What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Eggenfellner West

rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
Eggenfellner just announced a couple days ago that they would be opening a west location at the Cable airport in California soon for better customer support.
It would seem that the demand for something other than Lycos is increasing.

The new H6 drive will hopefully be on display at SNF on Tom Moore's RV and at Egg's booth. :)

i saw that announcement yesterday. that's a good move, i think. i hope to see tom's airplane with the new redrive. i'm really interested to see the installed look.

btw, i ordered a new H-6 yesterday! hope i'm ready within' two years! :D

well, i haven't laid down the "big bucks" just yet, but my day will come. the order was placed with a small deposit. yep, no crankshaft problems to worry about.

That will be nice. I'd like to see some of their products first hand, even though I'll probably go with the lycoming in the long run anyway $$$.

rv6ejguy said:
You laid down the big bucks on the Sube. I'm sure you'll like it. No crankshaft problems anyway. :)

No problems? Or just nobody looking for them?

Subaru engines

dan said:
No problems? Or just nobody looking for them?
When I was deciding on an aircraft engine, I discussed the Subaru engine with a guy I know that is the service manager for a Subaru dealership not far from me. I asked him about the types of failures the engine cores experience. He looked at me funny, and asked me what I meant. I described the types of problems some aviation engines have. He said in over 15 years of working there, he's never seen any failure in any Subaru engine core. The most serious issue they have in the engines is if someone runs the engine for over 300,000 km (about 187,000 miles) without changing the timing belt, it can break. That's not good, but it's simple, preventable maintenance. Subuaru recommends it be changed every 100,000 km or 150,000 km depending on the model.

I later had a very similar discussion with another service manager of a different dealership when it came time to replace my timing belt in my Subaru Forester. They want over USD 200 for a new belt, plus labor, so I really wanted to know if I needed to change it right away, since I plan to sell the car in 6 months. He said that he had a case about 7 years ago where one broke.

Clearly, these are only two guys, from two relatively small dealerships. Also, Swiss car inspection rules make it pretty hard to keep a car much more than about 10-15 years. However, they see a lot more cars than a typical A&P sees airplanes. I challenge you to find an A&P anywhere in the world that has not seen a catastrophic failure in an aviation engine!

Here we go with the alternative engine debate again....

I challenge you to find a Subaru that is run at 75% of rated power for most of its service life.

Its impossible to compare failure modes like that. Car engines and airplane engines have much different duty cycles, etc. I hope the Subarus turn out to be very reliable - but we just don't know yet because they are so new in an aircraft application.

Tanstafl........

Tanstafl........"There ain't no such thing as a free lunch", according to the wise old mountain man! A friend of mine has a supercharged Eggy in his new RV7 because he wanted to burn mogas from his private strip. The engine is really smooth with the 3 bladed electric prop (I think it's an MT) but is about 15 MPH slower than our -6A 180 HP Lyc. It took an incredibly long time to get all the ECU problems sorted out for the first flight to take place and now in less than a year, the rubber grommets that hold the big aluminum plate to the engine mount have sagged and the supercharger pulley has worn itself out on the top part of the right landing gear leg, which had been shaved at an angle to clear said pulley in the first place. Meantime, we just fly and fly and fly......
My advice is to seriously reconsider anything other than a Lyc which Van designed the airplane around 20 years ago. In the first place, the Egg is no bargain anyway....a mid time Lyc for almost half the price can be bought with a little looking around. Secondly, try finding a capable mechanic in Timbuktoo with a scanner to read the error signals that the ECU tells. KISS.
Pierre Smith

Subaru Engines

JordanGrant said:
I challenge you to find a Subaru that is run at 75% of rated power for most of its service life.
Touch?! There are not that many, that's for sure. What we do know is that running at 75% of power most of their lives causes problems with a number of aviation engines. We don't yet know if the same is true for the Subaru. I can point to a handful of high time Subaru powered aircraft that have not suffered any catastrophic failures, but not a statistically significant number.

JordanGrant said:
Here we go with the alternative engine debate again....
This is the Alternative Engine "sandbox" of this forum, so I guess you came over looking for a debate! :)

pierre smith said:
Tanstafl........"There ain't no such thing as a free lunch", according to the wise old mountain man! A friend of mine has a supercharged Eggy in his new RV7 because he wanted to burn mogas from his private strip. The engine is really smooth with the 3 bladed electric prop (I think it's an MT) but is about 15 MPH slower than our -6A 180 HP Lyc.
Very true - no free lunch. What engine does he have? Could be the 165HP.
pierre smith said:
It took an incredibly long time to get all the ECU problems sorted out for the first flight to take place and now in less than a year, the rubber grommets that hold the big aluminum plate to the engine mount have sagged and the supercharger pulley has worn itself out on the top part of the right landing gear leg, which had been shaved at an angle to clear said pulley in the first place.
Wow - good to know. I'll keep an eye on my grommets. Did he notify Eggenfellner? I have not heard any discussion of this on the Eggenfellner list.

pierre smith said:
Meantime, we just fly and fly and fly......
My advice is to seriously reconsider anything other than a Lyc which Van designed the airplane around 20 years ago.
I agree completely. People should carefully consider all possible pros and cons of changing anything from what Van recommends. Auto conversions are not for everyone, even complete firewall forward kits like the Eggenfellner.
pierre smith said:
In the first place, the Egg is no bargain anyway....a mid time Lyc for almost half the price can be bought with a little looking around. Secondly, try finding a capable mechanic in Timbuktoo with a scanner to read the error signals that the ECU tells. KISS.
Very true - the Eggenfellner is expensive. If you want cheap, a used lycoming is the way to go. Or, you can try to roll your own auto conversion with a Rotary or a Subaru. You will be trading time for money. About the scanner, you can get handheld scanners for about USD 400 or download one to run on your PC for about USD 100. Then you get a lot of information from the engine that you'd never get from a lycoming. Any auto mechanic has one of these scanners, BTW. I can't really imagine someone flying an auto conversion with the stock ECU without one of these scanners. In any case, I doubt you'll see much more of the stock ECU on these conversions. Everyone seems to be moving to simpler, easier to install, and more flexible third-party engine computers like the one from http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html

Eggenfellner subaru

I have been interested in the Eggenfellner subaru engine, but have just started my empennage and don't have to make a final decision, yet. Tentatively, however, I have decided to go with a traditional engine.

It's very difficult to get real information on the H6 engine. The H6 is fairly new, and performance and weight information is hard to come by. Also, I have not been able to find reliable information on the FWF kits that Eggenfellner offers, how they compare with Van's kits, and how difficult the installation might be on the RV8 or RV8A.

Everyone I talk to discourages the use of the subaru. Many point to difficulty of installation and reliability issues. Others emphasize that the performance fails to equal that of a lycoming, although I suspect that this comparison is based on the 2.5 liter subaru engine, and not the H6. I have not heard from anyone who has researched the new H6 engine who has experience with traditional engines and has definitive information.

When I asked questions on the Eggenfellner subaru user group, I got no answers. It seems like Eggenfellner is pretty defensive and interprets questioning and constructive criticism as an attack on his product. I am a little leery about buying an engine from someone who does not give me an impression of being open and forthright, although I admit that is just an impression.

My question is, does anyone have real data (not guesses or anecdotal information) about the use of the Eggenfellner subaru H6 engine in an RV8/8A in terms of reliability, ease of installation, weight and balance, ultimate performance, and product support from Eggenfellner?

