What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do B and C alternators have plastic drive gears??

Kooshball

Well Known Member
I just received my B and C, SD-20 alternator back from the overhaul shop and it appears that it has a plastic drive gear in it. They are closed for the weekend, but hopefully somebody here can tell me if that is in fact, what it should have or did something get shipped with a test gear from the factory.

Thx!

I just received my B and C, SD-20 alternator back from the overhaul shop and it appears that it has a plastic drive gear in it. They are closed for the weekend, but hopefully somebody here can tell me if that is in fact, what it should have or did something get shipped with a test gear from the factory.
Thx!
Making some assumptions here relative to the wording in your post. Coupling is typically some type of plastic, nylon, etc. it is designed to shear in the event of some upset condition to prevent damage to related hardware; engine acc drive in this case. If I read or assumed wrong, let me know.

Edit = provide a pic of the suspected item. This would put the speculation to bed.

Making some assumptions here relative to the wording in your post. Coupling is typically some type of plastic, nylon, etc. it is designed to shear in the event of some upset condition to prevent damage to related hardware; engine acc drive in this case. If I read or assumed wrong, let me know.

Edit = provide a pic of the suspected item. This would put the speculation to bed.
Sorry for the late reply, I checked with B&C and confirmed that the drive gear is a composite and mine is consistent with their photos online.

Thx!

IMG_4258.png

Back