What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Oshkosh 2006 Announcements

MelJordan

This morning on the Dynon Forum, Dynon announced a number of new features which include:

Optional new 7" displays that are twice as bright as the previous versions, and also the ability to upgrade the older 7" units to the new brighter dislpay. To be available in October.

Also announced are new free software functions that include an HSI function with GS for SL30 users, CDI for GPS, winds aloft and cross winds, MPG, fuel at waypoint, Trim and Flap indications, shock cooling alarm, EGT /CHT span alarms, and more. This new free firmware upgrade is estimated to be available in September.

You can get the details on the Dynon forum at;

www.dynonavionics.com/forum

Look under the "EFIS General Discussions" tab

Mel Jordan
RV-6A
Tucson

Ain't competition great? :D:p I was just thinking "Advanced Flight Systems seems to offer a little more than Dynon... maybe I'll go their way." The next week Dynon is announcing most if not all of the same features. I am curious if the Dynon EHSI has a bearing pointer. Anyone know? I'll have to dig into their forums and documentation.

Competition Is GOOD

Brian130 said:
Ain't competition great?
Absolutely!

The biggest item here for me is the brightness. I've recently been flying with a D10A, and the small screen size and so-so sunlight readibility have been driving me crazy. A brighter 7" display is just the ticket. The second biggest item is the real-time winds.

Mel... using your insight into the factory..... :)

Is the CDI/HSI function driven by serial data, or is it a new differential (+/- 150 mV?) analog signal that can replace most CDIs? Still leaves the resolver problem though.... :confused:

gil in Tucson

az_gila said:
Mel... using your insight into the factory..... :)
not sure about Mel, but my insight comes from chatting at the Dynon booth here at Oshkosh yesterday. :D

Is the CDI/HSI function driven by serial data, or is it a new differential (+/- 150 mV?) analog signal that can replace most CDIs? Still leaves the resolver problem though.... :confused:
serial only, SL30 protocol like other vendors do.

Ciao, Luca

That is my understanding also, for now the HSI is serial only, which is why it is restricted to the SL30. We can only hope that Dynon is working on an analog input version with resolver for a future release.

Mel

Brian130 said:
I am curious if the Dynon EHSI has a bearing pointer. Anyone know? I'll have to dig into their forums and documentation.
My D100 isn't even two weeks old and it is out of date. :(

Oh well, the upgrade is resonable.

Brian, the answer to your question is, yes, it has a bearing pointer. From what I've been hearing from Dynon, there is still a lot more free upgrades to come. The addtion of the DG with a GPS driven heading bug is just the start.

And to think, those upgrades are free software upgrades.

These changes are definitely competition induced. People have been asking for a CDI/HSI and the trim indicators since the D10 first came out. And now suddenly they implement them as the AFS system is coming to market. I bet the next free upgrade will be the round dial mode that Rob posted a picture of last week. ;)

N941WR said:
My D100 isn't even two weeks old and it is out of date. :(

Oh well, the upgrade is resonable.

My D180 is just a few months old, and I certainly want the brighter screen. I think it's great that Dynon allows us to upgrade. Other companies (cough, Garmin) don't offer any upgrade path, except to sell the old one and buy a new one.

Cheers,
Rusty (just sold my unused 396 and bought a 496)

Dynon ScreenShots

Pictures from Dynon's Support Forum:

dynon1tt1.jpg

dynon2jw8.jpg

dynon3xu8.jpg

dynon4xn2.jpg

Back