What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying tips

Jimpick

I am currently taking lesson and would like any tips you may have for me.

I have 20.8 hours of flying so far in a RV12. I have 35 landings. I have flown 13 times so far. The instructors say I am doing really well for the amount of time I have in so far. I have had 4 different instructors because my main one was out of town for 2 weeks.

I started taking lessons about March 1st. My goal was to surprise my wife for our 30th anniversary by flying her to KMCD and staying over night. I did not tell her I was taking lessons. But the FAA sent my student license which she got before I could get it out of the mail. And now the cat is out of the bag. And now she knows. But I did fly over my house yesterday morning so she could see me flying.

I am going to do my cross country part of the lesson with the instructor flying to KMCD from KTVC. KTVC is where I am taking the lessons.

So any tips to make this go easier would be appreciated.

Congratulations!
A Pilots licenses is a licenses to learn, for the rest of your flying life. Enjoy the experience and be a sponge.
I have been flying for thirty years. I am humbled by what I think I know, but really don’t. Keep an open mind. Keep learning.

I have 20.8 hours of flying so far in a RV12. I have 35 landings. I have flown 13 times so far. The instructors say I am doing really well for the amount of time I have in so far. I have had 4 different instructors because my main one was out of town for 2 weeks.
I started taking lessons about March 1st. My goal was to surprise my wife for our 30th anniversary by flying her to KMCD and staying over night. I did not tell her I was taking lessons. But the FAA sent my student license which she got before I could get it out of the mail. And now the cat is out of the bag. And now she knows. But I did fly over my house yesterday morning so she could see me flying.
I am going to do my cross country part of the lesson with the instructor flying to KMCD from KTVC. KTVC is where I am taking the lessons.
So any tips to make this go easier would be appreciated.
Welcome to The Club! I think it is SO COOL you were going to spring on your wife that way! That would have been AMAZING! But: You can still take her to KMCD and spend the night!

SO: try and keep with one instructor for the beginning of your training, if possible. We all have different ways of doing things and a little consistency in your training will help you develop your own ways patterned after what you have been taught. This is assuming that you like your original instructor. Did you think any of the other three were better....?

Take your wife out to the airport and show her the airplane. Get her out there with like-minded people so she can see the enthusiasm everyone has for flying. If you know other pilots who are married (and their wives like to fly...that is important...!), have them come out to the airport as well. Or arrange having lunch or dinner with them and your wife. It would be good for her to know there are other 'girls' who like to fly. Better yet, scout around for some women pilots! They can have a great influence.

Some thoughts.............

Congratulations!
A Pilots licenses is a licenses to learn, for the rest of your flying life. Enjoy the experience and be a sponge.
I have been flying for thirty years. I am humbled by what I think I know, but really don’t. Keep an open mind. Keep learning.
If I ever thought I really knew how to fly, I'd quit. I think I learn something EVERY time I go up, about me, the airplane, the weather, the terrain, the...........:)

Welcome to The Club! I think it is SO COOL you were going to spring on your wife that way! That would have been AMAZING! But: You can still take her to KMCD and spend the night!

SO: try and keep with one instructor for the beginning of your training, if possible. We all have different ways of doing things and a little consistency in your training will help you develop your own ways patterned after what you have been taught. This is assuming that you like your original instructor. Did you think any of the other three were better....?

Take your wife out to the airport and show her the airplane. Get her out there with like-minded people so she can see the enthusiasm everyone has for flying. If you know other pilots who are married (and their wives like to fly...that is important...!), have them come out to the airport as well. Or arrange having lunch or dinner with them and your wife. It would be good for her to know there are other 'girls' who like to fly. Better yet, scout around for some women pilots! They can have a great influence.

Some thoughts.............
I dont have much choice on who is the instructor. But I think I will have the same one for the rest of the time. I really noticed the difference in the different instructors. One was really picky and didnt let me get use to the stick by using it. I do think it was instructive to see how the different instructors thought about different aspects of the flying.

The choice to spring it on her has alot to do with never being able to take a vacation when I can. So I thought if I could rent a plane I didnt have to buy a pair of plane tickets we wouldnt be able to use because I had to work. But If I could rent a plane for 2 days here or there she would be thrilled. And the place I am getting my training at rents a RV12 for $138 a hour wet.

I dont know anyone that flies so that may be hard to do. Maybe I could take her to the school. Most of the people there are like 20 years or more younger that us. lol.

If I ever thought I really knew how to fly, I'd quit. I think I learn something EVERY time I go up, about me, the airplane, the weather, the terrain, the...........:)
Well dont look at me. I certainly dont know how to fly. I have been trying to fly at 7 AM. That way I can still get a full days work in after. But I did ask to fly in the afternoon so I could do touch and goes with other airplanes in the pattern and when the air was a little choppier. No one wants to fly at 7 AM and the air is real calm.

