What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Formation at Petit Jean

StuBob

Well Known Member
I have some two-ship Bonanza experience (did the B2OSH training but didn’t fly the arrival), and I’ve flown my RV off the wing of a Marchetti a few times, but I’ve never flown a four-ship or larger.

Would it be possible to do some of that at Petit Jean? I thought maybe I could ride shotgun with someone or have an experienced coach ride shotgun with me.

Looking forward to my first Petit Jean!

I have some two-ship Bonanza experience (did the B2OSH training but didn’t fly the arrival), and I’ve flown my RV off the wing of a Marchetti a few times, but I’ve never flown a four-ship or larger.

Would it be possible to do some of that at Petit Jean? I thought maybe I could ride shotgun with someone or have an experienced coach ride shotgun with me.

Looking forward to my first Petit Jean!

Stu,
Looking forward to meeting you at PJ. Formation flying is the single most social thing a pilot can do: You can't do it alone. You must have at least 2 pilots to formate.

Before you fly formation, please PLEASE review the FFI Formation Guide, found here: https://ffi.aero/documents.html. That document represents the standards, position references, signals, etc. that were devised by an RVator for RVators, and most of us there that formate do so according to these standards.

I urge you to first ride shotgun with someone who has formation experience (like me, for example). You'll love it.

Ah shoot, just show up, ask around, listen for those talking about it. I’ll likely fly some and lead some too. Usually happens Friday PM and Saturday (but not during the balloon pop). You can ride with me when I’m on the wing.

Alright, that was AWESOME!

Thanks to Scroll, Ripster, Meat, and Shredder for introducing me to the 4-ship mysteries!

Back