What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X EarthX Fault Monitoring

Dad's RV-10

Well Known Member
The EarthX batteries provide a discrete output for each pulse, which is a ground signal (active low). However, EarthX batteries 100 series, such as the ETX 900, only have three indications - slow flashing (five seconds on, five seconds off), short flashing 2 seconds on, 2 seconds off) or on solid.

If you have it connected to a discrete input, then the fault indication on the EFIS should come on or off and repeat until the fault clears per the table.

To understand the fault, you need to compare battery voltage against slow, short flashing or on solid.

But either way, it's just a discrete input and should work as if it were pulsing an LED light.

I've tested this on my G3X and it indicates correctly. BTW, there is a fault LED on the battery itself, so if you're testing, you can compare what the battery LED is indicating vs the EFIS.

The above quote is from an older post in the RV-10 subforum.

Does the G3X have the capability for the discrete to be programmed to differentiate the three EarthX fault flash sequences so the message displayed on the EFIS can be specific to the fault indicated? I searched the G3X installation manual but I couldn't find anything.

If not, I've got my first request for the Garmin G3X Touch Feature Wish List thread.

The above quote is from an older post in the RV-10 subforum.

Does the G3X have the capability for the discrete to be programmed to differentiate the three EarthX fault flash sequences so the message displayed on the EFIS can be specific to the fault indicated? I searched the G3X installation manual but I couldn't find anything.

If not, I've got my first request for the Garmin G3X Touch Feature Wish List thread.
Yes it does, if the LED on the EarthX is blinking, your CAS will also blink at the same rate. I have seen this multiple times on mine.

... it's just a discrete input and should work as if it were pulsing an LED light.

I've tested this on my G3X and it indicates correctly. BTW, there is a fault LED on the battery itself, so if you're testing, you can compare what the battery LED is indicating vs the EFIS.

Yes it does, if the LED on the EarthX is blinking, your CAS will also blink at the same rate. I have seen this multiple times on mine.

Yes, but what what I'm wondering is if the G3X discrete input can be programed to interpret the flash pattern and display a specific message based on the pattern detected (eg; BAT TEMP or BMS FAULT).

EarthX Flash Codes.jpg

Yes, but what what I'm wondering is if the G3X discrete input can be programed to interpret the flash pattern and display a specific message based on the pattern detected (eg; BAT TEMP or BMS FAULT).

View attachment 58189
That I don't know and I have not seen anything to indicate such thing is possible with the existing version. Even with the new logic setting, I can not imagine a why to do it.

You'd need something intermediate to "parse" the blinks and then feed the G3X inputs (e.g. to multiple discretes) - could easily do it with an Arduino or similar.

Back