So I figure it would be best to fly in the afternoon. Joke was on me. I was the lead plane doing touch and goes with 3 behind me. The air was super calm and was coming from 360 with me landing on 36. Nothing to learn that I dint get in the morning. That was till the last landing.

During the last landing the had me extent to the north the switch from a left down wind to a right down wind. I ended up following the plane that was behind me. There were three planes in the air. When I flew over the airport the had me hold tight to runway 36 because one of the three was coming in on 28. I looked down and saw 7 planes on the taxiways and one on 36 and one on 28 waiting to take off. And then I did a full stop and really didn't get to much practice with other planes in the pattern.

I dont have much choice on who is the instructor. But I think I will have the same one for the rest of the time. I really noticed the difference in the different instructors. One was really picky and didnt let me get use to the stick by using it. I do think it was instructive to see how the different instructors thought about different aspects of the flying.
It is amazing the difference in how an instructor teaches you. Some will let you take them to The BRINK before intervening, and that might just be a quiet suggestion as they sit and watch. Um.....a little power right NOW might be a pretty good idea.....😳 Others will be grabbing controls away from you when you have no idea what you just did that they didn't like. :mad: :rolleyes: The more experience they have, the less likely they will be grabby. How are you supposed to learn if they won't let you use the stick??? I let my non-pilot friends fly if they want to!
The choice to spring it on her has alot to do with never being able to take a vacation when I can. So I thought if I could rent a plane I didnt have to buy a pair of plane tickets we wouldnt be able to use because I had to work. But If I could rent a plane for 2 days here or there she would be thrilled. And the place I am getting my training at rents a RV12 for $138 a hour wet.
You are about to find out just what a Magic Carpet these airplanes are. Any airplane, but especially the RV series.
I dont know anyone that flies so that may be hard to do. Maybe I could take her to the school. Most of the people there are like 20 years or more younger that us. lol.
Oh, hang around airplanes and airports long enough and you will start to get to know people who fly. It might actually be a good idea to take her to the flight school to have her see the enthusiasm the younger pilots have for learning how to fly. And she can see where you are learning. You will find people. It is a small but tight-knit community that loves to share what they do with ANYone, but especially other pilots.

Most of all: ENJOY YOURSELF! These formative early hours will long live in your memory.....

Many instructors are “time builders”, going for the hours so they can move on. Some are just plain lazy, and uninterested. You’re paying for the instruction. They are working for you. Ask to go to an airport that is relatively close, but less busy, so you can get more pattern work and landings. Later, you can learn how to integrate into a busy field.
A poor instructor doesn’t care about how many landings you get, just how many hours “they” can log.
There are also very good and responsible instructors who may also be building time. You will find over time that instructors, and pilots, are made up of all kinds of people, good, bad, and ugly.

Take control of your own training. If the instructor won’t work with you, move on. Instructors don’t hold any kind of “higher power”. You’re new, you hold them in high regard, but recognize they are not the boss! (Although, technically, they are pilot command).

Jim, I've made it a promise to myself never to scare anyone in an airplane. To the extent that such things depend on my stick and rudder skills and basic airmanship and decision-making, I have held true to that for 33 years. There's no accounting for birds, wildlife, and stupidity on the part of other pilots, and sometimes little accounting for weather other-than-forecast, but I do all that I can to make certain my pax are comfortable with the flight.

Having said that, my sage advice is to be wary of setting time goals (deadlines) for when certain things must happen. Trips get cancelled all the time in GA. Our dispatch reliability is nothing close to the airlines, or to car travel. Accept it. Don't ever push it. Last month wife and I had our bags packed and in the plane, and I was on the computer refreshing the forecasts and the METARs along our route, waiting for a rise in the visibility that never happened, although it seemed to be forever just around the corner. By the time the waiting game had played itself out, we were too late even to make the drive by car to get to the event, so the highway version of our getaway was also scrapped. My bad; should have given up sooner and transferred the suitcases to the Blazer and hit the road. But I should NOT have launched into scud over the entire state of WV, and I am proud of having resisted the wife's naive optimism that the skies would clear for us.

She hasn't been in inadvertent IMC for one minute; I have. I will never willingly take her there. Heck, I didn't mean to take myself there either time! Cultivate this attitude early in your training, and don't let your desire to please or to surprise your bride turn into a bad headline. Even your training might take more months and $$$ than you thought; don't let that discourage you. You solo when you're ready, not an hour sooner. Same for your PP check ride. Be aware of your limitations as a newly minted PP-ASEL when the big day comes. Her first ride with you can and IMO should wait until you are feeling truly ready to put her life in your hands. If that's ten more hours solo, then so be it. No biggie. If you scare her, she may never climb back in and aviation will become that thing you do without her. Might as well have taken up rugby at that point.

