What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"Flipping the Canoe"

Surfdoc

Looking to those that have come before... I am at the point of flipping the fuse. I have limited help, almost none. Any advise as to how to roll it off the horses and onto a cradle which I constructed much shorter the the horses. I realize this sounds like a silly question just seeking guidance so as not to drop the thing.

Looking to those that have come before... I am at the point of flipping the fuse. I have limited help, almost none. Any advise as to how to roll it off the horses and onto a cradle which I constructed much shorter the the horses. I realize this sounds like a silly question just seeking guidance so as not to drop the thing.

To your question.

1. Get plenty blankets to protect it
2. Try to get the cradle at the same height
3. Gently lift the forward section over to the slings/cradles
4. Then the aft section
5. "FLIP" it while in the cradle, again, with LOTS of protective blankets.

But ...

This, and attaching the wings is definitely something worth have a few extra helping hands to complete.

It is your project and I am sure that you know this but **I** would wait until I could find SOMEONE to be there with me to assist. One little slip and you have ruined a LOT.

Someone in the area, please reach out and offer a little assistance here with this special occasion.

I flipped my 7 fuse with three people. It was stressful and surprisingly heavy when being manhandled slowly and with care. It’s definitely worth bribing friends / family / neighbours, even if just to reposition trestles / cradle etc.

flipped my -4 fuse with my ex-wife... I remember that flipping not the wife, but the canoe was easy peasy as it was much lighter than anticipated :)

Looks like u're building a -9, so yes it'll be more cumbersome and heavier. As others mentioned, get some help!

It’s probably a two person job unless you can roll it onto the cradle. Same height would be required. Better yet, ask anybody to help!

I had my fuse on sawhorses before and after the flip. I too was worried about it but it turned out to be a non-event. You will need some help though. I had my girl friend help me. She isn't strong so strength isn't required. You just need one person at each end. We basically slid it to the edge of the sawhorses and then rolled it over onto the side. Then we repositioned and rolled it again. It took about 5 minutes total. Don't overthink it, but have a plan and it will be fine. You need two people though just to keep it positioned properly.

Similar to others opinions here, I would not even consider doing this solo. Surely there is an EAA buddy, neighbor, friend, family member, high school kid, spouse, temp labor guy - something. My first project fuselage fell on its tail end while I was trying to install the gear legs (manipulating the fuse by hand, solo) and I would MUCH rather not ever have to fix a completed fuselage again. I now only lift the major components with a hoist or a second human.

I saw you were in Port Orange so am willing to give you a hand.
I am in Edgewater and fly out of Massey.
It looks like you are out of Spruce Creek.
Can't imagine there aren't 100 people standing under the Oak tree on a Friday night or Saturday morning that would love to help.

Hit me up as I have time Saturday if you want help.

Thank you all for the ideas. MarkW... beautiful airplane! I may ask just to come see it. Schedule is rough with an 8 month old..

Flipping the canoe

Assuming the Aft Deck is riveted, the fuse is "locked" into it's final position. Here's another option...
Build a rotisserie. Secure the forward end to the rotisserie. The aft end usually rotates on a simple pipe arrangement. Easy to adjust up an down. Once it's bolted up. Remove the supports and Build On!
I loved my rotisserie so much, I wouldn't pass it on. Best thing since sliced bread.

Hoist

We flipped the fuselage with two people and an engine hoist.

Attachments

• 20211029_133332.jpg
    20211029_133332.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 102
Rotisserie

Plus ONE on the rotisserie.

It has been so nice to rotate the fuselage with the pull of a pin and no help.

I am building a 10 and have installed all control systems and the canopy and doors, etc with the fuselage switching sides probably hundreds of times.

Andy

I think those of us who walk out to a garage or hanger workshop many times per week probably completely underestimate just how amazing this endeavor is. I'm still working in my garage, and on warm summer days the garage door is open all the time and the number of people who stop by warms my heart.

I guarantee there are some people nearby who would treasure the chance to be part of your build. Promise them a ride when it's done. You cannot imagine how inspiring your project it to the world.

One thing I did early on was to hang up that three-view drawing from the plans and ANYONE who touched the build FOR ANY REASON has been invited to sign it as an official helper.

If you build it, they will come.

Help

I think those of us who walk out to a garage or hanger workshop many times per week probably completely underestimate just how amazing this endeavor is. I'm still working in my garage, and on warm summer days the garage door is open all the time and the number of people who stop by warms my heart.

I guarantee there are some people nearby who would treasure the chance to be part of your build. Promise them a ride when it's done. You cannot imagine how inspiring your project it to the world.

One thing I did early on was to hang up that three-view drawing from the plans and ANYONE who touched the build FOR ANY REASON has been invited to sign it as an official helper.

If you build it, they will come.

Living in the mountains, I don't see visitors much.
I had one neighbor/friend who came over almost every day and helped a lot. They sold and moved. Made me so sad.
Another neighbor just wanted to watch. He actually brought his own chair. :D

Then there's the one who stops to look and says, "I'm not riding in that thing!" Funny, I don't recall asking. :D

I did this. Relatively easy to rotate by myself and very solid. The one con is you need more floor space to rotate than you would with a rotisserie. It was very nice to rotate inverted and work off a stool under panel. I was able to redo the front frame to lower it for doing the canopy fairing as well.
20230109_150952.jpeg

20231110_175647.jpeg

It can be a one person job with an engine hoist and an adapter bolted to the firewall.

https://eaabuilderslog.org/showmy.p...=f&f=DFFF913B-AC97-4BA8-BCF8-4E0C78F47901.png

I sure thought this thread was going a different direction.

A dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Build a rotisserie. Then you can roll it as often as needed.

My first build did not have one. My second build which I’m on does.

I rotate it often to 45 or 90 degrees to keep from leaning over and protect my back. The only time I’ve ever hurt my back was when I strained it on build numero uno and I was 15 years younger. A great example when rotation is helpful is while wiring.

I looked and was surprised there wasn’t a show us your rotisserie thread.

Last edited:
Show us your rotisserie

It has been so nice to rotate the fuselage with the pull of a pin and no help.

I am building a 10 and have installed all control systems and the canopy and doors, etc with the fuselage switching sides probably hundreds of times.

I looked and was surprised there wasn’t a show us your rotisserie thread.

So… show us your rotisserie!

A couple of cheap engine stands you can order on line and a few boards or in my case some welding and you’re good to go.

I recommend swivel casters with brakes. It makes it much easier to move it around. My aft stand has the swivels.

The time spent to build will save you time and frustration later.

Attachments

• IMG_0931.jpg
    IMG_0931.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_6029.jpg
    IMG_6029.jpg
    670.1 KB · Views: 59
I sure thought this thread was going a different direction.

A dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Especially when Dan started mentioning canoes and ex wifes..... :D

I second the sawhorse-and-rolling strategy though. Done it several times when building the Jodel, which structurally really is nothing more than a wooden RV... And after doing it a couple of time I figured out I could actually easily do it by myself. Even though a rotissery of course would also have been nice...

Last edited:
Back