What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EI FL-2

ExtraKatana

Well Known Member
Hopefully the title caught you eye and you own one.
My RV-8 of 3 months came with one and it has been working well. Today my left tank would start with a good reading and slowly(over 20 seconds) go to 0 fuel and the red warning light would illuminate. Cycled the master several times. Same thing. removed the wing/fuse fairing and disconnected the BNC on the exterior of the tank and used contact cleaner on all connections including the circular connection in the cockpit. No change. Back to the tank and under the fairing.....it appears there is either a voltage regulator or resistor just inboard of the BNC connector and I don't see this in the wiring manual for the FL-2. Paperwork didn't come with the unit so I'm guessing it's the FL-2CA since there are 3 wires visible and not just one. It also appears to have some corrosion or what looks like corrosion coming from the heat shrink surrounding this device. What is it?

The quantity and calibration has been correct during use the last 3 months. This is only happening on the Left Tank.

Like everything usually is.....It's probably a bad ground but curious if those in the know think ground, capacative sensor, or something else.

Last edited:
You can check if it is a FL-2R vs FL-2 RA by leaving it in the center position, pressing the "enter" button on the back, then powering it up. If it says "gAL" it is the older unit (FL-2R), and you'll need to get a copy of the older manual--which I don't think it on the site anymore. I can send you screenshots of the calibration pages if so, but is sounds like it is either a failed sender or open circuit.

Last edited:
I also feel compelled to note that customer service for EI is among the best in the business. Every single interaction with them has been 4 stars. I'm working with them right now on an upgrade to my FL-2, and they are just superb. One of the reasons I stuck with EI gauges during my panel upgrade.

Now thinking I have a bad connector somewhere. Everything works perfect today. Yes, EI has been responsive. At first they were guessing interface module. Now don’t know.

Back