What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel indicator inop

Hello, just finished 14A and have 8hrs into test flying. Left wing fuel indicator is now working well after shaking the wing with 1/2 full tanks to dislodge a stuck float. No luck with the right wing.
Question. Is there a way to reach the float by way of the fuel cap? And/or is there some other method to free the stuck float without removing the sending unit?

Tim

Did you build the tanks? Given that they both stuck, it’s possible they are contacting the baffle. This can be confirmed by putting an ohmmeter on the lead to the sender. Empty should give a reading of about 240 ohms and full should be about 34 ohms. If it’s somewhere in the middle then the float rod is likely contacting the baffle and will have to be adjusted. The rods are very ridgid so you may be looking at removing the sender. Also, you could remove the AN913-3D plug, if unused, and insert a bore scope. If you don’t have one it would be a valuable addition to your tool box. All safety precautions should be adhered to including draining and venting the tank if you’re gonna insert any electrical devices.

Have you tried using a remote camera/borescope to look inside? Would give you an idea of how far to need to reach. You could possibly use a stiff wire and reach inside to move the float. Be sure to bend to end, so as to not scratch/score the inside of your tank.

The wings were QB. This week I will try your suggestions with the fuel indicators.
It’s issues like this that makes a guy just want to grab the paint stir stick which I get for free from Lowe’s ..
Thanks for the help
Tim

I had one float stick on my -10, after many months sitting in the new, empty tank. It responded to some firm rapping, with my open hand, on the mounting rib and bottom skin. Hasn’t ever stuck again.

We have QB wings. Ours first pair would get stuck. Replaced them half way into Phase 1, and now only one sticks, with 50 hours on the plane. I use the Home Depot sticks...better quality than the Lowe's sticks :)

Fuel indicator

Thanks to the guys at Builders Assist. My fuel indicator problem was a wiring issue. A missing wire. Reinstalled and working fine
Thanks for the reply and build on.
3yrs 3 months and now flying

I had one float stick on my -10, after many months sitting in the new, empty tank. It responded to some firm rapping, with my open hand, on the mounting rib and bottom skin. Hasn’t ever stuck again.

This works good

Back