What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F1 non QB?

It's known as a Harmon Rocket II. Basically you start with a -4 kit (or -8 now?) and exclude certain parts from the order, buying replacements from Harmon. It is how the Rocket designs originated.

I read somewhere that the wing on the F1 Rocket would not be slow built because it has wing twist.

I've seen the HRII. There were a couple things on the F1 that I wanted, also I thought the parts on the F1 would require less fiting.

If you REALLY want a F1 parts kit, Mark will probably order one for you. I know of at least one F1 that was built that way. Understand, that there's no construction manual to go with it. If you've built an RV before, it's not a giant deal but it would be a headache.

BTW, the EVO wings have a slight twist in them at the tip, but the regular hershey bar wing does not.

Don't even get me started on the differences between a Harmon and a F1. They are not even close to being the same.

I have been considering a Evo for some time and have read all the reports.
Does it really stall slower than a RV8? Aerobatic? This sounds too good to be true, so other than price what is the downfall?

I'm building an EVO right now. Yes, the EVO stalls slower than an RV-8, and it has a higher cruise speed than a F1 with the standard wing. The slower stall speed is attributable to the slotted flap design and wing twist. The wing is a complicated design and is constructed completed by HPA in jigs, so builing one yourself is not an option.

Cost and insurance are the only downsides as far as I'm concerned. You can go very fast if you want. You can fly very fuel efficient if you want, and you can show off if you want. :D

But man, I admit that it's an expensive kit to buy.

f1rocket said:
Don't even get me started on the differences between a Harmon and a F1. They are not even close to being the same.

Randy

Can you think of any two planes that come from different factories that are more alike than an F1 and a HRII, I can't? Don't worry, I'm not trying to start an F1 vs HRII war. I like both Mark and John, and I love both planes. That EVO wing looks great and that long windshield on the F1 is tough looking.

I've done the matched hole RV thing already and wanted to actually build more of my next plane, so that's why I'm building an HRII now.

AndrewT said:
I've seen the HRII. There were a couple things on the F1 that I wanted, also I thought the parts on the F1 would require less fiting.

Andrew, I'm not sure what things you like about the F1, maybe the canopy or the cowling? There are a few HRII with many F1 parts on them. In fact I think there is a good website out there with an HRII that has some F1 parts. You should be able to do most of the F1 mods on an HRII except the EVO wings. You of course would have to build all of it. :D

Last edited:
f1rocket said:
Clear....... Contact.....rump...rump..rump rump RRRRRrrrraaaaaa, Starting Randy up. Please tell us the difference I would like to know. Thanks George :eek:

Last edited:
I don't have anything bad to say about the Harmons. They are great planes too. But there are significant engineering differences between the two airframes. That doesn't necessarily make one superior over the other, just different.

Just because they look the same doesn't mean anything. To me, a Porsche and a VW look the same, and they are built by the same company, but I know they're not. Just in general terms, the F1 airframe was designed from the ground up with thicker skins, joggled joints, and is beefier all around. It is designed to handle the IO-540 and the speeds it generates.

I like most, if not all airplanes and I love all Rockets (F1, Harmon, RV-8, etc). All are different ways to get to the same place and offer lower cost airframe alternatives than the F1.

Comparing VW to Porsche is more like SR-71 to a V35S, the only thing they share is the air they fly in.
The Harmon v F1 are so close only arguments come from who thinks he has a better engineer or it LOOKS better so it must be better.
If you put both side by side in a competition only the pilot will make the difference, g for g, turn for turn etc, etc.,
I have heard this coffee shop talk for 30 years and I guess it will be going on for 30 more years.
I started racing VW's offroad/sand draging in the 60's and on to building Porsche's for the Bond family (Road and Track Magazine)in the 70's, since then I only play with airplane's. Oh, I own a Harmon,Riley Rocket, clipwing T-Cart, standard T-Cart, Aero Commander and Betsy a Turbo Charged Maule my true love, she can do things in her sleep that would make harmon's/f1's be proud just to hanger with her.
I may purchase a F1 kit ONLY because I want a fast build kit NO other reason. I would rather pay someone else to do the no brain-er stuff. :eek:

Back