What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Hinge Bracket SB

redhawk

Well Known Member
Just thinking about doing the preemptive addition of the aft bracket to my 3B tail even though I don’t have any cracks. Just curious about thoughts on this and if anyone has added the one side bracket and any issues, techniques, etc to be aware of?
Thanks out there…

Elevator SB

Hi, l just went through this twice. Once with a friend's 3B that did have cracks, and on my own that is still in the build stage. Upon VAN'S recommendation we replaced the spars on my friends 3B, and I did mine because it was already there on the workbench and easy to get at.
It is not that difficult if you follow the steps and don't get ahead of yourself. Having said that and this is only my opinion, I don't think I would do it on one that didn't have any cracks.
It may never have cracks. I think there could be a chance of doing more harm than good when drilling and punching out all those rivets through the spar, not to mention the paint job on the skins!
Chris
RV4 bought and sold 730hrs
Harmon Rocket CFHRK built an sold 750 +hrs
RV 6A built for a friend
RV9A built and sold
2x RV12 mentor Campbellriver Teenflight
Graham Lee Nieuport 11 CINPT
Just Highlander CFINX built and sold
RV 3B in the works

I agree with Chris, My 3B hasn't flown yet and obviously has no cracks, I did the SB anyway. I included the forward doubler and used solid rivets, to gain bucking access it is best to remove the tip rib and de-rivet enough of the rear spar bottom skin to get a little more working space.

Straight forward enough, but do realize that the Van's supplied SB kit for the 3 is just raw materials, you will need to cut and bend the hinges, fit and shape the aft doubler. Accurate match drilling and hinge alignment up down / in out is obviously crucial. Work slowly and carefully, I estimate 30-40 hours from initial drilling to final paint fix up for me. YMMV.

Not doing the internal fwd doubler and using Cherry rivets would be pretty straight forward.

As Chris suggested I think there could be a chance doing more harm than good. Chances are if your empenage was built accurately with perfect elevator hinge alignment it may never crack.

Back