I'm an A&P (4 years), and I've never seen a catastrophic engine failure first hand. Most 4 cylinder lycomings will LOVE being run at 75% power for their expected life, but you have to do it on a consistant basis (can't just fly once a month). I know of far more instances where Lycomings lasted 2400HR's or more, than of Lycomings coming apart mid air. Besides the accessories going goofy (carb, mags or fuel pump) the only time i've heard of a 4-Cylinder Lycoming failing was a case of the cam corroding (lost a cylinder due to a flat lobe.) and one of detonation because sand from a sparkplug cleaning machine got into the cylinder. Sure there are Crank AD's and this and that... but that doesn't mean that all the engines that are affected by them will have a problem, all it means is that ONE engine had a problem.

wow, i need to go way back in this thread to respond to a few comments...

i'm sure that everyone that has one of the sub's is definitely looking for problems through oil analysis. i know i will...

you just can't compare a mid life lycoming to a brand new subaru. yeah, it's expensive, but so is a brand new lycoming...and i will carry my own scanner for $200 to diagnose a problem.

in talking with several egg customers, all of them are very satisfied with customer service. i've been treated very well as a potential customer, but that's to be expected. if something changes, i will be sure to report.

the older 165hp egg WILL be slower than the 180 lyc. similar airframe plus more hp equals more speed...the H-6 is rated at 190hp for the -7/7A, so it should give fairly equal performance...

yes, the H-6 is new (that's one thing i like about it), and we don't have a whole lot of info on it yet. if you look around a little more, i think you'll find more than you thought was there..."How much does the firewall forward package weigh?

The H-6 engine has the same firewall forward weight as the IO-360. The total is 350 for the engine and 420 for the firewall complete package. Add 30 lb to this for a supercharged H-6 model." straight from the egg website. i'm not sure how the installation works for the -8/8A, as most are going on 7's. i know it's a very easy install on those firewalls. send an email about that. they will be happy to answer. also, tom moore has a great
website with a lot of detail about installation and performance of his 7A.

and for reliability...i'm not an A&P, but i do work at an FBO. i've been there for 7 years, and while failures are definitely NOT commonplace, i have seen 8 catastrophic failures, and two where lyc 360's. they are GREAT engines, you'll get no argument from me, but i just don't really want one. to each his own, right?

btw, this is another great thread on debating the issue... :D

cjensen said:
i'm sure that everyone that has one of the sub's is definitely looking for problems through oil analysis. i know i will...

How frequently are most Subaru drivers changing their oil? Just curious.

can't answer that, don't know. how often does robert change his? just wondering if you guys talked enough to know. i'm not sure what jan recommends, but i don't know why you wouldn't change it every 25-50 hours just like any other engine on an airplane. that's totally just me thinking of how i will do it though. :)

I don't know offhand how often Robert changes his engine or gearbox oil. I'll ask him (and Pete Krok, another Sube driver) on Wednesday when I see him. He's doing a series of thrust measurement tests on different planes/powerplants and mine will be one of them. It'll be interesting to see!

Anyway, I do remember Robert saying early on, before he flew his plane, that he wasn't even putting an oil door in his cowling because he wouldn't need to check the oil. I'm not sure if he has added one since then (that was almost 3 years ago).

Oil door

dan said:
Anyway, I do remember Robert saying early on, before he flew his plane, that he wasn't even putting an oil door in his cowling because he wouldn't need to check the oil. I'm not sure if he has added one since then (that was almost 3 years ago).
I'm not putting one on my cowl. How often do you check the oil in your car? Eggenfellner recommends engine oil and filter changes at 25 hours. More maintenance items here: http://www.rv8.ch/article.php?story=20050312133458185

dan said:
I don't know offhand how often Robert changes his engine or gearbox oil. I'll ask him (and Pete Krok, another Sube driver) on Wednesday when I see him. He's doing a series of thrust measurement tests on different planes/powerplants and mine will be one of them. It'll be interesting to see!

whoa! that's interesting. i plan on at least having access somehow to check it. just habitual though, i guess. you're right mickey, i don't check the oil in my car or truck. probably should though...

i'm really interested in the results of the tests you guys are gonna do. keep us posted!

How Dare you

pierre smith said:
Tanstafl........"There ain't no such thing as a free lunch", according to the wise old mountain man! A friend of mine has a supercharged Eggy in his new RV7 because he wanted to burn mogas from his private strip. The engine is really smooth with the 3 bladed electric prop (I think it's an MT) but is about 15 MPH slower than our -6A 180 HP Lyc. It took an incredibly long time to get all the ECU problems sorted out for the first flight to take place and now in less than a year, the rubber grommets that hold the big aluminum plate to the engine mount have sagged and the supercharger pulley has worn itself out on the top part of the right landing gear leg, which had been shaved at an angle to clear said pulley in the first place. Meantime, we just fly and fly and fly......
My advice is to seriously reconsider anything other than a Lyc which Van designed the airplane around 20 years ago. In the first place, the Egg is no bargain anyway....a mid time Lyc for almost half the price can be bought with a little looking around. Secondly, try finding a capable mechanic in Timbuktoo with a scanner to read the error signals that the ECU tells. KISS.
Pierre Smith
Pierre, HOW DARE YOU, inject reality into the debate. You insult me with your facts and real world experience. If you can't just rant and rave with opinion based on preference only, I don't think I can stand your participation in this discussion any more Sir, if you insist on using useful data and facts! Please in future post, try to be "not encumbered by the thought process". :rolleyes:

:D George, I almost pissed myself, too funny, but true.

Last edited:
Pissed already?

gmcjetpilot said:
...almost pissed myself, too funny, but true.
Wow, George - you're starting early - it's not even lunch time on the west coast! :D

Oil change interval

Dan,

I have 455 hours on one of the older 2.5l Egg sube engines in my RV9A. I started with 25 hours between oil changes, now 45-50. Gear box every other time I change the engine oil. Send each sample out for analysis, never a problem. I always laugh when I read about all the problems that "friends" have with their engines. Aside from a couple of electrical connections that where my fault during the initial test phase, I have done nothing but add gas and fly for a little over 2 years now. I knew going in, I would be a little slower than a 160 horse equipped plane as the 2.5 is only approx 145 horses, If I wanted to go faster, I would put in the H6. I don't feel the need at this time to do that, I enjoy 6.5 GPH and 155-160 mph.

Thanks for your time, and keep it real.

Nathan Larson
N217JT RV9E 455 hours.

Yo-Yo, Yeah, Keep'N it real Bro

rv8ch said:
Touch?! :) By the comments about "this is an alternative engine list", I guess that means don't respond if you have not partaken in the cool-aid. Now that's Keep'N It real's my Brother.
rvatornate said:
.....slower than a 160 horse equipped plane as the 2.5 is only approx 145 horses, If I wanted to go faster, I would put in the H6. I don't feel the need at this time to do that, I enjoy 6.5 GPH and 155-160 mph. Thanks for your time, and keep it real. Nathan Larson N217JT RV9E 455 hours.
That's right, be happy with what you got; I would. The 3.0 litre H6 engine offers an alleged 212 horsepower at 6000 engine rpm. (RPM and HP according to Subaru's sales brochure(?) not real data.) Approximately 40 kg (88lb) heavier than Subaru's four cylinder 2.5 litre engine, Oh My Gosh, that's a lot or weight friends, especially since RV's with a 2.5 litre installation is 100lbs heaver than a Lycoming. Now that is keep'N it real, real heavy. :p

Not to be Mr. Obvious but no reduction drive is 100% efficient. With the new ratio of 2.58 to 1 there is going to be some serious engine RPM. Claimed is 170 kts (195 mph) at 1800 RPM or 4656 engine RPM. The prop electric MT has a low RPM limit of 1700 RPM? At 4656 RPM the fuel burn will be 15-16 gph or is it 10 gph? I agree stick with the 2.5 liter.

As was said, TANSTAAFL. The issue with any water cooled engine plane installation is, what to do with the radiators? This is a source of cooling drag that needs to be addressed. The P-51 had the right idea.

I ain't anti Fo' Shizzle, Yo, don't be hating, that's just Keep'n its real, Yo Yo, Yeah, George (ha ha ha )

Last edited:
Cost of 100LL $$$

This is a great thread and a lot of varied opinions here. Great stuff!!!

My initial thoughts are for the 180 hp Lyc. fixed pitch cruise prop. Seems to be about the most bang for the buck...and also KISS :D . I am very interested though in the Eggy sube, primarily because of the cost of fuel.

