What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Distance from control stick to seat back

Seems I am the only FAA Standard Human left on the planet. Or perhaps I have not found any of my passengers to fit the FAA's definition. No one, and I mean no one fits behind my passenger stick at full up elevator. And yes, I know some of you will tell me to remove the passenger stick and everything will be fine. I like the stick over there, and I'd like to keep it.

I'm curious if others have this issue? Those that don't, can you give me a measurement from the top of your stick to the seat back (with cushion removed)? I'm toying with adjusting rod end bearings to give my passengers a couple more inches. Let me know your thoughts.

Seems I am the only FAA Standard Human left on the planet. Or perhaps I have not found any of my passengers to fit the FAA's definition. No one, and I mean no one fits behind my passenger stick at full up elevator. And yes, I know some of you will tell me to remove the passenger stick and everything will be fine. I like the stick over there, and I'd like to keep it.

I'm curious if others have this issue? Those that don't, can you give me a measurement from the top of your stick to the seat back (with cushion removed)? I'm toying with adjusting rod end bearings to give my passengers a couple more inches. Let me know your thoughts.
Put in the RV-14 mod first then move or add a couple the bottom seat hinges back another row or two. I'm 6'3" 200 lb and have an RV-6A and did both mods. I have lots of room.
But my luck varies FIXIT

I haven’t noticed that problem with either RV6 I’ve built, or any of the RV7’s I’ve flown from the left or right seat. If you can make sure your left and right stick are vertical, relative to your canopy side rail when it’s in level flight, and with the elevator in the neutral position, that would be the first thing to check. If it isn’t, re-rig it. If you re-rig it, make sure you can get full control moment to the installed stops without interference with anything in the cockpit. If after measuring that, if you still have interference with your passenger, your passenger seat may need to be adjusted. If your passenger seat back is already installed in the aft most hinge, maybe you can add another seat back bottom hinge further aft for more room.

How thick is the seat back cushion? Our upholstery shop 'did us a favor' and added additional foam, losing at least an inch of aft stick room.

Item 2: how far forward does the stick go? You can adjust the elevator pushrods to have it go further forward....

What Scott said above plus
How long is your passenger stick? Does it have a large stick grip on it?
Do you not have the same issue on the pilot side? Why not?

Most of the time, you hear about people having an issue with the stick hitting the panel--not the passenger. How much room do you have between the stick and the panel? If that's a big gap, I'd make the rod end adjustments others are suggesting to move the stick tip forward. If you don't have a gap there, moving the seat is probably your best option.

If my plane wasn't down for its annual condition inspection, I'd measure the distance you requested. Surely someone else can get that for you.

Back