What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Definition of “Model Family”

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
When determining qualifications for a Qualified Pilot under the APP program, what is meant by “model family”?

I’m think about tailwheels in particular. Could it be similar aircraft such as RV-8/F1/Extra/Panzl?

If we parse it the way the government usually parses things, it does not say ”aircraft with similar performance and handling characteristics” (in this case). I interpret “Model family” to be aircraft of similar design, ie “all RV tail draggers” or “all Sonex tail draggers”. Elsewhere in the APP program, it does talk about “similar aircraft”, and there my interpretation is different - if it flies much the same, then it is similar.

Just my personal interpretation!

Last edited:
If we parse it the way teh government usually parks things, it does not say ”aircraft with similar performance and handling characteristics” (in this case). I interpret “Model family” to be aircraft of similar design, ie “all RV tail draggers” or “all Sonex tail draggers. Elsewhere in the APP program, it does talk about “similar aircraft”, and there my interpretation is different - if it flies much the same, then it is similar.

Just my personal interpretation!
I agree with Paul. For the purpose of a qualified pilot for the Additional Pilot Program, the "Model Family" would be all RVs, not any aircraft with handling characteristics similar to an RV. When discussing "similar aircraft" rather than "model family" the pool would be expanded to any aircraft with similar performance characteristics.

Back