What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon D-180 autopilot

prkaye

Well Known Member
I have an older D-180 unit. My understanding is that the only thing i would need to buy to enable the autpilot functiaonlity is the servo+mounting kits, and that everything else is contained in the D-180. Is this correct? Are the current line of Dynon servos compatible with the D-180? Any Pireps on this system?

I have an older D-180 unit. My understanding is that the only thing i would need to buy to enable the autpilot functiaonlity is the servo+mounting kits, and that everything else is contained in the D-180. Is this correct? Are the current line of Dynon servos compatible with the D-180? Any Pireps on this system?
Yes, I did it as an addiction after my airplane had been flying for several years. Not too difficult and works great. I have the D-180 as well.

D180 also needs GPS navigational input.
Not really but nice to have.

Had a D180 with autopilot for the last 9 years and it worked great. I did have it connected to my iFly GPS and my Garmin GNC255 for LOC/GS display and tracking on the D180, but you can easily fly just in a heading mode. I just recently upgraded to a Dynon HDX and the servos are the same. The only difference is that with the D180 you connect only 5 of the 7 servo wires. Keep the extra two wires, do not cut them, because if you upgrade later on, those wires are used with the newer system. Save yourself some time and make your wire harness with 7 wires now so you don't have to redo it later. I wish I had. You can control the autopilot through the D180 but it is easier to use an HS34 or an AP74 controller, neither of which are made anymore.

The only issue I ever had with the D180 and the autopilot was a tendency to wander left and right on a course line. A little dance if you would. Nothing too bad but compared to the newer HDX that one is rock solid. Tried to change settings to alleviate this but no joy. If you do connect your D180 to a GPS or even a VOR, the autopilot also does not lead the turn like the newer systems do. You'll overfly the waypoint/fix every time and overshoot on the backside. I tended to prefer using the heading mode to stay on track and that would also hold rock steady instead of the slight wandering in track mode.

YMMV

Had a D180 with autopilot for the last 9 years and it worked great. I did have it connected to my iFly GPS and my Garmin GNC255 for LOC/GS display and tracking on the D180, but you can easily fly just in a heading mode. I just recently upgraded to a Dynon HDX and the servos are the same. The only difference is that with the D180 you connect only 5 of the 7 servo wires. Keep the extra two wires, do not cut them, because if you upgrade later on, those wires are used with the newer system. Save yourself some time and make your wire harness with 7 wires now so you don't have to redo it later. I wish I had. You can control the autopilot through the D180 but it is easier to use an HS34 or an AP74 controller, neither of which are made anymore.

The only issue I ever had with the D180 and the autopilot was a tendency to wander left and right on a course line. A little dance if you would. Nothing too bad but compared to the newer HDX that one is rock solid. Tried to change settings to alleviate this but no joy. If you do connect your D180 to a GPS or even a VOR, the autopilot also does not lead the turn like the newer systems do. You'll overfly the waypoint/fix every time and overshoot on the backside. I tended to prefer using the heading mode to stay on track and that would also hold rock steady instead of the slight wandering in track mode.

YMMV
Cool thanks all. This seems like the most cost-effective way for me to get basic A/P functionality. Now that I have my IFR Rating and flying longer trips in cloud i've been wanting to get something to relieve the workload.

D180 also needs GPS navigational input.
... it supports NMEA-0183 or aviation format

which means most handheld navigators will work. I just looked at the manual for a Garmin GPSMAP 196, and it will provide the nav input to your Dynon. One for sale on eBay for $205 ... so if you don't have any GPS, this is a low $ way to get it to follow a track.

Cool thanks all. This seems like the most cost-effective way for me to get basic A/P functionality. Now that I have my IFR Rating and flying longer trips in cloud i've been wanting to get something to relieve the workload.
Dynon's upgrade rebate pushed me over the edge to upgrade the D180. You get $1500 for your D180 when upgrade to an HDX system. Dynon only has limited parts to repair that D180, the D10A magnetometer, the HS34 and/or the AP74 if anything needs fixing. Since you're going to be wiring up servos anyway, it's something to consider. Wiring for all your engine sensors is plug and play from the D180 except for maybe one pin on the D37 connector if I remember correctly. The rest of the wiring is super simple compared to building the wire harness for the D180. Dynon has a D10/D100 Series to SkyView Conversion Guide that's easy to follow.

Food for thought.

Thanks all. I know there are lot of wonderful options that i *could* do if had more money to spend right now. But I'm constrained on that front right now so I'm looking for the most economical way to get a basic capability. Back to the D-180, if I start by only installing a pitch servo, will the system function adequately as a simple altitude-hold? Would there be any issues with hand-flying the roll axis without disturbing the A/P pitch control?

Thanks all. I know there are lot of wonderful options that i *could* do if had more money to spend right now. But I'm constrained on that front right now so I'm looking for the most economical way to get a basic capability. Back to the D-180, if I start by only installing a pitch servo, will the system function adequately as a simple altitude-hold? Would there be any issues with hand-flying the roll axis without disturbing the A/P pitch control?
Shouldn't be a problem. I found the pitch control solid but as Carlos151 said, it often hunts for the course line. I would fly altitude hold only an hand fly the roll without any issue.

I have an AP74 available from a recent upgrade if you decide to add one.

YMMV

YMMV
My D180, hooked up to a Garmin 420W, leads the turn beautifully and will line up precisely on track even in an acute turn. I don’t think it will do it with a non-WAAS GPS though - that might be your issue. And there’s no wandering at all. An excellent autopilot in my view.
Jack

My D180, hooked up to a Garmin 420W, leads the turn beautifully and will line up precisely on track even in an acute turn. I don’t think it will do it with a non-WAAS GPS though - that might be your issue. And there’s no wandering at all. An excellent autopilot in my view.
Jack
Same experience here (430W). I also have both AP74 and HS37 because I like the knobs and buttons, but the straight D100 contols work fine.

The servos are the same as Skyview. My plan is to keep it the same until things stop working. D100 will be replaced with Skyview. 430W will be replaced with IFD.

EDIT: Turn anticipation may be a navigator function, not the D1xx autopilot function. Smart people can chime in on that.

Last edited:
Same experience here (430W). I also have both AP74 and HS27 because I like the knobs and buttons, but the straight D100 contols work fine.

The servos are the same as Skyview. My plan is to keep it the same until things stop working. D100 will be replaced with Skyview. 430W will be replaced with IFD.

EDIT: Turn anticipation may be a navigator function, not the D1xx autopilot function. Smart people can chime in on that.
Shouldn't be a problem. I found the pitch control solid but as Carlos151 said, it often hunts for the course line. I would fly altitude hold only an hand fly the roll without any issue.

I have an AP74 available from a recent upgrade if you decide to add one.
Thanks Kevin! I sent you a PM about the AP74

Back