What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Erratic fuel pressure, carb, part 2

rjcthree

Well Known Member
This is long, there’s a lot to digest.

I’ve got to go back down the erratic fuel pressure rabbit hole. Something changed on my airplane, and I believe it needs to be explained. I understand and have read a lot of history on this topic, but I don’t see much root cause confirmation in those threads, and those that are there seem to point to early onset of vapor lock and do not close out with resolutions – other than fly it and see what happens, because the carb only needs 0.5 psi of pressure and modestly high pressure (<10 psi) doesn’t seem to matter – the engine stays happy. I get it, but I can see something changed, so ‘it’s just is like that’ is hard for me to accept.

Aircraft details: RV-9A, 250TT, O-320-H2AD, dual electronic ignition, 4SPA carb, fuel selector, boost pump and collator in the typical locations. The engine driven fuel pump is unique on the H2 being left top of the engine. Fuel pressure is monitored by a Kavlico three-wire sensor to a Dynon D180. It burns 100LL exclusively with a smidge of MMO. The collator has a shroud and blast tube. All fuel lines are fire sleeved and everything that can see radiant heat input of significance is also reflective sleeved over the top of fire sleeve.
30 hours ago the fuel distribution was changed from and Ellison -4 to the carb. At that time, the erratic fuel pressure was the first indication of trouble. I sought guidance from this forum then. During that investigation, the Ellison was found to have faults requiring repair, and the lack of support drove the change to a carb. At that time of those issues, the fuel pressure variation was confirmed - kinda. The mechanical parallel gauge temporarily installed was fluid-damped, but it did see sufficient variation during ground running to highlight something going on. In an attempt to clear the board, the Kavlico sensor was replaced, this did not change the pressure behavior. I have not been able to induce any variation by messing with wires, confirming grounds, checking power, etc. The engine driven fuel pump was changed at that time, for the same reason. For the next 30 hours flying with the freshly OH’d 4SPA, all was well, fuel pressure exhibited nominal, expected and stable readings, until 8/5.

In the chart there are two flights, to the left of the yellow vertical line is considered ‘normal’ and starts mid-flight, including a landing and takeoff in the middle. To the right of the yellow line is the suspect flight. The furball that is fuel pressure (scale is in psi on the left axis) on the 8/5 flight is quite obviously different than the 7/30 flight. RPM is provided as an indicator of fuel demand, scale in rpm is on the right axis. OAT of both flights ranged from 66F to 73F. Cruise speed was >120kt IAS. The data is right off the Dynon, three second intervals. The boost pump is on almost the entire time (I run that way). I did turn the boost pump off during the suspect flight on 8/5 to see what would happen; in the 15 or so seconds I watched, my impression was the variation got visibly greater with boost pump off, but I can’t pick that out of the data. I changed tanks about halfway into the flight, the behavior did not change. As part of first troubleshooting, I completed a ground runup on 8/6, engine ‘cold’, OAT 75F. Prior to the runup, the cowling was removed, and the fuel system was purged through the primer lines (~16oz run through), no air was observed in the purge. During the runup, the oil temp reached a high of 96F. The runup replicated fuel pressure variation shown with medium fuel demand, varying between 5.4 psi and 2.6 psi. I’m using this finding to generally rule out pure heat-induced vapor lock as the singular root cause, as the engine was not hot and the entire engine was exposed to turbulent cooling air.

I have not checked the vent screens, but I recently cap level filled the tanks (oops) and got puddles on the floor, so I believe them to be flowing tank to vent.
My plan is to install a new 0-10 psi undamped mechanical gauge in such a way to make it flight worthy. I’m not sure I will fly with it, but I want to know I can if required. I assume it will confirm the variation. Once that happens? I really don’t know. I’m considering replumbing, as I pick up fuel pressure at the mech pump outlet fitting, maybe moving that to teeing off the carb elbow. I don’t have any proof plumbing is part of the problem, but I know I have 90 deg fittings in the fuel path (qty 4 between the collator and the carb). I don’t think that makes my setup unique.

A theory I’m considering is that there may be a loose enough fitting somewhere pulling in some air, probably downstream of the fuel selector but before the boost pump itself. This should be the only place that fuel is not under pressure (I run boost pump 99% of the time). I don’t recall hearing the boost pump barking like it does when it gets air though, but that is not conclusive. Air introduced there would cause some chaos in the mech fuel pump as it moves downstream. I just can’t wrap my head around how that changed over time. I’ll do the clean towel fuel stain fitting search anyway.

A complication that may be aligned to the theory above: I have an Ellison-based habit where I shut fuel off before shutting the engine off by a few seconds (5-10 seconds) at idle. I usually see the fuel pressure drop to below 2 psi when I do it. With the Ellison, it resulted in less post-running fuel drain. Maybe this is pulling air in on the inlet side of the pump? If so, it could be pulled in anywhere between the selector and engine driven pump. I know I did this process at the end of the 7/30 flight, but I do it on most flights so it’s not new per se.

I also see some blue staining on the seam of the carb bowl to body, no evidence of dripping, but it seems that’s a common thing on OH’d carbs that needs to be snugged. I don’t think this is related, but I will take care of it.

I’d appreciate input and thoughts.

Attachments

• image001.png
    image001.png
    121.7 KB · Views: 87
Could this be pulling air?

This is hose between the selector and boost pump. This fitting is at the pump. Maybe pulling air? It’s an old Bonaco with the vinyl sleeve. I think Tom is going to make something new or I’ll bend a solid tube. It doesn’t smell fuel-ish on the outside.