Don't know 'bout you guys, but the cost of 100LL is ridiculous here in the DC area. It's a pretty big incentive for considering something that burns mogas.

I'm still in the wing stage, but sooner or later will have to pick which fork in the road! The longer I wait for now, the more data will come in on the success/reliability reports on the Eggy, and on any other possibilities for that matter. Also for any install issues to be addressed and worked out.

Plus...what's up with the future of 100LL anyway?

Aw heck with the money! I think I'll hang one of those Russian M-14 radials on the front and go make some real noise!! AAUUUGGHHH...AAUUUGGGHHH...AAAUUUGGGHHHH!!

Jeff
-8 wings

gmcjetpilot said:
I ain't anti Fo' Shizzle, Yo, don't be hating, that's just Keep'n its real, Yo Yo, Yeah, George (ha ha ha )

what the h$#@ was that?

i would suggest reading the egg website, and/or subscribing to the yahoo group to get the real numbers. george, your taking numbers a spittin' 'em out, and most don't hold water if you would just check on the guys that are running the H-6 already...

here's some numbers from the websites-

-2004 3.0 H-6 engines are 420lbs ready to fly - 190 HP. IO-360 firewall package - 180 HP - that came off the RV-6A was 415 lbs

-2300 prop rpm 6000 engine rpm Climb (RV-7,8 Max) 200 hp
this is where you might see 15gph

-1800 prop rpm 4600 Cruise rpm (RV-9A Max) 160hp
fuel is down to about 10gph here.

as always, this is an endless argument with you, but i ALWAYS enjoy it! all in good fun my friend. :)

I didn't mean to start this all over again, honest. I just wanted to inform people interested in Subaru conversion in the west about this development. Hopefully Eggenfellner will make Subie powered demo flights available to those interested.

For those not knowledgeable about Subaru powered aircraft, I'll rebuttal this 75% power issue nonsense thing for about the third time. Stock EJ crank and case has withstood over 950hp in racing. This equates to 2280hp on an O-360. How many milliseconds would that last?

Rotary Airforce has been using EJs in their Gyroplanes for a decade. Sold hundreds and they have accumulated over 100,000 flight hours to date worldwide. No crank failures to my knowledge to date. These are operated at or near 75% for their entire lives.

I change oil in my turbo Sube at 50 hours, gearbox oil at 100 hours.

more info

I just wanted to comment about installing the firewall forward package.

I know of a couple folks here locally that have or are installing the H6 firewall forward package. Couple of things:

1) It comes already on the mount, with all accessories attached.

2) Within 30 minutes of uncrating you can hookup a battery to the fuel pumps and ignition system and have a running engine.

3) Since everything is already attached all you have to do is hoist the engine onto the firewall and bolt everything in place. Voi la.

4) You can run it without the prop, allowing you to testing your install inside your nice warm hangar without having to chain the tail down outside somewhere or worry about a swinging prop while making adjustments.

Additional work to be done:

1) Requires a fuel return line. Could be a PITA, but if you plan for it while building not a problem.

2) Additional backup battery recommended (due to the electrically dependant ignition system).

I know that's not much info, but I'm always amazed when I go see my friend's RV7A and seeing the engine either on or off as strikes his fancy.

gmcjetpilot said:

:confused:
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
I've sat at this computer for quite a bit of time as I try to comprehend what exactly you are trying to prove/say with this, and I can't even begin to understand what you were trying to accomplish.
To Chad, rv6ejguy, ccrawford, jeff and others in this thread, keep up the great discussion: Nothing is accomplished with slamming different engine choices. There are plusses and minuses to all of them, but comments about kool-aid drinking and racially charged lines like yours above George, do not need to be included.

To answer your question concerning fuel flow at 4656 rpm, my data at 4600 shows right near that magical 10 GPH during my climbouts from my 1000msl airport. I would think the H6 would be a little higher at the same rpm, but that is just an educated guess on my part.

Nathan Larson
N217JT RV9E

Chill dude

rvatornate said:
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
I've sat at this computer for quite a bit of time as I try to comprehend
what exactly you are trying to prove/say with this, and I can't even begin
to understand what you were trying to accomplish.
To Chad, rv6ejguy, ccrawford, jeff and others in this thread, keep up the
great discussion: Nothing is accomplished with slamming different
engine choices. There are pluses and minuses to all of them, but
comments about kool-aid drinking and racially charged lines like yours
above George, do not need to be included.

To answer your question concerning fuel flow at 4656 rpm, my data at
4600 shows right near that magical 10 GPH during my climbouts from
my 1000msl airport. I would think the H6 would be a little higher at the
same rpm, but that is just an educated guess on my part.

Nathan Larson
N217JT RV9E
Nathan, Lighten UP, I was a JOKE :D , tongue in cheek all the way.
I was picking up on the previous "keep it real" comment. As the kids
say, chill Dude, Fo' Sizzle (for sure). Take care, its all in fun.

No one is "slamming", and the **cool-aid comment was totally in
jest, but sorry if you're offended. Just good natured poking at my
Subie buddies.

However I do make legitimate engineering comments about weight,
cooling drag and RPM.

I understand the physics of TINSTAAFL, "There is no such thing as
a free lunch". Putting a bigger engine in is not the answer. REDUCING
cooling drag is. Trust me I know a little about it.

I DO appreciate that the estimated HP for the 2.5L is 145HP. That is
more realistic than any number I have heard before, and I DO VERY
much appreciate the fair and honest evaluation of performance. You
have to be honest it was just a come back to the crank recall. ha ha.
It is just all in fun.

Also engine weight is a big factor affecting how a RV flies. Although a
small player in high speed cruise it affects climb, handling, stall speed
and of course payload. The H6 and the new re-drive looks like adding
even more weight to an already overweight 2.5L engine installation.
That concerns me.

To be fair, at the H6's high installed weight, if it was to "pull its weight",
it would need to match the performance of an IO-390 (210HP) Lyc. I
just don't see that happening until cooling drag is reduced. Water
cooling is cool (pun intended), but the radiator installation is problematic.

When Jan says 212 HP, that is theoretical. What makes it to the prop
is a differnt thing. 212 HP is in a sales brochure. Also you are not at
6000 RPM. Fair enough. As far as fuel efficiency. If the Subie is not
Blown/Turbo-ed its efficiency is not going to be better than a
Lycoming. In a car a Subie would KILL a Lycoming, but we are
talking planes. However I like a pre water cooled Porsche 911 way
better.

It does not matter; "the proof of the pudding is in the eating."
(another weird phrase).

A bigger heaver engine with a few more HP, will not change the
equation. Yes more HP, but big weight and fuel flow increase. Again
get the weight and drag down, or get the HP (more correctly thrust)
up with out adding weight. Don't change the engine.

Don't get me started that a H6 cost way too much, uses a $8,000 prop
and has a more involved installation (electrical dependant, radiators). A
Lycoming runs with no electricity and just two wires (P-leads), one fuel
line and a control cable or two. FARM tractor technology at its best:
simple, works, reliable and lasts a long time. Go John Deere. Let me
correct that, John Deere is to sophisticated, 1950's farm tractor
technology is more like a Lycoming and proud of it.

I can go on about how there are now FIVE! sources of electronic ignitions
and two makers of *FADEC and for Lycomings, if we want to play the
snooty technology card. Also for good measure add a roller cam, composite
oil sump and 4-into-1 exhaust into the cool stuff for Lyc's pot.

*Newest FADEC - Precision Airmotive EMS:
http://www.precisionairmotive.com/images/EMS Page/EMScomponents.JPG

OR see there web site: http://www.precisionairmotive.com/

I did not want to get into it, I was just having fun. Now you ruined my
fun :-(

Just Kidding Nathan, lets be friends. Peace out dude.