Many instructors are “time builders”, going for the hours so they can move on. Some are just plain lazy, and uninterested. You’re paying for the instruction. They are working for you. Ask to go to an airport that is relatively close, but less busy, so you can get more pattern work and landings. Later, you can learn how to integrate into a busy field.
A poor instructor doesn’t care about how many landings you get, just how many hours “they” can log.
There are also very good and responsible instructors who may also be building time. You will find over time that instructors, and pilots, are made up of all kinds of people, good, bad, and ugly.

Take control of your own training. If the instructor won’t work with you, move on. Instructors don’t hold any kind of “higher power”. You’re new, you hold them in high regard, but recognize they are not the boss! (Although, technically, they are pilot command).
In the morning I am pretty much alone in the pattern till about the last 15 minutes. The only plane around is the FedEx plane which just leaves the area. That is why I asked to fly in the afternoon. So I could get some experience around other planes in the air. Seems no one wants to get up early and fly. All the other people taking lessons seem to want to sleep in.

There is another airport close by that we did do some pattern work around in my first couple lessons. I am trying to get some 4 hour blocks and think this airport would be a good place to do some touch and goes. It is a paved untowered strip. The airport is KACB. If I fly for 4 hours then I will be in the air with 2-7 other planes and believe like you I could get more landings in if I was alone in doing touch and goes.

Great point thanks.

I did my training by driving an hour each way to the airport for a one-hour lesson every week or two. Very inefficient, but it spread the cost out. One day I just wasn't getting it, flustered, lots of dumb fumbling in the cockpit. My instructor had an available hour later in the day and suggested we try again after lunch. That second hour it all clicked for me and I solo'd the next week. Two in one day was what I needed to get over the hump. But it was a grueling day. I can't imagine you are not exhausted and learning less than optimally by flying 4 hours in a day - but if it works for you, go for it :D

Jim, I've made it a promise to myself never to scare anyone in an airplane. To the extent that such things depend on my stick and rudder skills and basic airmanship and decision-making, I have held true to that for 33 years. There's no accounting for birds, wildlife, and stupidity on the part of other pilots, and sometimes little accounting for weather other-than-forecast, but I do all that I can to make certain my pax are comfortable with the flight.

Having said that, my sage advice is to be wary of setting time goals (deadlines) for when certain things must happen. Trips get cancelled all the time in GA. Our dispatch reliability is nothing close to the airlines, or to car travel. Accept it. Don't ever push it. Last month wife and I had our bags packed and in the plane, and I was on the computer refreshing the forecasts and the METARs along our route, waiting for a rise in the visibility that never happened, although it seemed to be forever just around the corner. By the time the waiting game had played itself out, we were too late even to make the drive by car to get to the event, so the highway version of our getaway was also scrapped. My bad; should have given up sooner and transferred the suitcases to the Blazer and hit the road. But I should NOT have launched into scud over the entire state of WV, and I am proud of having resisted the wife's naive optimism that the skies would clear for us.

She hasn't been in inadvertent IMC for one minute; I have. I will never willingly take her there. Heck, I didn't mean to take myself there either time! Cultivate this attitude early in your training, and don't let your desire to please or to surprise your bride turn into a bad headline. Even your training might take more months and $$$ than you thought; don't let that discourage you. You solo when you're ready, not an hour sooner. Same for your PP check ride. Be aware of your limitations as a newly minted PP-ASEL when the big day comes. Her first ride with you can and IMO should wait until you are feeling truly ready to put her life in your hands. If that's ten more hours solo, then so be it. No biggie. If you scare her, she may never climb back in and aviation will become that thing you do without her. Might as well have taken up rugby at that point.
I keep telling the instructors I am not concerned with needing more hours.

My main instructor has told me that I will likely only need low 40's to 45 hours to qualify for my check ride.

One of the other fill in instructors said it takes a average of 70 hours to qualify for the check ride. And then told me I would shatter that because I only had 17.2 hours. Well I had 16.4 at the time.

I have told them both I don't care if it takes more hours. I an not trying to do this as cheap as possible. I am taking the lessons to learn to fly safely not just learn to fly.

I understand that I may not be able to fly when I want all the time. But if I can find a weekend that is nice it would be great to just fly to some city and spend the night there with the wife.

I did my training by driving an hour each way to the airport for a one-hour lesson every week or two. Very inefficient, but it spread the cost out. One day I just wasn't getting it, flustered, lots of dumb fumbling in the cockpit. My instructor had an available hour later in the day and suggested we try again after lunch. That second hour it all clicked for me and I solo'd the next week. Two in one day was what I needed to get over the hump. But it was a grueling day. I can't imagine you are not exhausted and learning less than optimally by flying 4 hours in a day - but if it works for you, go for it :D
The longest I spent in the air was 2.7 hours. That was a four hour block. I have to do the preflight and some paper work and that adds time as well. I have only done one four hour block so far. If I dont think I am getting anything out of it I will stop requesting four hours.