Attachments

• IMG_5785.jpg
    IMG_5785.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 67
chart shows a pretty significant change in behavior across the two flights. Seems quite unlikely that between the two flights a fitting became loose enough to cause this, assuming you didn't do any maintenance to it. Something has happened, but tough to guess what it was. The fuel pump would be high on my suspect list, as would be a load of bad gas that dumped some debris in the system. The fact that it comes now with higher RPM and goes away at idle, could imply electrical interference on the instrument.

Last edited:
Sensor and pump are both new

Both the sensor and pump are both new with the carb, so 30-ish hours. The fuel pressure and oil pressure sensors share the same ground and power and signal routing back to the Dynon, and the oil pressure is rock solid. No maintenance went on the AC between flights.

The line was tight. All the other lines were tight and passed the white towel test. I’m glad nobody saw it, but I did the hose sniff test at each fitting, bit at zero pressure and with the boost pump on.

The new mech gauge is in and rather informative. Saturdays test runs did not show the large variations, only the normal -/+ 0.1 psi or so around the mean of the given MP/RPM. Maddening. The difference? I purged the system

I have some unique bruises and aches from working in there Saturday. Tom is making the line. I might try to proof the suspect line at work ( we hydrostatically test as part of DV testing).

Data <> Physics/Reality

Everytime I see data like this without a corresponding physical event, it's almost always the wiring/connections to the transducer/sender/probe. And, when it's not the wiring, it's the transducer that's gone T.U. Doesn't matter if the probe is new or recently installed -- that's where the phrase "Infant Mortality" comes from.

What would a real 3 second surge or drop out in fuel pressure FEEL like, especially at WOT? What do the EGT's do with that sudden influx or loss of fuel?

Same thing with an EGT reading that decides to swing violently between 1200°F and 1600°F within the sample window of the EFIS/EIS/EMS. Aside from having to invent new physics to explain the excursion, you would definitely feel that if it were real. There would be other cohorts that would corroborate the observation (eg. CHT, OT, OP, IAS, RPM, MAP, etc.).

In the case of wobbly Fuel Pressure, I would take a look at a couple of other parameters -- Fuel Flow, RPM (if Fixed Pitched), MAP, EGTs and see how they respond...

Just my $.02...

Last edited:
Put some soapy water on the hose fitting and blow some air in with a compressor to see if there are any leaks.

Other data

Brian, In the case of this event, no other parameters show a response to the fuel pressure variations. I do not have fuel flow. My blood pressure changed a bit. There was no change of feel throughout the flight. I would love to find that wiring connection problem, but I’ve played with every one of them in the chain. Unless it’s a bad A/D input in the Dynon - and this unit did that once on EGTs and was repaired - I don’t know. Maybe, just maybe the premanufactured three pin connector provided is it? I have a hard time think8ng two sensors died, Kavlico is a good supplier, they would be all over that. Big sigh.

Bruce, I’m going to try to get to that tomorrow, no time today. I’m going to try to see if I can pull a vac on it first.

Brian, In the case of this event, no other parameters show a response to the fuel pressure variations. I do not have fuel flow. My blood pressure changed a bit. There was no change of feel throughout the flight. I would love to find that wiring connection problem, but I’ve played with every one of them in the chain. Unless it’s a bad A/D input in the Dynon - and this unit did that once on EGTs and was repaired - I don’t know. Maybe, just maybe the premanufactured three pin connector provided is it? I have a hard time think8ng two sensors died, Kavlico is a good supplier, they would be all over that. Big sigh.

Bruce, I’m going to try to get to that tomorrow, no time today. I’m going to try to see if I can pull a vac on it first.

I would leave the mech gauge installed for a while. If you observe the elec gauge swinging wildly, compare it to the mech gauge. That should provide definitive guidance on where to go next. I have all confidence that this is not an issue with your hose or purging. As brian said, when it is perfect one flight then bad the next, then perfect on the following, it is probably electronic in nature. You can't really have a fuel system suck in huge amounts of air on one flight and be perfect on the next. Variations, sure. Perfect to horrid and back again, not so much.

As a follow on, Carbs are very insentive to pressure fluctuations or air introduced into the system. For a carb, ALL that matters is whether or not the delivery system can keep the bowl full and at the right fill height inside the carb. Unlike pressurized injection systems, the air works itself out in the float bowl and doesn't go to the cylinders. The fuel delivery system ONLY needs to keep the bowl full nad if it doesn't, the system goes lean and you will see immediate changes in EGT.
Larry

Last edited:
Rick,

I think having fuel flow instrumentation (and a totalizer function) is more useful than fuel pressure, but that's just me. If you're interested, I have a spare EI FT-60 (red cube) that I'll sell you -- PM me.

A good friend of mine was just debugging a "scratchy" noise in his new A30 headsets. It turned out that when he built the radio rack for his Garmin GTR 200, one of the tailgate screws was a pan head instead of flat head. The D-shell connector on the radio pressed against the screw head and caused the pins to not fully seat into the sockets on the outboard side of the connector. After 100's of hours, this partial contact caused the scratchy noise. Similarly, if there is a less than adequate contact on an A/D input (e.g. Fuel Pressure, EGT, CHT, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and so forth) this will show up in the data as wild excursions -- "scratchy".

Cheers!

B

fuel leak?

Rick,

Out of curiosity I searched through the Dynon forums to see if anyone else had asked about fluctuating fuel pressure with a D180. The answers were just repeats of what has been said here, wiring or leak.

I have an O-360 that had fluctuating fuel pressure. During the CI I noticed a very small amount of blue stain on the gascolator. I mean a really small amount, I wasn't even sure it was a stain given the blue anodized color. I turned on the fuel pump and a very small amount of fuel seeped from around the plug on the unused port. It wasn't enough to have ever smelled fuel and it only leaked under pressure. I removed the plug, cleaned and reinstalled. The fuel pressure now seems to have less fluctuation.

Given you have checked your wiring a small leak seems the likely source of your issue.

Back