What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DB25 connector for AP74

prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm buying a used AP74 unit but i need to fabricate/find a harness for it. It's apparently a DB25 male connector with 4 wires I think. I have never wired a connector like this before. I'm wondering if I could just buy a standard computer printer cable, and cut it apart and use only the wires I need? Otherwise, to fabricate my own DB25, I guess I need to get a special crimper for the pins? Or can they be soldered or use solder-sleeves? Or is there a place i can buy a generic harness and just use the wires I need?

Last edited:
I'm buying a used AP74 unit but i need to fabricate/find a harness for it. It's apparently a DB25 male connector with 4 wires I think. I have never wired a connector like this before. I'm wondering if I could just buy a standard computer printer cable, and cut it apart and use only the wires I need? Otherwise, to fabricate my own DB25, I guess I need to get a special crimper for the pins? Or can they be soldered or use solder-sleeves? Or is there a place i can buy a generic harness and just use the wires I need?
Might as well buy one now. You'll eventually need it again somewhere else. For this no need for the high dollar crimper. Stein sells a one that will do just fine. Get the wire from Stein as well.
Here's the connector from Dynon.

Might as well buy one now. You'll eventually need it again somewhere else. For this no need for the high dollar crimper. Stein sells a one that will do just fine. Get the wire from Stein as well.
Here's the connector from Dynon.

Phil, here's what you're getting along with your used AP74. It has:
- Female DB25 connector
- Power
- Ground
- DSAB A & DSAB B
- Audio out

I tried to keep everything as long as possible when it was removed from the aircraft. The shortest wire is the ground @ 20", the rest are about 26". Hopefully you can reuse it, based on where it's being located in relation to everything else. Depending on the other end, you may or may not need the crimper and pins - it depends on if you have the DSAB network broken out to a common point or if you need to plumb it into the connector for the D180. If you do need to crimp I also recommend the crimper from Stein, I used it to build my new HDX harnesses and it works great. Make sure you get the correct gender pins for both ends.

PM me when you are ready and I can help with the wiring, it's fairly easy as avionics go.

Attachments

• PXL_20240514_141916993.jpg
    PXL_20240514_141916993.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
Phil, here's what you're getting along with your used AP74. It has:
- Female DB25 connector
- Power
- Ground
- DSAB A & DSAB B
- Audio out

I tried to keep everything as long as possible when it was removed from the aircraft. The shortest wire is the ground @ 20", the rest are about 26". Hopefully you can reuse it, based on where it's being located in relation to everything else. Depending on the other end, you may or may not need the crimper and pins - it depends on if you have the DSAB network broken out to a common point or if you need to plumb it into the connector for the D180. If you do need to crimp I also recommend the crimper from Stein, I used it to build my new HDX harnesses and it works great. Make sure you get the correct gender pins for both ends.

PM me when you are ready and I can help with the wiring, it's fairly easy as avionics go.
Thansk again Kevin! I'm really excited to install the autpilot and this module. I did 2.5 hours in heavy IMC today, and i kept thinking how much nicer it will be with an A/P :)

Back