But during that four hours we did several different things. There was only time for 5 landings. The rest was practice on other drills like fires or stalls. So it was not to much of one thing.

Good point thanks

It is amazing the difference in how an instructor teaches you. Some will let you take them to The BRINK before intervening, and that might just be a quiet suggestion as they sit and watch. Um.....a little power right NOW might be a pretty good idea.....😳Others will be grabbing controls away from you when you have no idea what you just did that they didn't like. :mad: :rolleyes: The more experience they have, the less likely they will be grabby. How are you supposed to learn if they won't let you use the stick??? I let my non-pilot friends fly if they want to!

This made me laugh, reminded me of my last CFI. I was having a particulary bad day and had just bounced a landing pretty bad, as I was trying to recover and not get into a pilot induced porpoise she casullay said to me "Curtis, your second touch down in this landing attempt better be smooth". Lol, greased it in and called it a day.

I had the instructor tell me not to pull back so far during a power on stall because we would be required to have parachutes. But the dang plane wouldn't stall.

Last edited:
I did my training by driving an hour each way to the airport for a one-hour lesson every week or two. Very inefficient, but it spread the cost out.
When I first started flying, it was a 15-mile bicycle ride to the airport up on a mesa! Of course, I was completely hooked by then........!

I had the instructor tell me not to pull back so far during a power on stall because we would be required to have parachutes. But the dang plane wouldn't stall.
You need to dump this instructor. He knows not of what he speaks! I got my PPL at 40 hrs. but that was 56 years ago. A lot of things have changed.

1/ There's more to learn now, and 2/ As said before, more instructors tend to stretch out the time and pattern.

Ann got her's in about 60 hrs. She had a marginal instructor in the beginning. She didn't solo until about 20 hrs, and the instructor was at least partially to blame.

You need to dump this instructor. He knows not of what he speaks! I got my PPL at 40 hrs. but that was 56 years ago. A lot of things have changed.

1/ There's more to learn now, and 2/ As said before, more instructors tend to stretch out the time and pattern.

Ann got her's in about 60 hrs. She had a marginal instructor in the beginning. She didn't solo until about 20 hrs, and the instructor was at least partially to blame.
he was the fill in instructor. I only flew with him one time.

The one I have now said I should be ok to solo in about 30 more landings. Not trying to get it done as fast as I can. More interested in learning to do it safely. I can afford more training hours but not a trip to the hospital or morgue.

I had the plane at about 40-45 degrees and it wouldn't stall. I think there was to much head wind.

Time for some more ground school................ :(
......AND some redo of someone's CFI credentials....... :rolleyes: Parachutes needed for a power-on stall???😳😳:cautious: He knows not of what he speaks. And, apparently, does not know how to do power-on stalls that he is attempting to teach. Full power-on stalls in the Cub are laughable! A reduction of power is necessary to get it to break before fuel exhaustion! 😂 Well, and I've heard they don't even DO stalls anymore; just approach to a stall. WHAT???? I guess that means that spins are out-of-the-question. I know those have not been done for decades but................ Dumbing down flight instruction does not seem to be in favor of making better pilots.......:unsure:

I feel fortunate that I learned way back when I did from the instructor I had. He just wanted to teach a few people how to fly and I was one of the lucky ones. He wanted to see what a student could get him into that he would never think of getting in himself! And I had to be on the ragged edge before he jumped in. He was one of those sitting in the back with his arms folded....at least that's what I imagined sitting in the front seat..... Larry? No; you've got this. Lower the nose a smidge so I can breathe again.......:LOL:

Time for some more ground school................ :(
he was the fill in instructor. I only flew with him one time.

The one I have now said I should be ok to solo in about 30 more landings. Not trying to get it done as fast as I can. More interested in learning to do it safely. I can afford more training hours but not a trip to the hospital or morgue.

I had the plane at about 40-45 degrees and it wouldn't stall. I think there was to much head wind.
Wow. I think there is an instructor deficiency here. Is your instructor giving you ground school and a briefing before you fly? Given your last sentence, I would guess not. Find a different instructor.

Four hour instruction blocks are silly; the average person has an attention span of about an hour, give or take. You would be better off to shade two, two hours sessions with a break between them. You will likely get more from the lessons, and the knowledge and skills will be retained.

Good advice on not setting time or hour benchmarks; everyone is different and learning will occur at a different rate. Taking a PPL check ride at 40 hours in today's world is highly unlikely...60-80 hours is more realistic.

Yes, there are definitely "time builder" instructors. As has been posted, they work for you. If you do not feel like you are progressing or you are not gaining knowledge, find a different instructor. It can mean the difference between being successful or not.

If you have nearly 21 hours and haven't soloed, that is fine BUT there is very little chance of getting to the check ride by 40-45 hours.

