What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying my new RV coast to coast!!

When I sold my RV-4 I flew it from Seattle to up state, near Albany New York, in the dead of winter. I had planned flying East across the Dakotas, but a massive arctic front parked across the north central part of the USA... So I did a end run and almost had to go as far as Reno before turning East.... I ended up spending a night in Tonopah Nevada (which is an old Military base near a big restricted area). Tonopah as I said has rich history. The near by town is about half way between Vegas and Reno.

The next stop was near Missouri, the longest day. The third da was into West Virginia. The last day was short, less than 400 miles to up state NY the next day... Total miles was about 3000 (statute) miles. If I could have followed more or less direct it would have been 2400 miles.

THREE AND A HALF DAYS AND FROZE MY BACK OFF. I was only bearable because I put a blanket over me, over my arms, control stick. With the one hot air vent under the corner of the blanket, it made a warm area that was comfortable.. The heater was not going to warm up the whole RV at altitude in winter.

I have a lot of great memories of that trip. Four days is no record, but considering I had to fly an extra 500 miles to South, to go East, not too bad. Miss the old bird.

Last edited:
Crew car

I like that little bit. Wider than MINI :D

205427_1721504070527_1026082126_31434169_4745305_n.jpg

You have to stop in Cynthiana! Just be careful about the "Rolling Hills of Kentucky" if you find yourself under a low ceiling.

Hah..I thought i recognised that airplane..I have poked around under the hood once or twice during its construction..:)

Excellent write-up, even though it's from last year! I used to be stationed at McGuire AFB there in New Jersey. It's been over a decade since I was last in Jersey. I absolutely hated New Jersey at first, but it really grew on me. Like a fungus. :D I loved it there by the time I left. I'd go back but I think I'll stick with Alaska for now. :D I did quite a bit of flying out there too.

I too was stationed at McGuire during the same time period. I was looking at this thread last week. April 1 will be exactly 1 year since I brought Tweety home. (maybe 1 year and a day for leap year). Time flies when you always have something to fix, maintain, or fly the pants off of it!

Cynthiana

It is a little airport usually with the cheapest fuel in the area. Next time try to approach it from north and see how close you get before you see the runway. Last time I visited I was almost over it. The other guy behind overflow the runway.

By the way, do you know if you point your nose north west you will fly over Cincinnati then Indiana? Well, Cynthiana is actually named after Cynthia and Anna Harrison.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your trip. :)

Inspiring.

Have flown a bit of x-c and enjoyed following along on your new experiences. Good for you.

Today I learned that Cynthiana, KY is the home of our heroes from "The Walking Dead" :D

Great trip report, Tony. You are no longer a 100 hour pilot but an experienced 100+ pilot, really good job making that trip by yourself after the checkout. Such a trip is always interesting and makes for lasting memories.

The crew car at Cynthiana was quite an up grade from the old Mercedes I used at Bend Oregon last November. But what the heck, a crew car is a crew car.

Back