What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel vent ice protection

bob888

Well Known Member
I have found some older threads on this topic including installation of check valve inside the wing root (Tim Olson) or inside cabin (Vic Syracuse). There is also the idea of mounting a rudder cable fairlead over the vent on the outside of the wing (Vic Syracuse). Another is drilling a small hole in the tubing inside the wing root (simplest). Is there any consensus, or even a better idea about this problem? I don't find anything recent, so maybe it is a settled issue.

I drilled a small hole on the backside of the vent tube outside of the wing root. I really did not want fuel draining inside of the wing root. This is the same method Piper has used for years. I ahve never had an opportunity to test it, and hopefully never will:eek:

I used these. I've had them installed for little over two years with no issues.

vents_assembled_product__91179.1304033344.1280.1280.jpg

http://www.jdair.com/fuel-vents-for-all-vans-rv-aircraft/

Fuel vents

Thanks Bob but these don't really address the icing question; in fact specifically say not to be used in icing conditions...but they sure look good.

Thanks Bob but these don't really address the icing question; in fact specifically say not to be used in icing conditions...but they sure look good.

You're RV isn't supposed to go into known icing either. I like having the two openings in case there is a blockage.

The question is if that is a general cya statement in an attempt to limit liability or are they aware of a known issue. It's a good question to address with JDAIR.

Here a link to the April 2004 Sport Aviation article where Bruce Bohannon discusses the damage to his fuel tank due to the vent icing over. Keep in mind that Bruce was using water to cool his oil cooler which lead to his frozen vents.

http://spirit.eaa.org/apps/magazines/eaa_articles/2004_04_05.pdf

I agree with Bob and the statement that the RV is not supposed to be flown into know icing.

The JDAIR fuel vent looks good, however if you are picking up enough ice to plug the primary opening the secondary opening is too close in my opinion and will probably get iced over also. Could be wrong, just an opinion with no fact to support.

Last edited:
I assume you are concerned about the forward facing vent collecting ice causing a partial vacuum in the fuel tank. This, I assume, could either lead to a tank collapse and/or cause fuel feed problems.

A couple of thoughts. Firstly, is the fuel cap that air-tight? Secondly, isn't a simple fix to tee-off a NRV inside the wing root?

Back