What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fredericksburg to Reno

texdog

Well Known Member
Fredericksburg, Tx. to Reno for the races and return in a RV6A. We had to go the southern route out because of thunderstorms on the northern route. Only added 56 miles to the trip.
We limited legs to around 2 hours to make it easy for everyone. We had two RV6A’s, one
had never been on a long cross country and we wanted to stop for lunch and breaks. Left
Fredericksburg at 9:15 AM with stops in Pecos, Deming, overnight in Prescott, AZ. Cutter
Aviations was very nice to us. Departed Prescott Friday 10:00, stopped for fuel in Beatty, NV.
Very low main tire, we fussed with it in 100 degree heat and finally decided to press on to
Carson City. No real issue with the tire, but Mountain West couldn’t get to it for 30 days. We
found a tailgate mechanic and I had a new tube and we were fixed in two hours and hangar
for both airplanes for the weekend, thanks Jess.
Good two days at the races until the last 10 minutes, we left immediately. Departed Monday
10:00AM for St. George,Ut., Belen, NM, they gave us a crew car for overnight. We couldn’t
make the thunderstorms for Ruidoso, NM. Next morning to Big Spring, TX. where I had a
flat on the taxiway. Seam split on the Leak Stop, had to get a dolly to tow to the hangar.
Luckily the FBO had a tire and tube. I usually do my own work, but the tire was beyond
repair and the FBO got right on it. They had the tire and tube.

2363 nautical miles in 16.1 hours, 147 kts. average. We had a 10 to 20 kt. head wind all the way to Carson City. Fuel cost varied from $5.40 to 7.25 per gallon. Fuel cost was 748.00. $699.00 for the tire and tube and to tow to the hangar and change the tire. Good trip and
the RV is always a great way to travel. Judie and I take turns flying and she does all
the radio work. It keeps her awake on my legs.

tire tubes

so, you had two tire tubes fail on your trip? same side?
sounds like fun trip otherwise.
thanks for posting.
lawrence

Flats

Interesting point Lawrence. The first one was on the left side and it was caused by a bent valve stem. It went down to 18 pounds. The second one was on the right, split seam, it went flat in a 2.2 hour flight. It wasn’t totally flat on landing, but when I cleared the runway there was a groove in the tire which created smoke and we exited the cockpit immediately. Didn’t damage the wheel pant. The dolly the FBO had was tall and 3 of us couldn’t lift the airplane high enough to get it on their dolly. Took the wheel pant off and used a jack.

Berringer

And this is why I went to the Berringer Tubless tire. Its beautiful and works great.

Back