What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fly-Away Kit/Innertubes

Kyle Boatright

Well Known Member
I've seen tales of (and know people who've suffered through) failed tubes causing an AOG event, so I ordered extra tubes the other day for the -10's fly-away kit. Worst thing ever is to be AOG in nowhereville with a spare tube a day or three away. The 5.00x5 tube may be overkill (that's a common size) but the 15/6.00-6 on the -10's mains is a bit of an odd duck - the shop at most GA fields isn't likely to have one on-hand.

Anyone else carry extra tubes as part of the "away from home" support equipment?

Tubes

Yes. I am making up a set of spare wheel assemblies.. and taking a whole wheel ready to go could be an option too if weight isn’t critical.

I’ve carried a can of emergency sealer and inflator around in my toolbag/travel kit for 16 years. Never had an issue thankfully. Maybe that’s another option?

Interested if someone has a learned opinion regarding the can of fix a flat. I’m skeptical about it working on an inner tube tire, but I definitely don’t know.

I am planning at least to carry a bicycle inner tube repair kit, ie little patches, a tiny piece of sandpaper, and a very small tube of glue, plus one of those very small bicycle emergency pumps, and very important, a JACK. Also required are tools to remove the wheel, and split the rims. There are a few creative solutions to the rim splitting on this board somewhere.

6A , odd tube size is nose. Yep, once bitten, twice shy. I carry one, a tube patch kit as well. On fix-a-flat, it Doesn’t work from my experience with tubes/my 6A. If hole is tiny, in tread area MAYBE it would work… otherwise just a mess to clean….. leaks out in wheel. YMMV

On my 7 I installed the CMW jack system for emergencies. Works great to get the wheel off the ground with a 7/16" wrench or socket. I also carry the tools, spare tube, talc and a small air compressor bought on Amazon in case of a flat. Not too much weight and I would be able to do the repair without requiring help.

Comes in Handy...

Yes. I keep a nose and main tube for my 7a. Patch kit. spark plugs. Brake pads, rivets, seals, fluid, pump, jack and tools. They have come in handy more than once. Makes a real bummer just an hour bump in the road...

I carry a full tube patch kit in each plane for problems on the road. a properly installed patch will last a long time. Back before tubeless tires on cars, small punctures in tubes were patched and not replaced. they have a good history of success. Modern shops will no longer plug or patch tires, but that is not because they don't work effectively.

Interested if someone has a learned opinion regarding the can of fix a flat. I’m skeptical about it working on an inner tube tire, but I definitely don’t know.

Fix-a-flat can be problematic. If you have injected it into the tire, then go fly, remember that the liquid all flows down to the bottom of the tire. When you land, expect a HORRIBLY out-of-balance tire at the moment of tire spin-up.
I won't use it.

Tubes

Yep, travel box has one tube of each size plus a bunch of other hard to find RV items.

Flats

Just for reference we had two RV6As have flats going to Reno this fall. I gave my new tube to my buddy, he paid $200.00 for labor to have his fixed and both of us got 3 nights free hangar. I had my flat on a busy taxiway and had to be towed on a dolly, new tire, tube and labor, $699.00.

On my 7 I installed the CMW jack system for emergencies. Works great to get the wheel off the ground with a 7/16" wrench or socket. I also carry the tools, spare tube, talc and a small air compressor bought on Amazon in case of a flat. Not too much weight and I would be able to do the repair without requiring help.

A great solution indeed! (Thank you) But unfortunately not available for the -10 of the OP.

CMW, spare Michelin Airstop, CO2 inflator kit, various air chucks to connect to shop air/air tank.

Nose tire tubes

I buy spare nose wheel tubes at Tractor Supply, $5.00. I had 3 of them, I’ve given 2 of them to pilots with flat nose tires and both made it home to replace with maybe something better. It is a cheap alternative and made in Mexico just like the aviation tubes.

Away Kit

Something to consider about your kit . Do your regular maintenance with it … you’ll soon find out if you need to add or subtract tools and accessories to it .
Extra fuel cap and quick drains are something to consider too .

+1 CMW E-Lift and doing maintence with away kit

I may have been the encouragement for Scott at CMW to design the E-Lift. I though having it would insure no more flats. Unfortunately I had a main gear flat at KOSH '22 and the repair team was impressed with the E-Lift - and glad they did not have to use the strong back method to get the tire off!

I also had a main gear flat at KSAV in the spring on our way to SUNnFUN. I used my CMW E-Lift and my fly away tool kit to repair the flat including inflating the tube in less time than it took for Sheltair to loan me a compressor.

(Yes this is not applicable to the OP, and this is posted in the general discussion section.)

Good suggestion from g_zero to use your fly away tool kit for maintence.

Regards,

Yes, I'm reviving an old thread here...

I was going through some old stuff from the previous owner of my airplane. Found a spare inner tube for the nosewheel, but the rubber was deteriorating/cracked. It went straight to the trash.

However, it got me wondering... how do you all plan to ensure the spare inner tube in the fly-away kit remains in good condition, and doesn't deteriorate like this one?

Good tires (Michelin/GY), Michelin airstop tubes, with 40-50psi, and you'll likely never have another flat.
Cheap tubes/low pressure account for 98% of flats, the other 2% is incorrect installation.

I was going through some old stuff from the previous owner of my airplane. Found a spare inner tube for the nosewheel, but the rubber was deteriorating/cracked. It went straight to the trash.

However, it got me wondering... how do you all plan to ensure the spare inner tube in the fly-away kit remains in good condition, and doesn't deteriorate like this one?
Keep it out of direct sunlight and away from too much heat. If I am staying local, it stays in the hangar because of that. When I travel, the box is at the bottom behind the seat. If I need to get it, just pull the seat forward and you can reach the box of parts.

I use the spare tube when changing tires and put a new tube in the spare kit to keep it fresh. The tube is in my tool bag in the back out of the sun.

As soon as I bought a spare inner tube to keep in the airplane for emergencies, I inflated it just enough to get it round and get the wrinkles out. I put it in a plastic bag and it stays on the rear baggage shelf of the RV-8.

I don't like leaving them folded up for a long period of time.

Last edited:
Back