What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flight medicine when things go bump in the night

I wanted to offer up an alternative to working through an AME when a medical condition arises that necessitates a waiver or some sort of blessing from the FAA. I have crohns disease, and I work for the FAA as a planner, and wanted to offer an alternative that involves the "airman certification analysts" that work for the medical arm of the FAA, in the Regional Offices.

I always thought that the AME was the only pathway to communicate with the FAA for illness. And for some conditions, that will be the case. For others, there is a process where a pilot grounds themselves, and works out a plan with the FAA to get themselves back in the air, while keeping their AME in the loop. The key individual in this process is the analyst. I'll tell a story that illustrates this process.

My friend, that works for a major carrier, finds out during a physical that he has prostate cancer. It's treatable, but he can't fly during the treatment. Instead of only working through his AME, he contacts a airman certification analyst in the Region that services his medical. He comes up with a plan where he ground himself while he's in treatment. He's vetted this plan with the AME and the FAA, which basically says he's not going to fly until he gets the treatment, and has a clean bill of health from his GP, oncologist, and the AME.

He gets the ratioactive pellets, is cured and has the documentation he said he was going to get, and submits that to the FAA, who agrees with his conclusion and allows him to put himself back on flying status. Not every condition can go this route, but for those that can, it can work well because there is a measure of control by the pilot, who's not always waiting for the AME to submit, etc. And besides, the if the AME submits the package to the FAA, the airman certification analyst will work it anyways. The benefit is that if you bring your original documentation to an analyst...and they will meet with you...then they can tell you the best way to document your plan, and where the flags are, so you have a better chance of getting the results you want sooner.

This is just my opinion, from my experiences dealing with a chronic disease and flying status.

puzzling.

The AOPA has taken a course of action to stay in business that requires some marketing and services that were not historically present. It seems though, that the existence of these analysts would have been brought to the attention of pilots in general. It may compete with the medical advice services offered by AOPA, and that is why it might be new news to some here. It is certainly something I have never heard of before.
I hope it works as designed, and helps some pilots regain their privileges in a timely manner.

In my ongoing "journey" with the aeromedical folks, the AME is pretty much on the sideline. His job is a postman, as far as I'm concerned.

Everything I do, I do directly through the regional Aeromedical office now, although you still need someone to make you pee in a cup from time to time.

I got really interesting advice from AOPA medical recently when quizzing about some BPV (positional vertigo, as opposed to Meniere's, in my case) on the question of when and what to tell the FAA.

"First," they said, don't fly Pilot in Command, "then you don't have to tell the FAA anything."

"The FAA doesn't want to hear from you until you want to fly PIC," he said.

"So when should I tell them stuff?" I asked.

"When you're better," he said.

Of course, even if you go this route, they're still going to pull your medical and ground you for some conditions until you've been symptom free for six months. And at that time, they're probably going to require a thorough medical exam. But, as you point out, not always.

This method, by the way, is also a good example of why there shouldn't be Third Class Medicals. Pilots monitor themselves.

Prostate Cancer Diagnosis

I have searched the forums and most of the information is old.

What about if you have a prostate diagnosis but it is not enough to require any sort of treatment? Gleason score of 6 and PSA of 5. Just active monitoring?

And if the no medical requirements passes...then what?

Suggestions or comments???

Back