What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhuast tip security question ?

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
Turn down exhaust tips have a split to allow HOSE CLAMPS to secure the tip to to the header pipe. This worked very well for 250 hours on my last project. That said, there is nothing ABSOLUTE about the reliability considering expansion , vibration etc.
I have pondered options like a SS Rivet in addition to the hose clamp, but an intrusion in the exhaust flow seems theoretically negative.
Your ideas and experience are welcome.

Turn down exhaust tips have a split to allow HOSE CLAMPS to secure the tip to to the header pipe. This worked very well for 250 hours on my last project. That said, there is nothing ABSOLUTE about the reliability considering expansion , vibration etc.
I have pondered options like a SS Rivet in addition to the hose clamp, but an intrusion in the exhaust flow seems theoretically negative.
Your ideas and experience are welcome.
SS pull rivets was what I did, were still there when the Baby was sold hundreds of hrs later . Worked great!

My turn-downs came with mounting screws, held on with metal locking nuts. I lost the the screws after removing them for the last races, and now need to find proper length replacements...but here's a couple photos. The aluminum spacer is just some added stiffening for my dual 3 into 1 exhaust. I don't think there is a flow issue for exhaust from the screw tails and nuts...perhaps it makes a nice swirl to enhance my airshow smokeI I'm the trail guy in the last photo. ;)

Cheers,
Bob

IMG_3770.jpeg

IMG_3772.jpeg

IMG_7421.JPEG

My turn-downs came with mounting screws, held on with metal locking nuts. I lost the the screws after removing them for the last races, and now need to find proper length replacements...but here's a couple photos. The aluminum spacer is just some added stiffening for my dual 3 into 1 exhaust. I don't think there is a flow issue for exhaust from the screw tails and nuts...perhaps it makes a nice swirl to enhance my airshow smokeI I'm the trail guy in the last photo. ;)

Cheers,
Bob

View attachment 60000

View attachment 60001

View attachment 60003
My TIG welder would make quick work of that problem. FIXIT

If I didn't have a reason to remove them (like racing ;-). I'd pull the exhaust, find my local refinery welder, and have him glue them on permanent. I'd also cut off the slip over portion to reduce a few ounces hanging that far from the support. Might reduce later cracking upstream.

Vetterman sells turndown extensions and straight extensions. I didn't have any belly skin cracks but wanted to reduce the floor vibration. I already had the turndown exhaust, but they were short. So Clint at Vetterman's sent me two short, straight extensions. They are each attached by one bolt. Hint: Put the bolt in per the instructions so the bolt is pointed toward the center of the airplane and not visible to a bystander standing next to the airplane (not like I did).

i-FdnrsLm-L.jpg
i-dmrKFRw-L.jpg

And the instructions:

i-cBQQXrp-XL.jpg

Which problem? I could weld the turn downs on...but want to be able to pull them. Like John Milner pulling his header caps off of the Duece Coupe for the big race with Falfa...name that movie! ;)

Cheers,
Bob
Oh ya like on my 64 Ford Falcon Sprint with a 427 tripower straight axle front end and fender well exit headers. Neat car and fast.

Back