to investigate what is wrong.

Thanks Matt,
I'm also sure it can't be done without Mod level 2, but I'm wondering if the lack of specifically indicating note 3 on for the switch end connection was an oversight.
I also would like to know is there is a path to upgrading to Mod level 2, what it is and what the cost might be.

Well the new T1A9-1 sensor fixed the problematic RPM readings. I am still curious why the Garmin diagram clearly shows the Note 3 warning twice for the direct Mag connections but it is not shown on the indirect ignition switch option.

It's pretty clear from the context and the rest of the installation manual that the lack of duplicated symbols for notes 2 and 3 in this diagram is just an oversight. I wouldn't be surprised to see a revision at some point in the future.

Back