Cheers George

** "Drinking the Cool-Aid" is a popular phrase which of course
references the Reverend Jim Jones and the mass suicide of his
followers at Jamestown - a mass suicide made possible by the
followers drinking cyanide laced Cool-Aid. This phrase based on
grotesque circumstances is now pretty much accepted in
everyday conversations. It really does not mean mass suicide,
it means doing the same thing as a like minded group, implying
that you believe. That's all Folks. I can see that playing with
popular "Urban" language is subject to miss interpretation and
will attempt to use standard English. Apologize to any Gangsta
Rappers out there, I feel ya dog.

Last edited:
lurker.gif

Subaru

gmcjetpilot said:
I am sorry but the HP that
makes it to the prop of a Subaru installation is way less than what the
brochure says at the car dealership. For one thing you are not installed
in a car and you are not at 6000 RPM.
It's true that the PSRU takes power. I would guess that the transmission and the linkages that get power from the engine to the four wheels in the car take a bit of power, too. Both the intake and the exhaust in the Eggenfellner are highly modified. Are they better or worse? When comparing to the car, I would postulate that the exhaust is *much* better, since it has only a couple of very smooth bends and no catalytic converter. The intake is probably a wash, or perhaps slightly better in the car, since they have a bit more room to make it smoother.

I'm sure there will eventually be some "races" between the Eggenfellners and the Lycomings. They will give us some information.

gmcjetpilot said:
Don't get me started that it cost more, uses a $8,000 prop and has
more involved installation (electrical dependant, radiators). A Lycoming
can run with no electricity, two wires (P-leads), one fuel line, an two
cable controls. I did not want to get into it, I was just having fun.
What might be cool is if someone were to go to http://www.rvwiki.org/ and put in an entry for why Lycomings are the best, and then when this conversation comes up, you can just post a link to that article. Those of us that "see the light", or have "drank the kool-aid" can put up an article that shows why we feel the Subaru is the best choice. Everyone will be happy!

I am scared

rv8ch said:
What might be cool is if someone were to go to http://www.rvwiki.org/ and put in an entry for why Lycomings are the best, and then when this conversation comes up, you can just post a link to that article. Those of us that "see the light", or have "drank the kool-aid" can put up an article that shows why we feel the Subaru is the best choice. Everyone will be happy!
Not me I am scared, your Hood. Gang members are going to take me to the wood shed and open a, ol'can o'whoop ass" on my buttox. :rolleyes: Cheers. Its all good. I'll behave now, I am much better. "Good Night and Good Luck" G

Last edited:
Go George Go!!!

Sorry guys can't let you all gang up on my fellow 100LL burning, 1940's engine using bud :D
You know I really don't get why people argue over this stuff any one can put what ever they want in their bird and as long as in makes enough noise they are going to love flying their rv. As far as this tread goes....... don't worry George you get to go to the airport and start a real airplane... they will get to air/carport and start another car..... :eek:
So yo George I got your back :D

Just kidding guys...best of luck with all your planes

While I am also in the camp that feels that no alternative engine has yet demonstrated long term advantage over the Lycoming design, I like these arguments, I mean, discussions ( ;) ) because a lot will be changing in the next 6 to 8 years.

I'll be flying the bejebbers out of my brand spanking new Mattituck IO-360 after next year, but when the 2000 hours or so are on the Hobbs, I'm willing to be open minded and see what the choices are then and maybe use one of the PROVEN alternative engines if there's enough time on one of them to show their reliability.

Ya'll can hang a Briggs 'n Stratton up front for all I care and I won't try to talk you out of it. Since I'm not the one acting as "test pilot", it's all good, and after you're done with all that testing and an engine design proves itself to be superior to the Lycoming design, then I might just go that way myself next time.

Oh yea, to add to the mix; has anyone noticed that John Deere uses some pretty rugged YanMar deisel engines on their tractors that are built to operate year in and year out at 3100rpm (with no PSRU)?
Someone should look into that... :D

rv6ejguy said:
I didn't mean to start this all over again, honest. I just wanted to inform people interested in Subaru conversion in the west about this development. Hopefully Eggenfellner will make Subie powered demo flights available to those interested.

For those not knowledgeable about Subaru powered aircraft, I'll rebuttal this 75% power issue nonsense thing for about the third time. Stock EJ crank and case has withstood over 950hp in racing. This equates to 2280hp on an O-360. How many milliseconds would that last?

Rotary Airforce has been using EJs in their Gyroplanes for a decade. Sold hundreds and they have accumulated over 100,000 flight hours to date worldwide. No crank failures to my knowledge to date. These are operated at or near 75% for their entire lives.

I change oil in my turbo Sube at 50 hours, gearbox oil at 100 hours.
Ok, that's nice, but again, we are not trying to make 2000hp in a lycoming, we are trying to make 200 RELIABLE HP. So the crank in the sube is good forever, but there is NO ONE looking at the QC in the sube cranks like there are looking at Lycoming cranks. So even if a batch of sube cranks had a problem, my point is that no one would really know until the crank went capoot. And when does go pop (and this is just using the crank as an example, but it could be ANY engine part) with the lycoming, and AD will come out, and a certain number of affected engines will have to be fixed, with a sube, you just fix it and no one else will know if their engine has the same problem or not because there is no AD system for the engine.

I liken this to just completely ignoring any AD's and SB's that come out on your lyc. Sure it will be cheaper to operate, and most likely nothing will fail, but it would be imprudent from a safety standpoint to do that, with an experimental, it would be completely legal to do so.

My point was not that subes are unreliable, but that there isn't the same safety net with them as with a lyclone.

As for savings, sure the FWF package is nice, and I'll definitly give subes another look in two years when I get around to engine... but with the crappy (and I do mean CRAPPY) electric CS, high FF for the H6 compared to a LOP running IO-360 (Seriously, with my O-360A1A 180HP in the Cardinal I get 7.5 GPH on longrange cruise, and 8.5 on everyday cruise, maybe touching on 12 on climbout, and this engine can run on 91 if necessary. And that is CARBED), I don't see any distinct reason to buy a sube at this time, except that you want one.

Each engine has it's drawbacks, but I feel the lycoming is a simpler engine, with less to go wrong, and is much easier to diagnose in general, and it appears that an equally powerful sube will run about the same FF's, with the same FWF package price, and about the same everyday maintence costs, without the safety net. What is the advanage again?

P.S. In your power equation for the Lyc, did you take RPM into consideration? I'll bet that 950HP sube was running a LOT faster than 6000RPM. A lycoming is good to ~3200 in race trim...

osxuser said:
...there is NO ONE looking at the QC in the sube cranks like there are looking at Lycoming cranks. So even if a batch of sube cranks had a problem, my point is that no one would really know until the crank went capoot. And when does go pop (and this is just using the crank as an example, but it could be ANY engine part) with the lycoming, and AD will come out, and a certain number of affected engines will have to be fixed, with a sube, you just fix it and no one else will know if their engine has the same problem or not because there is no AD system for the engine.

what!? you don't think that subaru and fuji heavy industries are looking at the cranks and all other parts of the engine? lack of QC??? i don't think so...

there is no official system, you are correct, but the sube and alternative engine community is very close, and if a problem arises, you can be sure that everyone knows about it. you talk of safey nets from FAA regulation, when most (if not all) AD's and SB's stem from one incident, then everyone is responsible for it, just like the latest SB on the lyc cranks. i'm happy that it's in place, but on this latest one, EVERYONE that has the affected serial number is going to have to replace the crank at their own expense. what if nothing is wrong? i's be pissed.

osxuser said:
...high FF for the H6 compared to a LOP running IO-360 (Seriously, with my O-360A1A 180HP in the Cardinal I get 7.5 GPH on longrange cruise, and 8.5 on everyday cruise, maybe touching on 12 on climbout, and this engine can run on 91 if necessary. And that is CARBED), I don't see any distinct reason to buy a sube at this time, except that you want one.

this is one of the most common misconceptions that i've seen as a sube enthusiast and future customer. i've NEVER seen any fuel flows stated as being out of line when compared to a lyc running LOP from any of the guys running them. long range cruise setting in an H-6 is very comperable to the lyc. it my be a gallon to a gallon and a half higher, but that's not enough of a difference to call it high FF. in cruise, they are running 10-11 gph. again very close, and not enough of a difference...

