What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GAP-26 Pitot-AOA location/mouting in RV-10

Megan995

I'm New Here
What mounting bracket are you using for the GAP-26? I've seen some versions that look like they were anodized and attached to the main spar, although i cant seem to find that one online. Garmin's version looks like you need to add an access panel and then mount it within that, so it would only be supported by the skin. not sure if that's an issue or not.

The instructions for the Gap-26 mention that it must be located within the first 25% of the wing cord from the leading edge for the AOA to work best. Does installing it just aft of the main spar meet that requirement or does it need to be installed in the outboard leading edge skin?

Megan

i used the safeair mount.

simple to install. In the standard position recommend by Vans and in the safeair instructions.

regards Peter

What mounting bracket are you using for the GAP-26? I've seen some versions that look like they were anodized and attached to the main spar, although i cant seem to find that one online. Garmin's version looks like you need to add an access panel and then mount it within that, so it would only be supported by the skin. not sure if that's an issue or not.

The instructions for the Gap-26 mention that it must be located within the first 25% of the wing cord from the leading edge for the AOA to work best. Does installing it just aft of the main spar meet that requirement or does it need to be installed in the outboard leading edge skin?
The Garmin GAP26 mount AND a doubler attach to an EXISTING wing access panel. There's no need to add another panel.

You want the probe in ‘clean’, undisturbed air. Not behind the prop arc, not behind the spar. I put mine next to an existing access panel, mounted to the skin with a doubler. I would avoid any drilling of holes in the spar without guidance from Vans. Also, check where a tie down rope will run, from the tie down ring to the ground. Not a great idea if the pitot tube interferes with this.

Back