What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electrical issue

dothetime

Well Known Member
I’m having an electrical issue, looking for some advice.
Dynon D180, 60 amp alternator, separate solid state regulator, PC680 AGM battery.
Recently on flights after about 15-20 minutes my charging amps is all over the place, going from 5-15 amps fluctuating, voltage stays constant at 14.5. Went thru all the connections, battery, alternator, VR, Dynon180, the Dynon Shunt, everything was cleaned and corrosion inhibitor applied. Normal charging is usually pretty steady at about 5-8 amps.
I’m thinking the battery which is only 1.5 years old may be low at its reading 12.-12.5 when fully charged. Should be closer to 13 volts.
Ordered a new earthx as was looking for an excuse to put one in anyway.
Looking for any ideas for where else to look if it’s not the battery.
Thanks
Dave
N601XP

I’m having an electrical issue, looking for some advice.
Dynon D180, 60 amp alternator, separate solid state regulator, PC680 AGM battery.
Recently on flights after about 15-20 minutes my charging amps is all over the place, going from 5-15 amps fluctuating, voltage stays constant at 14.5. Went thru all the connections, battery, alternator, VR, Dynon180, the Dynon Shunt, everything was cleaned and corrosion inhibitor applied. Normal charging is usually pretty steady at about 5-8 amps.
I’m thinking the battery which is only 1.5 years old may be low at its reading 12.-12.5 when fully charged. Should be closer to 13 volts.
Ordered a new earthx as was looking for an excuse to put one in anyway.
Looking for any ideas for where else to look if it’s not the battery.
Thanks
Dave
N601XP

That's your problem..... battery is shot..... If you charged it on a charger for a few days and that was the results.

The ammeter readings are usually not very useful. If the battery voltage is below 12.5v with a light load when first switching on you have your answer. If flying locally VFR and the battery starts the engine without any trouble you could carry on until engine starting begins to get difficult and change then. If flying IFR or going on a trip change straight away.

Yes battery toast when SOC is less than about 12.5 after charging. They won't usually cause a fluctuating amperage, but can. No gaurantee the surging current is due to the failing battery.

Electrical

Replaced the battery and the erratic amps indicator still showing minus and plus amps 5-15
Did a google search and this seems to be a common issue with the older Dynon D180’s
Just going to keep flying as the voltage is steady.
Probably a bad ground somewhere in the indicator circuit.
Thanks for the help.
Dave

Replaced the battery and the erratic amps indicator still showing minus and plus amps 5-15
Did a google search and this seems to be a common issue with the older Dynon D180’s
Just going to keep flying as the voltage is steady.
Probably a bad ground somewhere in the indicator circuit.
Thanks for the help.
Dave

I would not ignore this. There is a reasonable suspicion that that amps are in fact wildly swinging and this is a sign of an actual problem and possibly what trashed the 1 year old battery. That suspicion goes up exponentially if your alternator is a plane power.

Larry

Put a couple of hours in with the new earthx battery, the erratic amp meter has seemed to subside, but is still there on the ground.
I’m still suspecting a bad ground somewhere in the EMS or it’s wiring harnass.
Voltage is steady.
Thanks for all the input.
Dave
N601XP

Back