osxuser said:
Each engine has it's drawbacks, but I feel the lycoming is a simpler engine, with less to go wrong, and is much easier to diagnose in general, and it appears that an equally powerful sube will run about the same FF's, with the same FWF package price, and about the same everyday maintence costs, without the safety net. What is the advanage again?

you're right each does have it's drawbacks, that's been stated countless times. what's so hard about plugging the computer diagnostic in and having it tell you EXACTLY what's wrong???

earlier you wrote of how the fuel flows are better with the lyc, now they are the same?? i do agree about the price, but if you add fadec to a lyc and make all else equal (prop, FWF costs, electronic ignition), i've found that the egg sube is very close, if not SLIGHTLY cheaper (yes, george, even with the $8k prop!). i've said it before that if things are to be compared on the same level, they have to be compared new to new, and similarly equipped. i know that mid time lycs with a carb and FP prop will be thousands less (maybe $10k, less) than the sube, but it's not a good comparison for someone that wants new equipment.

where's the LOVE... lol

I too am following this and other engine discussions with interest [and ignorance [as I'm probably the least knowledgable poster in this thread]].

I want a 9 so the H6 is out of the question for me anyhoo. More's the shame. I guess eggie decided not to worry about < 160 hp applications.

I started my search because I drive a TDI diesel - I wanted a diesel powered canard. I have a friend in Greece [where fuel costs really vary]. Now, a few months of research have convienced me to want a -9 and lycoming [most probably] as my first engine. Talk about a 180!

Why?... b/c as highflight so elequently stated:
Highflight said:
While I am also in the camp that feels that no alternative engine has yet demonstrated long term advantage over the Lycoming design, I like these arguments, I mean, discussions ( ) because a lot will be changing in the next 6 to 8 years.

additionally,

Highflight said:
Oh yea, to add to the mix; has anyone noticed that John Deere uses some pretty rugged YanMar deisel engines on their tractors that are built to operate year in and year out at 3100rpm (with no PSRU)?
Someone should look into that... :D

My Greek friend [who is completing a Cozy III] is leaning toward the Volvo D5 or the Toyota 4D4. Both have too much HP for a -9 but smaller diesels are available.

The problem of fit and finish remains.

It isn't the engine core of a Rotary, Subie or whatever that is the problem. It all the ancillary equipment.

I LOVE my TDI and the current state of diesel technology makes using one in an A/C easily viable [as is a Rotary or a Subie]. The devil is in the experimentation to make them fit and work [John Slade has gone thru 3 or 4 turbos trying to get his Cozy IV to have a turbo'd B-13].

I welcome all the experimentation by those inclinded - hat is off to ya... but I don't have the skills or time to blaze the trail.

I will keep an open mind but until there is a clear and pronounced advantage to alternative power sources - I've conceded to start out traditional.

Pax

John

Subaru Advantages

osxuser said:
Try to get a ride in a Subaru powered aircraft, and then I think you'll see one of the principle advantages - they are very smooth. I just did my first engine start today - it went perfectly. I did it in the shop, without the prop, without the wings. It just started right up. It vibrates like your car, sitting there idling. I don't have my engine monitor (EIS4000) wired yet, but I had the ODB-II scan tool, and I could monitor RPM, throttle position, coolant temperature, A/F ratio, car speed (huh?), timing advance, intake air temperature, and a whole lot of other stuff I have not yet figured out. I thought that was pretty cool, but I wouldn't suggest anyone fall in love with the Subaru ECU or the ODB-II tools, since I doubt they will be on the Eggenfellner engines much longer.

About other advantages, how about not having to add oil between changes? How about no risk of "shock cooling"? How about no top end overhauls? How about being able to replace the whole engine with a new one for about USD 7000? Greatly reduced risk of CO poisoning due to cabin heat coming from the engine coolant. Easy starts even in very cold weather. Did I mention that the engine is very smooth?

Open minded, yes!

Deuskid said:
where's the LOVE... lol

I too am following this and other engine discussions with interest [and
ignorance [as I'm probably the least knowledgeable poster in this
thread
]].

I want a 9 so the H6 is out of the question for me anyhow. More's the
shame. I guess eggie decided not to worry about < 160 hp applications.

I started my search because I drive a TDI diesel - I wanted a diesel
powered canard. I have a friend in Greece [where fuel costs really vary].
Now, a few months of research have convinced me to want a -9 and
lycoming [most probably] as my first engine. Talk about a 180!

My Greek friend [who is completing a Cozy III] is leaning toward
the Volvo D5 or the Toyota 4D4. Both have too much HP for a -9 but
smaller diesels are available.

The problem of fit and finish remains.

It isn't the engine core of a Rotary, Subie or whatever that is the problem.
It all the ancillary equipment.

I LOVE my TDI and the current state of diesel technology makes using
one in an A/C easily viable [as is a Rotary or a Subie]. The devil is in the
experimentation to make them fit and work [John Slade has gone thru 3
or 4 turbos trying to get his Cozy IV to have a turbo'd B-13].

I welcome all the experimentation by those included - hat is off to ya...
but I don't have the skills or time to blaze the trail.

I will keep an open mind but until there is a clear and pronounced
advantage to alternative power sources - I've conceded to start out
traditional.

Pax John
You are probably the most knowledgeable of
the posters. Thank goodness, here is an un-jaded open minded comment.
As you can tell Deuskid, we (me included) have prejudice, preference and
dogma we all adhere to discussing this topic. You have outlined many of
the issues with an open attitude. I share your attitude, but I am not as
diplomatic. The purpose of these debates is to get info out to others
who have not made up their mind, not change minds that are made up,
nor should we. We need the "geek" as you so call it, to make a
breakthrough.

I have followed the auto engine movement since late 80's. At first
outlandish claims where being made: Not heaver than, faster than, more
HP than, cheaper than and so on. I am heartened almost everyone has
realistic and honest data to share. This was not always true. Lets just have
actual data so the ones who are "lurking" can get good info. Enthusiasm
and faith in ones power plant of choice needs to be tempered with facts
(both sides). Most engine conversion advocates have a very realistic
attitude, and some are doing amazing things (experiments) to improve the
breed.

You bring up a point about Eggy dropping the 160 HP engine; he just
unilateral decided to drop the 2.5L 4 banger? NSI is out of business. This
is the danger of buying from a single source. At least with Lycoming
there are 3 sources of parts. I know it sounds negative, but those "looking
in" need to know that. I personally think the joy of auto engines is the
knowlege you gain by attempting your own custom installation. The off the
shelf FWF to me is Anti-alternative engine.

I personally would love to look into the EcoTec, ? 205 Horsepower @
5600 RPM and 200 lb-ft @ 4000 RPM torque ? powers the Saturn ION
Redline, Supercharged in-line 2.0L, 4-cylinder, alum blk/head, composite
intake, DOHC roller 4 valve per. It's a very interesting engine. I am not
sure its right for a RV, but it might be right for a scale replica of a P-51 or
Spitefire. Echotec or 205HP for $4,500 new I would go with a belted drive Belt drive

My hat is off to anyone that does something out of the norm and is the
first to forge the way. As you pointed out and others have, auto engines
are not for everyone. You point to the "geek" and the other guy who has
been challenged by a working turbo set-up. This kind of tinkering and
challenge is FUN. I admit I hate my car modern car in one area, it does
not need me. I grew up on cars with points, condensers, solid lifters, carbs
and no computers. I love tinkering. However I would rather fly. So auto
engines in planes are a bit of a paradox. Some build to invent, have
something that's custom, unique and tinker with; while others buy it
seemingly to have car like turn-key operations and less maintenance.

