What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying around the world in RV : Handler details

CJT

Hi
i was planning to fly around the world in my RV
Could anyone recommend reliable handler(s)
if anyone who had done it, I would like to interact
Thanks

Looks like one listed in 2017 (known of). Brian and Sylvia Foster in an RV10 (UK Based) from the Earthrounders site. A few related to Sling Aircraft USA (Jean D'Assonville) have made the trip a couple times, I believe.

RV9 a few years ago and of course Johansen in the RV4 at least twice. I think there is a book about that. The current situation in the Middle East would be very problematic. The Rutan/Melville flight years ago was done mostly south of the equator to minimize the political issues.
Fuel for the Pacific could be an issue.

3 ½ times for Jon (if I recall correctly).
Eastbound, westbound, over north pole, and turnaround at Antarctica (fuel availability).

CJT,

Get hold of John Koehler. He flew RTW in his RV9a. Look at his site about this RTW adventure and you will find his email. I would put together a bunch of questions before talking with him. Yes, there are handlers and he has contacts. It was interesting to find that the only insurance he could get (at the time) for his RV9a (experimental) was a Lloyds of London, at a hefty down-payment. However, he did receive a big portion back, once he completed the venture.
I spoke with him recently, and he was very insightful.

Good luck,
Paul

CJT,

Get hold of John Koehler. He flew RTW in his RV9a. Look at his site about this RTW adventure and you will find his email. I would put together a bunch of questions before talking with him. Yes, there are handlers and he has contacts. It was interesting to find that the only insurance he could get (at the time) for his RV9a (experimental) was a Lloyds of London, at a hefty down-payment. However, he did receive a big portion back, once he completed the venture.
I spoke with him recently, and he was very insightful.

Good luck,
Paul
Thanks
RV9 a few years ago and of course Johansen in the RV4 at least twice. I think there is a book about that. The current situation in the Middle East would be very problematic. The Rutan/Melville flight years ago was done mostly south of the equator to minimize the political issues.
thanks

Google "just do it" by Ron Siwik. Look for the earthrounders info and you should find a three part?? article by Ron on his round the world in his Bonanza. Ron passed away a few years ago. I have flown all three of Rons airplanes and "helped" build the modified Pitts S1S.
A bit dated but lots of info for prospective earthrounder.

Google "just do it" by Ron Siwik. Look for the earthrounders info and you should find a three part?? article by Ron on his round the world in his Bonanza. Ron passed away a few years ago. I have flown all three of Rons airplanes and "helped" build the modified Pitts S1S.
A bit dated but lots of info for prospective earthrounder.
Thanks

Thanks

I would recommend checking into insurance requirements for European countries before you get too deep. I can’t find anyone willing to insure my RV-7 to comply with EC 785/2004 requirements.
Good luck !
Gary

I can’t find anyone willing to insure my RV-7 to comply with EC 785/2004 requirements
???
Rather weird since I guess all of us flying RVs over the ol'continent are law abiding and insured. Including those on N numbers.
Most of the text of those requirements does not apply to private ops, and third party liabilities lists a minimum insurance of 1,5 million SDRs for all RVs below 1'000kg MTOM, the -10 falling into category 3 requiring a cover of 3 million SDRs.

Once more, quite a few of them RVs have already been flown around the world, so getting the required insurance must not be that hard. When I flew the Pond for a Canada/US visit, I just requested a geographical extension of the existing coverage to include the northern Americas for the time period of the Tour.

???
Rather weird since I guess all of us flying RVs over the ol'continent are law abiding and insured. Including those on N numbers.
Most of the text of those requirements does not apply to private ops, and third party liabilities lists a minimum insurance of 1,5 million SDRs for all RVs below 1'000kg MTOM, the -10 falling into category 3 requiring a cover of 3 million SDRs.

Once more, quite a few of them RVs have already been flown around the world, so getting the required insurance must not be that hard. When I flew the Pond for a Canada/US visit, I just requested a geographical extension of the existing coverage to include the northern Americas for the time period of the Tour.
Hi Dan,
From my understanding, the insurance market has changed about 2 years ago regarding international ops. My current agent told me at OSH last year that a 4 week policy would be a 5 figure amount. OUCH !!! 1.5 million SDR=about 2 million USD. An amount that insurance companies do not seem to want to write on a U.S. registered experimental. I guess sponsorship could ease the pain.

Hi Dan,
From my understanding, the insurance market has changed about 2 years ago regarding international ops. My current agent told me at OSH last year that a 4 week policy would be a 5 figure amount. OUCH !!! 1.5 million SDR=about 2 million USD. An amount that insurance companies do not seem to want to write on a U.S. registered experimental. I guess sponsorship could ease the pain.
😱

about 2 million USD. An amount that insurance companies do not seem to want to write on a U.S. registered experimental
This is crazy, and still weird. As stated above, quite a few N registered RVs are based and flying here in Europe. I have myself access to a Panther LSE which is US registered, and I sure know the insurance not being that expensive, though gotta verify with the owner...

This is crazy, and still weird. As stated above, quite a few N registered RVs are based and flying here in Europe. I have myself access to a Panther LSE which is US registered, and I sure know the insurance not being that expensive, though gotta verify with the owner...
I had a talk with Sam Rutherford (Zara and Mack’s father) last fall and he has found no rhyme or reason for the differences in insurance costs. He said some have gotten worldwide coverage for $1.200, and others , like me, quoted 10,000, for a month to Europe and back.

Bill Harrelson flew his Lancair 4 around the world via poles in 2014. He set a world record for speed around the world westbound in 2019. The previous record was set by Max Conrad in 1961.
This is of course a different weight category than RV's.

Just for the record, I think Jon Johanson flew his RV 3 over both poles. I sold my RV 7A to a fellow in Australia and Jon came here to inspect it. He then flew it to Australia. We visited with him for a few days before he left and he told us of his polar crossings at that time. Quite at adventure, especially the South Pole.

Back