What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel cap tabs (again)

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
Are those tabs available separately? Has anybody made any with 3-D printing?

Last time I checked, it was buy a whole new cap when the tab wore down...

Ed

I was able to re-work the tabs to make them lock more securely in the over-center (locked) position if that's the problem.

-Marc

Ed

Yep...Usher doesn't do parts anymore. you have to go through ACS and they don't sell anything but the entire assembly.

Ed

If the tabs no longer lock securely, remove the tabs and file the "locking corner" of the tabs back to a sharp corner. This will restore positive action to the tabs.

Yep...Usher doesn't do parts anymore. you have to go through ACS and they don't sell anything but the entire assembly.
“UD-3 Latch and Post Assembly” is p/n 05-27366 at ACS. $24.50 vs $69.85 for the complete cap.

But IME, it’s so hard to get them apart without breaking the pin that I’ll just get the cap if the time comes.

If the tabs no longer lock securely, remove the tabs and file the "locking corner" of the tabs back to a sharp corner. This will restore positive action to the tabs.
More important than making the corner “sharp” is to make it less than 90 degrees.. that will help it snap over center. Also grease it with Cryox 205 and it’ll not wear out. You want to adjust the cap only just tight enough that it doesn’t spin when closed. Anything more and you are accelerating the wear.
“UD-3 Latch and Post Assembly” is p/n 05-27366 at ACS. $24.50 vs $69.85 for the complete cap.

But IME, it’s so hard to get them apart without breaking the pin that I’ll just get the cap if the time comes.
I’ve taken apart lots and haven’t broken one yet.. you should close the cap, and try to hold the lower part when you loosen the nut..

Ed
I was able to repair a couple of these with my TIG welder by welding on a little aluminum to the two worn corners, using a high frequency setting, and then filing them down to the correct shape. I left the cap together while doing it and it worked out. Maybe you can find a local welder who can do this for you.
edit. I did take the cap apart but did not take the pins out leaving the two hinged pieces together.
YMMV

Last edited:
More important than making the corner “sharp” is to make it less than 90 degrees.. that will help it snap over center. Also grease it with Cryox 205 and it’ll not wear out. You want to adjust the cap only just tight enough that it doesn’t spin when closed. Anything more and you are accelerating the wear.

I’ve taken apart lots and haven’t broken one yet.. you should close the cap, and try to hold the lower part when you loosen the nut..
What worked for me is using a cordless drill motor with a low setting that it will ratchet as I hold the closed cap in my gloved hand.
The skipping of the clutch release causes the nut to release from threaded shaft without any pin damage or needing to use excessive torque.

Back