What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dimensions of the U-415X Main gear leg ?

KeithO

Well Known Member
Can anyone building an RV4 confirm whether U-415X is the current model main gear leg for the RV4 ? That part number has no description in the Vans online store but from the format of the part number I believe it is an undercarriage part and the price is pretty close to other main gears. Is the left and right gear leg identical (same part number ?)

If someone has one of these in their shop or in a build, could you confirm the length from the upper end of the rod to where the theoretical intersection of the gear leg and axle portion would be, and the approximate included angle of the bend of the axle portion of the gear. I have heard than on the shorter RV4 gear the nut to nut distance of the gear is 74".

Thank you
Keith

A couple things

Keith, I can't answer your question without measuring mine (long gear & flying), however the RV-4 plans include all the dimensions , as those plans were detailed enough for full scratch build. My particular -4 has long gear which came in the finish kit, but my plans were from before longs were available. Virtually all of the gear legs were built by Harmon Lange at Langair Machining, and he would be the most "accurate" answer to all your questions.http://www.langair.com/ . With not knowing whether you are seeking a single leg, or just data, I can also tell you Harmon can straighten a damaged one (most) to like new or match drill a replacement..he even specs out how to build the shipping crate and a standard cost for repair. I have seen his miracles on a few reworks vs. new.

A builder in MN sent me the prints for the short RV4 gear leg and based on that info I was able to determine that a taildragger configuration for my lightning was not going to be feasible using the engine mount as the attachment point. The gear would be raked back about 45 degrees to put the wheel in the required position based on the Pazmany book on landing gear.

Its simply a problem caused by the Jabiru 3300 being a light engine and therefore being moved quite a ways forward (with the firewall) to counterbalance pilot and passenger (+ luggage) being seated behind the CG position. So now I will instead design new steel gear legs for the tricycle configuration and replace the Vans style aluminium nose gear with a steel trailing arm nose gear used by Jabiru on the 430. It has built in rubber suspension and is also steerable using the rudder pedals. Overall is not nearly as drastic as trying to make a taildragger out of it...

Thanks for all who made recommendations.

Back