Every engine has its plus and minus, but I still put out the challenge to the
alternative engine guys to come up with a lighter installation, less drag,
less cost, hydraulic prop and higher performance. Just buying off the shelf
is not going to do that, unless the dealer of these FWF engine kits makes
head way. The down side is a company makes business decisions. Clearly
Eggy thinks the RV-10 is the future and that he has saturated the smaller
market. (I don't agree that he will get 230HP out of it at the prop.)

The best performing and looking FWF auto engine kit is Powersport
aviation's rotary 13B powersport RV-8. Unfortunately they are
struggling, not because the kit is not excellent, but it's partly due to
competing with the best do-it-yourself product support of any auto
engine for RV's (Real World Solutions). Although they have the lowest
weight, most HP and least drag of any FWF auto engine kit, it just
matched Lycoming performance, at the expense of fuel burn, noise and
initial cost. Cost wise its not bad compared to Eggy. The Subaru Guys can
take some clues from PwrSport's example, but you will likely never be
as light as a rotary, which is the advantage of the rotary in the auto engine
world.

Drag? This is one area I can think of which can and should be improved
with water cooled engines. I would copy a P-51. A pointy cowl with no
major drag producing inlets or exits, except induction and minimal
exhaust egress. The cooling would be in a belly scoop, aka P-51. The
problem is our RV airframes where designed around air-cooled engines.
If you are willing and able to modify the bottom of the fuselage for a
scoop, that is the way to go in my opinion. Why? In early 1940's the state
of the art in water cooling aerodynamics was achieved. Why reinvent the
wheel.

Weight? Not much you can do about that except minimize it with
materials and going on an airframe weight reduction program. Hydraulic
prop? Serious engineering most likely beyond most amateur
experimenters abilities. Performance? If you take care of itself, if other
items are improve.

If any auto guys have an aerodynamic or structural engineering problem
write me. I have an aerospace background and can do structural analysis.
I don't have time to do a full blow project but I can dust off my "Bruhn"
(Analysis and Design of Flight Vehicle Structures) and give some advice.
George

Last edited:
cjensen said:
...earlier you wrote of how the fuel flows are better with the lyc, now they are the same?? i do agree about the price, but if you add fadec to a lyc and make all else equal (prop, FWF costs, electronic ignition), i've found that the egg sube is very close, if not SLIGHTLY cheaper (yes, george, even with the $8k prop!). i've said it before that if things are to be compared on the same level, they have to be compared new to new, and similarly equipped. i know that mid time lycs with a carb and FP prop will be thousands less (maybe $10k, less) than the sube, but it's not a good comparison for someone that wants new equipment.
I was being generous. I flew in Dan's RV-7 and observed the FF's running LOP and economy cruise settings. In addition I have 300hr's behind an O-360A1A (that is 37 years old and going strong.) If what EVERYONE i've read in this thread says is true, then your 10-11GPH in cruise for an H6 is 1.5-2 GPH higher than my ROP power setting in the Cardinal for an average TRIP plan (including climbout) for a trip of <2 hours at 8.5 GPH. In addition running at best economy on a longer trip I have made 7.5 GPH at 10,500'. Running the same 180HP O-360 with balenced FI would allow LOP ops and FF's much lower, widening the gap between the sube and the Lycoming. Again, I'm not say the sube is a bad engine, and I'm not saying I won't be sold on them WHEN I fly behind one, but strictly from a numbers perspective, I don't see a huge advantage either in money, fuel, or maintance for the sube (and a small advantage for the Lyc, talking FF). Adding a quart of oil every 10-15 hours doesn't bother me a bit personally, and I would check it before every flight anyway. As for running without a prop, you may find that cool, but completely pointless if you ask me, how many times are you planning on flying without a prop?;)

Thielert who does machining for one of the Lyco clone manufacturers (Superior) and builds the certified diesels has been quoted as saying the automotive QC and engineering is superior to that of the certified engine builders. They stated that the FAR33 and JAR E standards are lower than current automotive standards. Fuji and others have been involved in six sigma for over 20 years. Lyco is just starting to set up shop this way to address their problems and try to regain customer confidence.

If anyone has any documented information on Subaru bottom end failures, let's hear it. Anyone? The last person who brought this up never offered up the information when requested. My point about the 950hp Sube was merely to point out the strength and reliability of the stock parts. Do you really think you will EVER see a failure of these parts while putting out 180hp?

The MT electric props have been proven to be as or more reliable to date compared to hydraulic props. Expensive yes, unreliable no. Got any documentation to support failures or maintenance problems on the MTs used on the Egg engines? Anyone?

As I have said before, use whatever engine you want to power your RV and enjoy the flying experience. Please don't post stuff about which you know nothing about. My fuel flow is within 1 gallon/hr. of a Lyco powered RV. I'll take that any day when it comes to overhaul time.

Show me the numbers

rv6ejguy said:
Thielert who does machining for one of the Lyco clone manufacturers (Superior) and builds the certified diesels has been quoted as saying the automotive QC and engineering is superior to that of the certified engine builders. They stated that the FAR33 and JAR E standards are lower than current automotive standards. Fuji and others have been involved in six sigma for over 20 years. Lyco is just starting to set up shop this way to address their problems and try to regain customer confidence.

If anyone has any documented information on Subaru bottom end failures, let's hear it. Anyone? The last person who brought this up never offered up the information when requested. My point about the 950hp Sube was merely to point out the strength and reliability of the stock parts. Do you really think you will EVER see a failure of these parts while putting out 180hp?

The MT electric props have been prove to be as or more reliable to date compared to hydraulic props. Expensive yes, unreliable no. Got any documentation to support failures or maintenance problems on the MTs used on the Egg engines? Anyone?

As I have said before, use whatever engine you want to power your RV and enjoy the flying experience. Please don't post stuff about which you know nothing about. My fuel flow is within 1 gallon/hr. of a Lyco powered RV. I'll take that any day when it comes to overhaul time.
I doubt you have access to the data you claim you have to draw a conclusion. Flying Subaru's and electric MT prop's are a flash in the aviation pan in the big picture.

I don't think anyone has talked about things they know nothing of. I think the data was from folks who fly Eggy RV's or have flown heads up with. If you have data, please give airspeed, altitude, temp and fuel flow. Everything I have stated is based on fact. The only conjecture is about the H6's real performance with the new re-drive, but I was going on Jan's data.

As far as props, you can't possibly know what the failure rate and service reliability is. Hartzell for example has been building props since WWI, and the fact that they are certified, their history is well documented. Experimental MT prop's, although "Uhmmy and Delicious", you can't speak to the warranty claims, unless you are privileged to all factory info. They are strong, but they are not immune from problems. In fact there is an AD on one of their certitifed models for blade separation. Hey it happens. You can't blame hartzell about the guy in Alaska, who chops down trees with his prop, cuts the bent prop down with a hack saw on the plane, goes off and flys for another week like that, until the prop spits a blade off.

Car and aviation standards? There are no standards for cars, besides federal emission, noise and fuel economy standards. True, airplane engines do not meet emission or noise standards. However aircraft engines are made with the best materials, use the latest processes and QC. The tolerance on aircraft engines are extremely high. I think people look at the rough cast finish of the cylinders or case and go CRUDE. Well that is not where it counts. I don't know what your point is, airplane engine BAD, car engine GOOD. I don't know, but I would be interested in exact examples of what you are talking about.

Bottom end failures? Again Aircraft piston engines with untold millions of flight hours over the better part of the 20th century to today, verses a handful of years and high time engines measured in a thousand hours or so. Again experimental engine history is hard to track unless they make the FAA/NTSB accident data base. I just don't think you can draw a conclusion on reliability unless you have spacific data, which I contend you can not know, at least on the automotive side. However what brings auto engines down tends to be all the ancillary systems needed to make it go.

Not being defensive. I think Subaru's are great. I had a 1981 four door GL, 5 speed that was awesome. I sold it after 12 years and had sellers remorse. Loved that thing. Although I am not in the market, or need a wagon/mini SUV, if I was, A Subaru Forster or Legacy would be tops on my list.

