What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust staining?

cfiidon

Well Known Member
I'd like to continue learning about engines and diagnosing problems. I am used to seeing white staining near an exhaust gasket, but what about this reddish/pinkish staining. Is this a leak from a crack?

Attachments

• Cyl 4.JPG
    Cyl 4.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 207
Not enough detail in the picture to be absolutely sure but it Looks like both intake and exhaust gaskets were leaking.

Leak

Check that the exhaust pipe flange is flat. Check that the exhaust seats against the cylinder without gaskets. More recent exhausts have slip joints quite close to the cylinders which allows the pipe to fit tighter to the cylinder.
Blow proof gaskets should be used. Ne lock washers if the star type is used. Snug up the pipes to all the cylinders and then torque to final spec.
It appears that for the reasons above the pipe was not fitting the cylinder properly.
Torqueing a poor fitting pipe will probably result in cracks at or near the weld to the flange.

dont think I have ever seen pink deposits from combustion. Usually shades of white, grey and beige. If it were coming from a leaking exhaust gasket, the deposits would also be on the flange as a tell tale. Just look at your intake flange and it is very obvious where the gasket has failed. THese are classic tell tales of leaking gaskets.

Larry

Back