It sounds as if you have the correct attitude about learning. Keep going, it will be worth it!

After I fly I ask a lot of questions. I write the answers down in a notebook. I go home and try to learn as much as I can about the notes. Then when I go back I review them before I fly.

I have a very good attention span. I can focus on a single task for hours if need be. So much so that I loose track of time. I understand about the long blocks could slow me down. But two time a day is not feasible for me. It must be four hours in the morning of four hours in the evening. I have to have time to work.

And I need to work for at least 8 hours in a stretch. The time of that is just sometime during the day when it is light out. I am doing roofing when not flying and I have to be sure I can make my work weather tight. It is still snowing here at times. Last week we had snow two days. Plus we have rain also. One day of that last week.

I have only done one day of 4 hours. And that turned out to be just over 3 hours in actual time. Of which 2.7 hours was flight time. If it does seem like I am wasting my time I will go back to just 2 hours which is about 1.3 hours of flight time.

My main instructor has told me that I will likely only need low 40's to 45 hours to qualify for my check ride.

One of the other fill in instructors said it takes a average of 70 hours to qualify for the check ride.

This sounds like the difference between "how good it gets when you stick with one instructor" and "how much the flying school makes when they get you to switch instructors."

As others have said, do anything you possibly can to avoid switching instructors. You waste the first half of your lesson bringing the new instructor up to speed with what you know, before you start to learn anything new, and then you have that much less time to practise the new stuff before heading back. It's not just extra time, it's incredibly inefficient and ineffective training. That makes students retain less, and require more flight hours... Which *only* benefits the flight school.

That said, there is benefit in having one or two lessons to see what other instructors are like... But that's it. Stick with the one you get along with the best. You'll learn faster, retain more, and be up there flying with your wife in no time.

Not trying to get it done as fast as I can. More interested in learning to do it safely. I can afford more training hours but not a trip to the hospital or morgue.
There is a difference between learning to do it safely, and milking the student because they're not concerned with how long it takes. Every student should be told that solo in 10-15 hours and license in 45 is achievable. Hearing that the "average" is 70 hours these days just makes me shake my head. It's either the school milking the student, extremely deficient instructors, or students pursuing hobbies that are at the limit (or maybe beyond) their capabilities.

No, there was insufficient angle of attack. :)

After I fly I ask a lot of questions. I write the answers down in a notebook. I go home and try to learn as much as I can about the notes. Then when I go back I review them before I fly.

I have a very good attention span. I can focus on a single task for hours if need be. So much so that I loose track of time. I understand about the long blocks could slow me down. But two time a day is not feasible for me. It must be four hours in the morning of four hours in the evening. I have to have time to work.

And I need to work for at least 8 hours in a stretch. The time of that is just sometime during the day when it is light out. I am doing roofing when not flying and I have to be sure I can make my work weather tight. It is still snowing here at times. Last week we had snow two days. Plus we have rain also. One day of that last week.

I have only done one day of 4 hours. And that turned out to be just over 3 hours in actual time. Of which 2.7 hours was flight time. If it does seem like I am wasting my time I will go back to just 2 hours which is about 1.3 hours of flight time.
You only "think" you have a good attention span.

After nearly 30,000 hours and thousands of hours instructing, I will stand by my statement. You learn the best in the first hour, and the ability to learn decreases quickly after that.

I get that you have to work, and we all have to deal with the weather but flying only in the morning and evening, when the winds are calm is going to create problems, as well.

You learn the best in the first hour, and the ability to learn decreases quickly after that.
Agreed. And, after the 10th or so touch-and-go, the technique starts to diminish. Go do something else!
I get that you have to work, and we all have to deal with the weather but flying only in the morning and evening, when the winds are calm is going to create problems, as well.
Agreed again. The flight school at my home field seems to mostly fly mornings and evenings. The occasional student that goes out and comes back to a sudden crosswind is evident in how many low passes they make trying to figure out what to do... I suppose flying the calm hours initially would be OK; but one needs to experience all conditions you would encounter in your (later) normal flying.

As my Howard DGA friend once said: How do you learn to fly a Howard? Go out and fly every day!

I think I can break up my time once I solo. 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening. And that would be fine with me. But I have to get to the solo stage.

I am use to working for 12-13 hours. My instructor is not. So it is a limiting factor for him. I don't think he wants to fly at 7 AM and then at 7 PM. Maybe by the week end I can get to solo if the weather holds out. Last week I only was able to fly 2 days. Not sure about this week. Looks like a chance of rain Thursday and Friday. So we will see.

Also once I start to solo I think I can switch to 7 days of flying and not 4-5 minus bad weather days.

I do think switching between instructors did slow me down. But I feel it was still worth the hassle since it allowed me to see what each one thought was important. A broader aspect of different issues that one instructor may not have brought up.