Lyc overhauls, they cost about $6,000-$12,000. If you burn is 1 gal more an hour, at $3 gal, times 2000 hours, that is $6,000. Depending if you do the work the cost of a Lyc OH is close to $6,000. If the Subaru owner does not do the overhaul work, than your bargain OH is not a bargain, but agree parts are cheaper. Also who will overhaul your engine. It is not like there is a engine shop or A&P at every airport to work on a Subie. However my Subaru mechanics make more than the A&P at the airport. 2000 hours is well over 10 years of flying (may be 15). Whats the TBO of a Subaru? What about drive belts and redrive rebuilds? What if Eggy goes belly up? We can go round and round but with the higher cost to buy a FWF auto engine kit, you will likely take a long, long, long time to recover your "savings". Also what is the resale of a Eggy RV vs a Lycoming RV? I think there is some data there.

Last the Lycoming crank recall on ones made between 1997-2002, mostly for high HP engines. All I have to say mine is safe and stuff happens. Lycoming has paid the cost in full up to now. Would Jan at Eggy pay for full cost to repair your engine if something came up? Please read the picture below with your humor cap on; think of the Hans & Franz SNL TV bit, where the two body builders, with "Gov Arnold's" Austrian accent say "pump you up".

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/88/88ghansfranz.phtml

Geroge, "Believe me now, and hear me later" :D

Last edited:
suuuuuuuu-bbaaaaaahhhh-roooooooo

Highflight said:
While I am also in the camp that feels that no alternative engine has yet demonstrated long term advantage over the Lycoming design, I like these arguments, I mean, discussions ( ;) ) because a lot will be changing in the next 6 to 8 years.
(not picking on you vern, just stole you're quote)

sounds like: if it aint broke, don't fix it. But why not step up to some new technology?

No engine will demonstrate the long term numbers like lycomings, unless they stop production right now. not gonna happen. They have been around forever and do make reliable, bullet proof engines. They serve their purpose well, but, It is old technology. I thing it's worth considering something with newer technology. You got to start building a reputation of reliability sometime. Subaru had already done that on the road.

The subaru advantage:
Water cooling. Allows for temps to be stable and the engine can be made with tighter tolerances. so you're not buring oil and hopefully the engine is more effiecinent. The engine also has more bearings supporting the crank; shorter, faster stroke, meaning a smoother running engine.

It disturbs me to here people reject anything other than a lycoming because the alternate engines are not "tried and true". It smacks in the face what experimental aircraft are all about. if you do, you should also reject glass panel displays and stick with steam gauges. Or reject building an experimental altogether and just fly a C-152. (I have one, so don't yell at me)

This is just my opinion. I'm still building wings, so I havn't decided on an engine yet. Obviosly cost is a mojor consideration. I personally would like to have the turboprop (he says while opening a can of worms). But I don't have the money to buy or fly it. :cool:

feel free to put me in my place.
Jeff

rv6ejguy said:

AGAIN, I didn't say the crank or anything in particular will break, but at some point there could be a break down in QC (It's a human thing...) and WHEN that happens, if it happens in a small batch, the accountants would rather pay for a few overhauls by warrenty than issue a recall, it's a business decision for a company. They would much rather take a small finatial hit, then risk the bad publicity of a recall. But then again, they don't think their engine is going on an aircraft...
The MT electric props have been proven to be as or more reliable to date compared to hydraulic props. Expensive yes, unreliable no. Got any documentation to support failures or maintenance problems on the MTs used on the Egg engines? Anyone?
Not mechanical problems, they just suck for overall for performance. They don't perform decently for a person flying the aircraft in a spirted fashion. In other words, in my opinion, they are a crappy prop for the RV's.
Well, I take exception to that, I know a LOT about lycomings, and fair amount about car engines. And a smidge about putting car engines in airplanes. In addition, I refer only to numbers that people THAT FLY SUBES on THIS FORUM have referred to in the past. Just because they lean to a lycoming for being more economical isn't my fault. And just because the only advantage of the sube is that it is silky smooth and runs without a prop isn't my fault either. I just state the facts as I see them. As is pointed out 1 gallon/hr makes a big difference over 2000+hrs. So overall:

Price: A wash
Performance: Lycoming (at the moment)
Fuel Flow: Lycoming
Reliablity: A wash (Sube marginally maybe)
Smoothness: Sube

Any arguements can proceed, but don't point fingers at people, saying "Please don't post stuff about which you know nothing about." when you have no idea what we know about... and even if we don't, this is America. If I can convince one person that my opinion is fact, then it becomes fact.

BIG thanks

I want innovation. I believe in our Capitalistic system and in making current technology obsolete.

Innovation requires trial/error [and sucess] and failure before ultimate sucess. This is a costly process in time, money and effort. That is why sucessful innovators are well rewarded.

Something is going to replace Lycoming engines. PERIOD.

It is going to happen.

It will happen by people like Ross and J. Slade and others who, out of a drive to 'make something happen... WILL!!!!

My hats are off to youi guys. Don't stop. Get more on board doing more innovation.

30 years ago auto diesels were trash. Today they are superior to gas auto engines [provided you drive >10k miles a year, if not then you should consider hybrids or public transportation]. It happened because people innovated.

We need to separate the innovation aspect of engine development from its current state of circumstances.

I believe that all things considered - Subies and Lycomings are about a wash. I bet that wasn't the case 10 years ago.

I believe the future of a/c power is 'non-traditional'. It'll be others [and some of the current tribe] standing on the sholders of the current tribe innovators making it happen.

I can't wait.

I don't have the resources to be part of this process but kudos to you.

Keep at it guys!

I can't wait until it becomes reality.

Thanks,

John

no oil door

no there is still no oil door on his plane. If you look at the engine it is cleaner than any aircraft enging or any Subaru engine in a car for that matter. It dosen't spit out oil ala traditional aircraft engines.

Car and aviation standards? There are no standards for cars, besides federal emission, noise and fuel economy standards. True, airplane engines do not meet emission or noise standards. However aircraft engines are made with the best materials, use the latest processes and QC. The tolerance on aircraft engines are extremely high. I think people look at the rough cast finish of the cylinders or case and go CRUDE. Well that is not where it counts. I don't know what your point is, airplane engine BAD, car engine GOOD. I don't know, but I would be interested in exact examples of what you are talking about.

George, we know you and others don't want a Sube in your RV. Fine. Run your Lyco and Hartzell and enjoy it. You are as unlikely to sway someone who wants a Sube to consider a Lyco.

I'll refer you to "The Aviation Consumer" magazine, Sept. 2005 for the quotes from Thielert's CEO. Your statement shows your lack of knowledge about auto engines and tolerances. Japanese engine are routinely balanced to 2-3 grams on the rotating and reciprocating components. Lycos to between 10 and 25 grams depending on the part. Piston and bearing fit is maintained to .0002 variation on Japanese engines as well. Lycos recent ADs and failures CLEARLY show that materials, processes and QC are sadly lacking as they cannot turn out the same quality they were a decade ago. Even Lycos' new manager in another TAC interview recently admitted this.

So if you suddenly know more about this than Frank Thielert and Lyco's new gun and you are spouting this stuff about "quality" aero engine machining and standards, I just have to politely say, you have no clue as to the process control and QC methods used by Japanese engine manufacturers. Even Conti's new line does not even approach what was being done a decade ago in Japan and the exact reason why Lyco is now adopting six sigma.

When Superior sends their cylinders to Thielert for machining, you can bet they are doing it to get the best end product. Why else farm out this work overseas? It sure isn't cheaper up front. Combacks are a reputation and sales killer and Superior recognizes that I'm sure.

I published a complete evaluation of my Subaru RV in Kitplanes April 2005 issue along with speeds and fuel flows. We have dropped the fuel flows about 5-8% over that time. My website has extensive flight test numbers published should you care to believe them.

Finally, I can rebuild my Sube for $2000 easily including rebore, valve grind, pistons, rings, gaskets and machine work. Should I choose not to do any work, I can purchase a complete NEW longblock for $3900 last time I checked.

