What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-772 fwd bottom skin overlap

FlyGuy65

Well Known Member
I understand the concept of having the skins overlap in a shingle type manner, allowing liquids to flow top to bottom, fwd to aft, and not enter the fuselage. However,...

The forward bottom skin F-772 would seem to fit much better being on the outside, not tucked into the side skins. Tucking it in creates a gap at the firewall where the side skins have to go outward to accommodate the bottom skin, as well as some poor fitting at the lower longeron/F-902 bulkhead area. Thoughts/comment from those further along? Plans are somewhat confusing (to me) as some drawings have parts omitted for clarity.

Thanks!

I understand the concept of having the skins overlap in a shingle type manner, allowing liquids to flow top to bottom, fwd to aft, and not enter the fuselage. However,...

The forward bottom skin F-772 would seem to fit much better being on the outside, not tucked into the side skins. Tucking it in creates a gap at the firewall where the side skins have to go outward to accommodate the bottom skin, as well as some poor fitting at the lower longeron/F-902 bulkhead area. Thoughts/comment from those further along? Plans are somewhat confusing (to me) as some drawings have parts omitted for clarity.

Thanks!
Take a peek at drawing 28.

If you look at the side view, it shows 772 as a hidden line, which implies that 772 is under the 770 side skin.

Thanks for raising this question. Guess what step I’m at? 😂

Good luck continuing your build and thanks again.

Take a peek at drawing 28.

If you look at the side view, it shows 772 as a hidden line, which implies that 772 is under the 770 side skin.

Thanks for raising this question. Guess what step I’m at? 😂

Good luck continuing your build and thanks again.
I was convinced it went on the outside, then stumbled across that drawing. Then this afternoon I came across this: https://vansairforce.net/threads/rv-7a-kit-for-sale.225648/
(Classifieds, Rv-7a kit for sale if the link doesn't work). Fuselage pic clearly shows the bottom skin riveted on the outside. Now I'm just confused again!

I was convinced it went on the outside, then stumbled across that drawing. Then this afternoon I came across this: https://vansairforce.net/threads/rv-7a-kit-for-sale.225648/
(Classifieds, Rv-7a kit for sale if the link doesn't work). Fuselage pic clearly shows the bottom skin riveted on the outside. Now I'm just confused again!

Thin plastic cutting board to help it slide.

image.jpg
Manageable gap that will probably close up nicely when fastened. A little gooey stuff to seal firewall gap.

Good to go!

Hope this helps you!

image.jpg

Back