I am on tomorrow morning for just 2 hours. Maybe later in the week I can get some longer times. And get to solo latter this week.

Still learning the glass cockpit screens. So much info on there.

Thanks guys for the impute.

It is very calm here in the morning. I asked for some afternoon time because of that. Kind of odd coming in with the up wind wing dipped to compensate for the crosswind while keeping the nose down the runway. Still getting use to that. But yeah I need work on the cross wind landings.

If you can, see if you can just go out and sit in the airplane in the hangar and look at the glass screen. Study the instrument manuals, if they are available (should be), so you know how to work them. There is a LOT of information there and clicking through the different screens while you are not doing anything else will be very helpful. They might even have the glass screens on a computer program you can look at while sitting in a room! If nothing else, the manuals. Bottom line: you need to get familiar with those screens without the distraction of.....what's that called?......oh, yeah: Flying!:D

If you can, see if you can just go out and sit in the airplane in the hangar and look at the glass screen. Study the instrument manuals, if they are available (should be), so you know how to work them. There is a LOT of information there and clicking through the different screens while you are not doing anything else will be very helpful. They might even have the glass screens on a computer program you can look at while sitting in a room! If nothing else, the manuals. Bottom line: you need to get familiar with those screens without the distraction of.....what's that called?......oh, yeah: Flying!:D
During preflight I powered up the screens and took pictures of the screens. So I have all them on my phone. So right now I need to figure out the buttons and dials. The screens I did not get were on the smaller com screen. Still not as sure on that one yet.

I am use to working for 12-13 hours. My instructor is not. So it is a limiting factor for him. I don't think he wants to fly at 7 AM and then at 7 PM.
As a matter of law, instructors are limited to no more than 8 hours of instruction per day(24 hour period).

During preflight I powered up the screens and took pictures of the screens. So I have all them on my phone. So right now I need to figure out the buttons and dials. The screens I did not get were on the smaller com screen. Still not as sure on that one yet.
Your flight school should have manuals for EVERY instrument on that panel! If not, you might be able to download them from the manufacturer and STUDY them, so you know how to run them once you are in the airplane. Learning how to fly the airplane includes learning how to "fly" the instruments! :)

I think I can break up my time once I solo. 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening. And that would be fine with me. But I have to get to the solo stage.

I am use to working for 12-13 hours. My instructor is not. So it is a limiting factor for him. I don't think he wants to fly at 7 AM and then at 7 PM. Maybe by the week end I can get to solo if the weather holds out. Last week I only was able to fly 2 days. Not sure about this week. Looks like a chance of rain Thursday and Friday. So we will see.

Also once I start to solo I think I can switch to 7 days of flying and not 4-5 minus bad weather days.

I do think switching between instructors did slow me down. But I feel it was still worth the hassle since it allowed me to see what each one thought was important. A broader aspect of different issues that one instructor may not have brought up.

I am on tomorrow morning for just 2 hours. Maybe later in the week I can get some longer times. And get to solo latter this week.

Thanks guys for the impute.
I am not sure you understand the process. For example, you say you will increase flying days once you solo. Do you understand that when you solo, it doesn’t mean your instructor is going to just cut you loose. In fact, you will likely be MORE restricted, and the instructor must sign you off for those solo flights based on the prevailing weather at the time, to include ceiling, visibility, AND wind (total and crosswind). Those wind limits are going to be much lower than when he is with you.

As far as working 12-13 hours a day, that’s great. Flying isn’t the same, and there are limits set for a reason.

From your statements, it would seem that you are not getting much groundschool; that is not good. And you cannot figure out the buttons on an EFIS by looking at a photo…that’s not going to happen.

I applaud you for wanting to learn to be safe and take the time needed. It would seem that from some of your statements, that attitude is less than sincere.

There are many people here that have instructed for a long time, they are trying to give you the requested “tips”. Their comments are based on decades of experience. It is worth listening to what they have to say…

When you take your wife up for the first time don’t try to show off
Fly it like you were transporting 30 dozen eggs!
Too many new pilots scare their wives on their first ride and the gals never want to go again.
Show her how careful and competent you are and you’ll have a happy traveling companion

I am not sure you understand the process. For example, you say you will increase flying days once you solo. Do you understand that when you solo, it doesn’t mean your instructor is going to just cut you loose. In fact, you will likely be MORE restricted, and the instructor must sign you off for those solo flights based on the prevailing weather at the time, to include ceiling, visibility, AND wind (total and crosswind). Those wind limits are going to be much lower than when he is with you.

As far as working 12-13 hours a day, that’s great. Flying isn’t the same, and there are limits set for a reason.

From your statements, it would seem that you are not getting much groundschool; that is not good. And you cannot figure out the buttons on an EFIS by looking at a photo…that’s not going to happen.

I applaud you for wanting to learn to be safe and take the time needed. It would seem that from some of your statements, that attitude is less than sincere.