Talk about off topic. I posted this for people interested in seeing, touching and flying an Eggenfellner conversion in the Western US as Florida is a long ways away. It was my mistake to mention anything about Lyco cranks. Please forgive me for that. If you are not interested in this stuff, please just skip on by. Clearly, many people are interested. Look at the response to this thread!

rv6ejguy said:
I published a complete evaluation of my Subaru RV in Kitplanes April 2005 issue along with speeds and fuel flows. We have dropped the fuel flows about 5-8% over that time. My website has extensive flight test numbers published should you care to believe them.
i can attest to the website info from rv6ejguy. i've read his entire site, and there a TON of info on the numbers. very extensive research information.

CAUTION: reading the material may be enlightening!!

Don't anyone move, and no body will get hurt

rv6ejguy said:
George, we know you and others don't want a Sube in your RV. Fine. Run your Lyco and Hartzell and enjoy it. You are as unlikely to sway someone who wants a Sube to consider a Lyco.!
I am not trying to convince you or anyone of anything. I am just responding to "comments" regarding Lycoming or conclusions about auto engines and statistics I did not agree with. That's all.

Its no big deal, no sudden movements, no one will get hurt. :rolleyes:

I love auto engines. I have built up many in my years from mild to wild. I also have been into a few aircraft engine's so I know a little. I will concede you know more about auto engine, and I mean that sincerely, respectfully and humbly. I have referenced you site many times. However to be fair your set-up is highly one-off custom that most builders don't have the ability to reproduce. I hope you sell a kit some day. It should be the best. I have read you side front to back, and enjoy it very much, but your plane and efforts are not typical. Take that as a compliment not a complaint.

As far as tolerance, I hear the reciprocating mass balance number as a "See, look Lycomings are not precision". Look balance is critical at 6,200 RPM, but not so much at 2,600. If you look at TRUE tolerances, like flatness and dimensional ones, you will find very high tolerances where needed. As an engineer and consultant to Boeing and Pratt & Whitney I know about tolerance stack-up. Your point is fun facts, but moot to engineers. If Lycoming wanted to up the tolerance they could. However this is a limit. If you want to "blue print" you lycoming you can. The resulting change will be negligible. Yes it might be smoother? When you talk about a BIG bore, low RPM, high torque, horizontally opposed engine, you will have vibrations no matter what. Balance is not super critical, but agree it could be better. The bottom line is, does it make the HP it was designed to make, go to TBO. All the balance to one-half of the hair on nats-ass is really not important. Lycoming has commented on their balance weights and feel satisfied that it is not an issue for a Lycoming engine. Again this issue is easily solved during top overhaul, with a scale and dremel tool. I think Lycoming is worried more about taking material out and causing a problem for some ham handed mechanics. I admit when I overhauled my O360A1A core (I paied $2000 for the core btw), I (actually my AI friend) balanced all the piston/rod pairs. This reminds me of a benefit of the Lycoming, you can pull the "Jugs" with the engine still mounted in the airframe. (Ref: Sacramento Sky Ranch, engineering manual for Lycoming and Continental engines)
What Lycoming says about engine mods and reliability

When someone implies the bottom end of a Lycoming is weak, MT props are immune of issues or somehow there is statistical proof of auto engine reliability, I have to make a comment. I JUST HAVE TO. :D

No one said (at least I didn't) that Subaru's are subject to structural failure. As far as Lycoming, except for the few thousand cranks made in the late 90's, Lyc cranks are designed to go 30,000 hours and with a high margin of safety. The reason is the stress levels are very low. Pleases draw no conclusion about about Subaru from my positive comments regarding the structural integrity of a Lycoming crank. As a former professional structural aerospace engineer (now fly boy) I worked with all kinds of aircraft structures, military and commercial, ultimate and fatigue strength and life. The crank is not the weak point on the Lycoming. Exhaust Valve temp is the Achilles heal.

By the way I did not bring UP any issue, I only responded. So if alternative engine folks don't want a debate about engines than don't make untenable comments about Lycomings that can't be back up. As I wrote my "Mission statement" is not to defame but to get good data free of rhetoric. That goes for Lycomings as well. I already know the weak areas from collected wisdom of Lycoming, mechanics and pilots, which taught us "airheads" how to operate and maintain them to maximum efficiency and service life.

I agree that auto guys are getting a great start, no argument, but comments for alternative engine guys that, "You don't want anything new or modern", is just ridiculous. It's like saying that we are ignorant, uniformed and can't understand the advantages. I can assure you I have given the auto engine subject much consideration. Yes, there is a degree of, going with what works, going with what you know and the path of least resistance (and cost). All good reasons to pick a Lycoming. It is not for lack of appreciation of Japanese motor engineering and manufacturing. (I have two Acuras)

Market demand picks the winner if you want to think like that. Right now it is Lycoming. There is no reason to hate Lycoming. I don't think there are many Lycoming that are really ANTI-alternative engines, just a bunch of plane builders watching eagerly for great results in the future, but to be honest I don't think you (the auto engine community) is there quite yet.

I have seen some auto engines in planes that where so well done with very complicated highly engineered installations. Those looked promising. However because I don't have the resources (most don't) to emulate these super one-off installations, I would also look at Eggy or Powersport FWF kits. When I crunch the numbers the Lycoming wins from, ease of installation, cost, performance, weight and efficiency. I am not sorry for those conclusions. Please respect them as I respect your choice or anyone's choice to fly behind a Ford, Chevy, VW, Mazda or Subaru.

I WANT to hear things that make me want to buy an auto engine conversion for my plane. As I said and we discussed before, cooling drag must be lowered, weight must be lowered and lower cost for bolt in installations are needed, before the alternative engine revolution "takes off". It is nice to talk about how superior auto engines water cooling it, but you have a big problem getting those radiators to fit and be low drag.

In the end we are talking about the same Otto cycle four stroke engine. A Subaru is not an advanced engine. It is a 4-stroke engine. Yes the Subaru has Overhead cams, electronic ignintion and water cooling. The FACT is those "advantages" are not very important in an AIR-PLANE. If you told a bunch of engineers to make a light, simple, reliable engine to drive a prop 2300-2500 RPM all day it would likely look like a Lycoming. DOHC, EFI water cooling is not as critical to an airplane as it is almost required in a car (to get the emissions/fuel economy over a wide range of speeds and loads).

An air cooled engine is the state of the art for aircraft engine technology, that engineers in the 30's-60's could do. If they wanted to use water cooling they could have and would have. The Wright Bros used water cooling in 1903! :eek: Water cooling is NOT NEW technology. There is a reason for air cooling, not the least of which is low weight, simplicity and less drag. Does this mean water cooling can't be revisited and made to work? NO. The P-51 was arguably the best and most famous fighter or WWII, water cooled. However it was not an after thought to the airframe. The airframe was designed around the water cooled engine (hint hint). If I was doing a H2O plane I would COPY the P-51.

There is nothing wrong with gear reduction, but it needs to be part of the engine, not an after thought bolt on. If the ideas that you all have are going to be realised, a dedicated custom engine needs to be designed with H2O, gear reduction, Hyd Prop all in one. Next the airframe needs to be optimized. For the time being auto engines are a series of compromises to fit a liquid cooled engine where a air cooled engine went, in an airframe designed for that air cooled engine. The reduction drives and make do electric props are workarounds not ideal solutions. (I apologize for my opinion. )

Eggy's radiators are stuffed into the stock cowl inlet; it works but is not ideal. Many put radiators on the firewall, which seems to be a small improvement. Last, as I think you are doing, a "P-51" belly scoop holds the most promise, but that needs to be done with an aerodynamic cowl. The problem with reduction drives are they tend to make the front end blunt, unlike the Rolls Royce Merlin (circa 1932) that was long and slender. It was also super charged which is key to raising efficiency and power to weight ratio. Of course this brings more complexity and cost. TANSTAAFL. There is no ideal perfect way better solution, just a series of compromises.

George :)

Last edited:
Back