What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying to Lake Placid, NY

miyu1975

Well Known Member
My wife and I are flying the Lake Placid, NY at the end of July to volunteer at the Ironman LP event (and sign up for 2016). I have not been out this way before and LP is in the mountains. I was hoping any locals in the area may give me some advice on LP.
Thanks a bunch.

Lake Placid

Lake Placid airport can be challenging if there is weather in the area or if it's windy. I've found Saranac Lake (SLK) to be a good alternative. Not far away and west of the terrain. Rental cars are available on-field.

Years ago when living in Connecticut I flew the area - beautiful on a nice day, treacherous when windy or with low ceilings. Once had a C-150 caught in an updraft - what a ride.

Don't plan on arriving on any given day, it may not work out.

The approach from the south is beautiful. I came from NJ and followed a little path between the mountains to descend into the valley that was Lake Placid. Plenty of time and space to make the approach and set up for landing. It was a breezy September day but the wind was mostly down the runway. No issues. I've actually had more turbulence over flat ground in the Summer at altitude. But I imagine it could get bumpy. I flew a similar route to Plattsburg, near the Canadian border. Same situation with bumps over the mountains and some gusty conditions on the ground but no real problems.

Lake Placid has a wonderful (and free if I remember correctly) shuttle trolley. We took it into town and walked around for lunch, then jumped back on at the curb when we wanted to come back to the airport.

Like Plattsburg, it was COLD. Kind of like climbing into your refrigerator for a while in the Summer. Bring warm clothes. This was one of about 3 trips I've taken in which I had to buy something extra to wear.

EDIT: Oh, and as far as food and lodging go. I'm not sure how crowded it will be in the Summer with an event but there are several really cool looking ski lodge looking places that might have been flown over the Alps ;). They line the main drag through town. They appeared to be very nie places to stay. I'm sure there are hotels outside of downtown as well. Once you leave the main drag, it looks like pretty much another upstate NY town. Plenty of food around as well. You might want a car to make getting around easier. If you are volunterring on the main road, you might not need a car but if you need to move around a little, or want to explore a little, then a car might be a big help. I'm sure the airport FBO could help. It is a really cool little place with the bobsled runs still in use and visable as you make your approach.

Last edited:
Good advice. Hotels are all sold out due to the Ironman event. I have spoken to the FBO and been told they have an area on the field to camp. Hopefully weather will not be an issue for us.

My wife and I did the LP Ironman years ago. It is a beautiful course. Good on you for giving back.

Fly down to Saratoga for the pony's! :D

http://www.saratogaracetrack.com/schedule/

+1 for Saratoga. My RV has been there twice for work.

DSCN3413.JPG

Travers Day is the prime race date...makes me wish I was single...Oh wait, I am!

Back