There are many people here that have instructed for a long time, they are trying to give you the requested “tips”. Their comments are based on decades of experience. It is worth listening to what they have to say…
If you think I am less than sincere you are wrong.

I understand that I cannot learn the buttons from looking at a picture. But a picture allows me to familiarize myself with what is on the display. From there I can learn what the buttons do or what is on the screen with further info from online once I am away from flight school. Most of what I have watched on learning videos is on dials and not on glass.

You are right that I don't know what is to happen in flight school. As I have stated above I don't know any pilots so I really don't know what is to happen fully. Hense why I have opened this thread to ask questions.

When you take your wife up for the first time don’t try to show off
Fly it like you were transporting 30 dozen eggs!
Too many new pilots scare their wives on their first ride and the gals never want to go again.
Show her how careful and competent you are and you’ll have a happy traveling companion
I have no intension to hot rod the plane. There are lots of things for her to get pictures of while flying. I am not 20.

Just following the coast up to KMCD has lots of view for her. Plus I will fly around the Mackinaw bridge to get to the island. Even at a distance that thing makes for a great view.

One of my instructors said to keep turns no more than 10 degrees so I don't make my passengers air sick.

Indeed one of the things hardest for passengers to understand is that the plane has to be banked to turn. Banking is not showing off, but it can be perceived that way if they are not ready for it. Don't orbit an area of interest more than once or you will likely have a queasy passenger, and don't make any sudden moves. A good preflight briefing is helpful. It will no longer be needed once she's accustomed to the sensations of small airplane travel.

My conversations with the wife now mostly center on what music to listen to in flight, and waking her up during descent so she can serve as an extra set of eyeballs to spot traffic and birds. She prefers to sleep and loves the reclining seats in the RV-10. This is in part because at 4'-11", she can't see squat out of the plane unless I bank to show her a point of interest. Even the pretty 10" color screen on her side is of little interest except for the DTG and ETE readouts from the GPS. "Just get me there..." Not exactly Amelia Earhart, but at least she's willing to accompany me.

She also claims to be able to sense hypoxia at anything above 8,000', so she will sometimes demand to know how high I've climbed us to in search of performance, smooth air and favorable tailwinds - this in spite of having a digital altimeter on her copilot EFIS. I've realized she isn't asking because she doesn't know, but to remind me that she likes it down low when I've step-climbed to 10,5. Go along to get along, as they say. She's my princess, she tolerated 5 years of airplane building, and part of cherishing her is deference to her wishes as long as they don't compromise safety.

If you do this right, you have a lot of fun ahead of you. Keep plugging away. Stay humble and teachable ;)

Indeed one of the things hardest for passengers to understand is that the plane has to be banked to turn. Banking is not showing off, but it can be perceived that way if they are not ready for it. Don't orbit an area of interest more than once or you will likely have a queasy passenger, and don't make any sudden moves. A good preflight briefing is helpful. It will no longer be needed once she's accustomed to the sensations of small airplane travel.

My conversations with the wife now mostly center on what music to listen to in flight, and waking her up during descent so she can serve as an extra set of eyeballs to spot traffic and birds. She prefers to sleep and loves the reclining seats in the RV-10. This is in part because at 4'-11", she can't see squat out of the plane unless I bank to show her a point of interest. Even the pretty 10" color screen on her side is of little interest except for the DTG and ETE readouts from the GPS. "Just get me there..." Not exactly Amelia Earhart, but at least she's willing to accompany me.

She also claims to be able to sense hypoxia at anything above 8,000', so she will sometimes demand to know how high I've climbed us to in search of performance, smooth air and favorable tailwinds - this in spite of having a digital altimeter on her copilot EFIS. I've realized she isn't asking because she doesn't know, but to remind me that she likes it down low when I've step-climbed to 10,5. Go along to get along, as they say. She's my princess, she tolerated 5 years of airplane building, and part of cherishing her is deference to her wishes as long as they don't compromise safety.

If you do this right, you have a lot of fun ahead of you. Keep plugging away. Stay humble and teachable ;)
I am not learning to fly for the adrenaline. I am learning to fly to spend more time with my wife. To go places we couldn't before. Now that my kids are gone we have more time together.

In my first flight I remember turning when we left the airport and banking at about 15 degrees. It was a little unnerving for me. So I dont think my wife would like it. So no steep banking for her till she has a little more comfort with flying. And still then it will still feel like a shallow bank to a lot of people. And by steep I mean like 15 degrees.

Maybe it is the internet but this statement seems kind of condescending to me. But I could be wrong. I don't know how you came up with that.

I appreciate what I have learned here from the posters. And here is what I have learned so far:

1. More ground school.
2. Try to keep it under 2 hours of flying.
3. Keep my maneuver's slow and controlled with nothing sudden.

So I will work more on studying more. This is easier now that my wife knows.

