What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Control Cables Passthroughs

Blizzard

Just ordered my cables from California Push-Pull for my Lycoming IO-540. Trying to figure out what passthroughs are going to work for them. Early on in the build I enlarged the three holes in the recess to 5/8 as per plans. Now I have 3 holes in a row that can't be enlarged to accept the Eyeballs from Spruce. At least not 3 in a row. The Cable-Safe passthroughs will fit but they call for a 9/16 hole to be made in the firewall. Already have 5/8 inch holes. The other option I considered was sandwiching the existing 3 holes between 2 pieces of stainless steel using rivets and fire sealant. Drill 3 new holes with better spacing and the size I actually need. Or......seal the center hole and drill an extra hole below the other two in a triangle configuration. Then I could use the eyeballs. Somehow the plastic snap bushing for these passthroughs seems a little inadequate. One of these days before I finish the build something is going to turn out easy! LOL

Thanks

Cable

Just ordered my cables from California Push-Pull for my Lycoming IO-540. Trying to figure out what passthroughs are going to work for them. Early on in the build I enlarged the three holes in the recess to 5/8 as per plans. Now I have 3 holes in a row that can't be enlarged to accept the Eyeballs from Spruce. At least not 3 in a row. The Cable-Safe passthroughs will fit but they call for a 9/16 hole to be made in the firewall. Already have 5/8 inch holes. The other option I considered was sandwiching the existing 3 holes between 2 pieces of stainless steel using rivets and fire sealant. Drill 3 new holes with better spacing and the size I actually need. Or......seal the center hole and drill an extra hole below the other two in a triangle configuration. Then I could use the eyeballs. Somehow the plastic snap bushing for these passthroughs seems a little inadequate. One of these days before I finish the build something is going to turn out easy! LOL

Thanks

The eyeballs take up quite a bit of real estate. If you can use the others, a sandwich of stainless with Fire sealant would be my choice. Holes are already where you want them.
Dan may chime in with a better solution.

Hi Doug, I'm not a -10 guy and don't know the best answer/solution. Just pointing out some of DanH's posts on this topic - particularly this one - but that entire thread is very good. In that post, Dan included a photo that shows the commonly used SS "tube with a flange" approach. Not sure that will work for you but may be an option.

I can weld up a custom triple tube penetration with any center to center dimensions.

Attachments

• Fittings.jpg
    Fittings.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 108
Back