As for less than 2 hours I will take that into consideration. It was my understanding that by flying more hours I will get less learning from it. But to think that flying more than 1.3 hours is unsafe it certainly not true or no one would be able to use up a full tank of fuel.

I cannot think of a better time to fly more than 1.3 hours than with a flight instructor. I did not intend to do it by myself. I have posted that I could do a 2 hour clock in the morning and a 2 hour block in the evening. As stated by a poster this is the best way to learn. And this is what I plan to do with that posters statement.

And like I stated I am not here to get all crazy with flying. The RV does have touchy controls that I am still getting the hang of. SO with practice that will come.

I have a good/fortunate friend who learned from the same instructor who taught me. He went on to get his commercial and AP/IA and lives aviation. He has 80/87 running in his veins. His dear wife, on the other hand, does NOT like to fly and only does it when she has no choice. I've had her in the Cub several times and it is actually humorous! She HATES turns. So my turns were extra gentle....until it came to being in the pattern. I did wide patterns but one STILL has to turn. All turns in the pattern were FLAT TURNS! She was OK with that! 😂 I guess having her face smashed up against a window was better than that stupid WING coming down!!:LOL::LOL:

I'm a talker when it comes to new passengers. I'm constantly explaining what I am doing or about to do in a nice, regular calm voice. Well, we are just a little high here so I am going to do what is called a slip. That allows us to land where we want to on the runway. It might look like we are flying sideways.......because we ARE! I think talking about things helps new passengers to enjoy something they have never experienced before and helps them to actually enjoy themselves. It takes the mystery out of something that, to them, is pretty mysterious. (It's still pretty mysterious to ME but..........) I have one friend who HATES to fly, even airlines. We were at a gathering at the house and, since everyone else was going up, he decided he HAD to go. He had a ball! It was fun to hear how excited he was in the back seat of SuzieQ. Several days later I get a picture in the mail with him in the back seat and me standing next to the airplane. The frame has MAGIC etched into it!:)♥️

Yes: do that!

“…But to think that flying more than 1.3 hours is unsafe it certainly not true or no one would be able to use up a full tank of fuel.”

Not sure where you came up with that. Flying more than an hour, give or take, in a LEARNING environment results in diminishing returns for the student. Than can lead to longer times required to achieve a rating.

Flying two, two hour blocks a day, with a break between them is a much better plan for learning. Once you achieve the rating, and are flying for fun, fly as much as you want.

I am surprised that the instructor would be willing to do 4 hours blocks at one time, especially with a private pilot candidate.

“…But to think that flying more than 1.3 hours is unsafe it certainly not true or no one would be able to use up a full tank of fuel.”

Not sure where you came up with that. Flying more than an hour, give or take, in a LEARNING environment results in diminishing returns for the student. Than can lead to longer times required to achieve a rating.

Flying two, two hour blocks a day, with a break between them is a much better plan for learning. Once you achieve the rating, and are flying for fun, fly as much as you want.

I am surprised that the instructor would be willing to do 4 hours blocks at one time, especially with a private pilot candidate.
That is what I was trying to say. I understand that flying more than a 2 hour block reduces learning. But during that block I average just 1.3 hours of flight time. During the 4 hour block I still only flew for 2.7 hours.

As for longer hours because of weather one week I flew just once and another week I flew just twice. For a toral of about 4.5 hours in two weeks. Hardly enough time to retain much from those times. I expect the weather to get better this month though.

And if I could fly first thing in the morning and last thing in the day I could do as you said and do two blocks of flying and get about 2.6 hours of flight time per day.

Runway behind you, altitude above you and fuel in the fuel truck do you absolutely no good.

There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old bold pilots.

I got a million of 'em....

I would suggest asking your instructor to fly to as many different airports as you can, both controlled and uncontrolled, while doing air work enroute. I know for me, learning and doing almost all my training from an uncontrolled airport, made it very intimidating flying to a controlled airport. Getting comfortable doing that as well as experiencing different runway lengths and patterns etc makes things much more comfortable when you are turned loose and on your own. FWIW

That is what I was trying to say. I understand that flying more than a 2 hour block reduces learning. But during that block I average just 1.3 hours of flight time. During the 4 hour block I still only flew for 2.7 hours.

As for longer hours because of weather one week I flew just once and another week I flew just twice. For a toral of about 4.5 hours in two weeks. Hardly enough time to retain much from those times. I expect the weather to get better this month though.

And if I could fly first thing in the morning and last thing in the day I could do as you said and do two blocks of flying and get about 2.6 hours of flight time per day.
…and about 1.3 in a two hour block is normal.

You need to get used to banking turns. Flat turns are dangerous. Try turning a bicycle or motorcycle without leaning.

It's a psychological thing. A properly executed turn has no physical effect on the human body except for a slight increase in positive Gs.

Back